FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Junebug Reflections

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Junebug Reflections

It's been very warm this winter, so warm that when I went looking for a test target for a new diffuser design I found a Junebug. I took theses images with the critter on some glossy black plexiglass. On a related note: I'm having way too much fun with this Canon 70D, and my only regret is not buying one when they first came out.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (@1x & 2x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Junebug Reflections

Scarabeids are some of my favourite beetles. I like to rendering of the sculpturing and colours.

Harold

Nov 15, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Lee Nelson
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Junebug Reflections

Wow, powerful contrast and color along with superb lighting and detail.
Ah, that about covers what I feel.

Really nice work John

Lee

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:30 AM
orionmystery
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Junebug Reflections

Lovely shots, John!

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:43 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Junebug Reflections

Lovely captures John
Brian v.

Nov 16, 2014 at 02:48 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Junebug Reflections

Thanks folks

I'm pretty much done messing with my light, so now I'm spending more time on composition and post processing.

Nov 16, 2014 at 03:11 AM
jongatmosfera

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Junebug Reflections

John, could you upload an image of your new diffuser setup?

Nov 16, 2014 at 04:02 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Junebug Reflections

jongatmosfera wrote:
John, could you upload an image of your new diffuser setup?

I could, but all you're going to see is the outside of it (built around a set of Gary Fong Puffer Plus diffusers). I didn't create a construction video cause I don't intend to give out detailed instructions on this one. Not trying to be a jerk, but in the process of learning how to diffuse the MT-24EX I taught myself a lot about light and how to manipulate it to get the light quality that I want. When things go wrong I also know why and what I need to do to correct the problem. If I just give you my diffuser you'll skip all of the important steps that I took to figure out how to build it. You won't learn anything about the light, or how to bend it to your will, and you won't know how to solve the problems that you run into.

TL;DR: I'm not doing you any favors by giving you my diffuser...

Nov 16, 2014 at 04:30 AM
jongatmosfera

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Junebug Reflections

Okay, I understand. The reason I wanted to see your diffuser setup is that in the first image the flash didn't seem to reach far enough to light up the left side of the beetle's upper back. Or did you do that on purpose?

Nov 16, 2014 at 04:56 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Junebug Reflections

jongatmosfera wrote:
...The reason I wanted to see your diffuser setup is that in the first image the flash didn't seem to reach far enough to light up the left side of the beetle's upper back. Or did you do that on purpose?

Relative to me I had the key flash at 11 O'clock and the fill at 2 O'clock, so yes the light falling off toward the back is deliberate. There's no need to fully light an area that's going to be out of focus, and with the fill hitting the subject to my right (its left) I'm getting the light in the area that's in focus.

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:08 AM
jongatmosfera

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Junebug Reflections

Dalantech wrote:
There's no need to fully light an area that's going to be out of focus, and with the fill hitting the subject to my right (its left) I'm getting the light in the area that's in focus.

Makes sense.

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:31 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.