New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New Nikon Glass, Something Different

MitchSC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Nikon Glass, Something Different

I have been trying to get my wife interested in wildlife photography. She loves going on outings with me and viewing wildlife but she is just not that in to photography. We have been using a Bushnell 20 x 50 spotting scope but needless to say it is to powerful with a small field of view. I managed to pick these up the last day of a $80 instant rebate. I did a lot of research. The Mk 5 @ $296 seemed to be the best bang for the buck. But for $200 more I opted for the Mk 7 and the $80 dollar rebate was icing on the cake. I had approached her about me getting the Tammy and her using the 300 f4 but this will make our outings more enjoyable for her and I'm pretty happy with the 300 + TCs.

Edited on Nov 14, 2014 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Nikon Glass, Something Different

I recognise that.
I bought my wife a nice small Leica binoculars and since that time she finds the birds which I can take images off.

MitchSC wrote:
I have been trying to get my wife interested in wildlife photography. She loves going on outings with me and viewing wildlife but she is just not that in to photography. We have been using a Bushnell 20 x 50 spotting scope but needless to say it is to powerful with a small field of view. I managed to pick these up the last day of a $80 instant rebate. I did a lot of research. The Mk 5 @ $296 seemed to be the best bang for the buck. But for $200 more I opted for the Mk 7
...Show more

Nov 14, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Nikon Glass, Something Different

These are amazingly good binoculars, they gather in tons of light, they are rated best in their price class (according to Cornell Lab of Ornithology) and probably indiscernable for most folks from binocs costing a ton more. And they are markedly better than the Mark 5's. You will enjoy them!

Nov 14, 2014 at 02:16 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Nikon Glass, Something Different

Chris Dees wrote:
I recognise that.
I bought my wife a nice small Leica binoculars and since that time she finds the birds which I can take images off.

Teamwork That will be an added benefit. She is already better at spotting birds than I am. Age has been kinder to her eyesight.

Nov 14, 2014 at 03:17 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Nikon Glass, Something Different

Birdbrooks wrote:
These are amazingly good binoculars, they gather in tons of light, they are rated best in their price class (according to Cornell Lab of Ornithology) and probably indiscernable for most folks from binocs costing a ton more. And they are markedly better than the Mark 5's. You will enjoy them!

Cornell lab is where I started research. We went to one of the local sporting goods stores and tried out the M5 & Mk7 side by side (bought online no tax, free shipping). I was already convinced of the better quality of the MK7 was worth the difference. But when I had originally suggested getting her some binoculars and price range. She said $100 The difference in eye relief and ergonomics convinced her to go with the Mk7.

Nov 14, 2014 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.