Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Hi,

anybody uses Yongnuo flashes at receptions?

Got one of my SB 910 stolen and took two of my old Yangnuo flashes with to a wedding today.

Had them set up in the cornes of reception on Strattos triggers. Problem was that they turned off after a while. Aaaargh, what a bl... nightmare. Managed to go trough, though (had some Nikon flashes with me as well) but still.

Anybody knows if you can turn the auto-off off?

heiko

Nov 15, 2014 at 08:08 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

I dont think so, I've had the same irritation I just have to remember to go back and manually turn them on after long breaks, or occasionally fire them during dinner. I think it's about 15 mins before they turn off.

Nov 15, 2014 at 09:21 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

you should be able to keep them on, which model?

I've used some YN flashes at weddings, though my next wedding in a few weeks I'm planning to go all YN with the new 560 IV controlling a couple 560 IIIs.

Nov 15, 2014 at 09:24 PM
loosetrucks
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

I've had mine turn off as well (usually after eating the vendor meal). Curious to see if there's a fix to this.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Mine turn of as well.

I haven't been able to find a correlation of the loss of power and my vendor meal tho. Something to look for at my next wedding for sure.

Nov 16, 2014 at 01:56 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Mine turn off as well. Just need to fire them once during my meal to keep them on. They turn off after 15-20 minutes of nonuse.

Nov 16, 2014 at 02:53 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

It took about 10 minutes to turn off!

heiko

Nov 16, 2014 at 03:53 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

When I shot with the older YN flashes I used to hit the trigger button a few times while I was eating.

Nov 16, 2014 at 04:01 AM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

It sounds like the auto shutoff feature, it can be turned off and/or time adjusted in the custom functions of the flash on the 560III at least.
What model are you using? Probably just break the manual out, it should say what to change in broken english.

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:01 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

of course if anyone figures it out, please post here since the manuals on those things are not so easy to understand. I think mine go into sleep mode and it can be woken up and then at some point they turn off and you have to go back and turn them on. At my last wedding I did test them while I was eating and they had already gone off, not that much time had passed.

Nov 16, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Did you change the custom function?

While it varies based on the individual model, there's almost always a custom function that allows you to change the auto-power-off mode, not only to On/Off but also the time in some different modes.

These can vary from 10 minutes to 5 hours, but without knowing which model it is it's hard to help.

Nov 16, 2014 at 09:22 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

YN 560 II

I do not even know how to access the custom menu.

heiko

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Is it just me or does anyone else find it difficult to keep tract of all the different YN models and which one is best for your needs?

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Yes. You have to hold the music note button until the light turns on red. The light is in the lower left of the back of thr flash

Nov 16, 2014 at 01:47 PM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

YONGNUO designs the power saving mode for YN560. This mode is enabled or disabled by a long press of
[Sound Switch]. In M mode, if the power saving mode is enabled, the flash keeps idle for 3 minutes and then it will
step into the dormancy state in order to save power. You can press [PILOT] or [Power Switch] to awake the flash to
continue operation. It will automatically shutdown after keeping idle for 15 minutes. If you disabled the power
saving mode, the power saving indicator will be on. The flash won’t step into the dormancy state after being stopped.
It will automatically shut down
...Show more

The full user manual for the 560 (not sure if it's the same for version II as I have all III's)
http://www.yongnuoebay.com/sm/yn5601.pdf

Either way guys, the manuals are really not that hard to read and figure out how to do it

Edit; Actually just checked, this is the same for version II as well. So you just hold down the sound button for a few seconds until that light indicator turns off or changes colors.
The 560II manual http://yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/pdf/YN5602y.pdf

Edited on Nov 16, 2014 at 02:08 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2014 at 02:02 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

Just looked mine up (560 II) and there is no way to permanently turn the feature off. I've done the music note button thing and it only extends the time before it shuts off from 15 mins to 30 mins (hold the music note for 3 secs). If you are using the flashes in slave mode it will shut off after 60 mins.

http://yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/pdf/YN5602y.pdf (pg 36-37)

Strobist says the same about the 560:

"The YN560 offers a power saving mode, which will idle the flash after 3 mins. The instruction manual says you can wake it back up from its slumber by pressing the test button or the power button. Presumably, the test circuit could also be activated by a hard trigger at the PC jack, but probably not via the slave. After 15 mins of being dormant, the flash will turn itself off. If you are in either slave mode, the flash will extend the dormancy period to 30 mins. That's pretty cool, but here's where it goes off the rails. If you...Show more

Nov 16, 2014 at 02:04 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

560 III you can turn sleep off, I just checked on mine

Nov 16, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

mirrorrim wrote:
Just looked mine up (560 II) and there is no way to permanently turn the feature off. I've done the music note button thing and it only extends the time before it shuts off from 15 mins to 30 mins (hold the music note for 3 secs). If you are using the flashes in slave mode it will shut off after 60 mins.

This. And I think 30 minutes may be wishful thinking.

Nov 16, 2014 at 03:32 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

I may have accidentally changed mine because when I am turning the beep on or off sometimes I hold that button in too long...

Nov 16, 2014 at 04:53 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Yongnuo flashes turn off...

mirrorrim wrote:

http://yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/pdf/YN5602y.pdf (pg 36-37)

Strobist says the same about the 560:

"

thanks for posting the link, I found it very helpful!!!

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.