Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

Chuck Brit

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

Even the Rebel's not that bad, Bill. Let me dig out my old 30D if you want to see spots. I could shoot a pic of a white cat and pass it off for a Snow Leopard.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

I vote leave it be. Its not going to be visible in photos so no reason to risk sensor damage

Nov 16, 2014 at 04:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

billsamuels wrote:
Hot off the presses - this is from my old Rebel XTi. Much worse off.

Reminds me of my old 5D.

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:16 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

If I had a sensor that was as clean as the OP's at f22 I'd be delighted.

That is not a dirty sensor IMHO.

Nov 16, 2014 at 06:54 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

billsamuels wrote:
SO now I tried to clean the sensor on my Rebels XTi with the dry cleaning kit and it doesn't come clean. There are some white areas that look like shmutz that look like it needs a wet chemical on a q-tip to get it off.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's the best wet sensor cleaning kit to get for this?

I've had good luck wet cleaning sensors with sensor swabs and eclipse solution. I've tried pec pads, and most of the other recommended cleaning methods, they make my sensor dirtier.

It takes me 5 swabs to clean a really dirty sensor. If I clean it more often, two will do the job. Just make one swipe per swap otherwise, you will spread debris all over the sensor.

Get the right size for your sensor.

The swabs are expensive, $4 each, so $20 per major cleaning, but work so much better for me.

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByKeyword.aspx?word=sensor+swab

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Serious Question - Sensor poop issue, clean or not to clean???

I have had no issues with eclipse alcohol and a cleaning spatula with Pec pads. I even cut the pads into 4 pieces. I wear latex gloves and do not directly touch the pads. I usually clean 4-5 times with fresh pads each time. I bought my supplies about 5 years ago for $30. Once you get used to relying on a clean sensor, you never want to avoid the few minutes it takes to clean the sensor.

My first DSLR was a Canon 450D which had a problem with excess oil on the shutter. I had to clean the sensor several times in the first year until the oil problem went away. That camera has long since been replaced but I still need to wet clean my sensors on rare occasions.

I like to keep my sensors clean regardless of the f stop but I do shoot quite a bit at f/20 or f/22 mainly for macro photography where I need all the DOF I can get.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.