Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Krubin

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Wanted to get some feedback. I was just about to pull the trigger on an x100s, taking advantage of the X100t release and the commensurate price drop, when I see the announcement for the X30.

For context, I am a semi-pro with 25kilos of gear, but looking for something simple and light that I can use for either around town or on non-photographic business trips when it doesn't make sense to bring all the kit. I want a viewfinder and was drawn to the x100 series for the dual optical/digital viewfinder, the degree of manual control, and image quality. Ended up leaning this way above the Sony RX100. Not interested in interchangeable lenses as I'd rather save those investments for professional glass for my D4s.

Any opinions? I realize that the x30 isn't out yet so there is not going to be real field experience, but I figure some X20 users probably have a point-of-view on this. Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Well, if you're OK with a fixed 35mm (FF equiv.) lens, then get the X100S - 'nuff said.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

I own an X-100s; it is THE most intelligently designed camera I have ever owned. JPEGS are good enough that they are all I shoot. The flash, ND filter, and leaf shutter allow images that few other cameras can do. It's flat. It feels wonderful in the hand. As Jim said, 'nuff said.

Nov 13, 2014 at 04:51 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

X100s. The X30 isn't in the same class with regards to image quality, and while it's a very nice compact camera, if you can enjoy the fixed 23mm lens, you'll love the X100s, provided the control scheme speaks to you (I absolutely LOVE the Fuji controls...others sometimes prefer a more modern interface vs. the old-school dials that Fuji favors...I don't).

Nov 13, 2014 at 06:01 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Jordan, I am with you completely on your regard for the controls: a glance as you pick it up tells you everything you need to know. It is fast to switch on, too.

And I find I use the OVF 95% of the time (and it automatically changes to the EVF if macro is enabled), too, which was a surprise.

I know that many regard the 35mm EFOV to be perfect; 50 would be better for me. Nonetheless, I carry this with me everywhere, and even shot a decent video with it the other day, in a Pilates studio in York. The x-100s is a keeper, for me, and I can't even see myself trading up to its replacement. Of course, if Fuji hears my plea, and comes up with a 50mm equivalent, I will add it to the stable.

Many have spoken of the "wretched" quality of the video, but what do people think? I down-rezzed the 1980p to 720p (all we need), but the original looked fine to me. Second system sound, though.

http://youtu.be/04jJsNuznWM

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

As a dissenter I don't like the dainty ergonomics of the X100S. The rings on the lens barrel has plenty of grip but the lens itself is too small for my liking. Hand size may have something to do with it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 09:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

I'm quite happy to switch back and forth between my X100S, 6D with 16-35/4L IS, and 6D with grip and 70-200/2.8L IS II. I use this combo for events where discretion is required; the X100s get's used when even the 6D's lovely soft shutter is too loud.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

The tiny sensor of the X30 results in a substantial drop in image quality compared to the X100t. The ONLY reason to consider the X30 over the X100t is if you simply MUST have a zoom lens. I'm leaving cost out of the equation. I assume you are OK with the price of the X100t.

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:36 PM
twelveish
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Another vote for X100s. I have the X10 and the X100 and find the IQ of the X10 to be far more limiting, in many situations, than the fixed FOV of the X100. Besides, as nicely built as the X10/20 and I presume 30 cameras are, The X100/s/t are that and so much more. When you leave with nothing but the X10/20/30 you will feel a sense of compromise. When you leave with nothing but an X100 series camera you will be actually looking forward to spending some time with it. Or, well, I will. YMMV.

Nov 13, 2014 at 06:00 PM
Krubin

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Sounds like a nearly unanimous endorsement for the X100s. I had been leaning that direction before so it wasn't a lot of convincing, but you all have made it clear that it is the right choice for me. IQ and build quality were the reasons I was looking this direction in the first place. I don't know how I'll do with a fixed 35mm lens, but we'll find out... Thanks for the sage advice.

Now I should ask for the must-have accessories.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

For accessories get the filter adapter and throw a b&w filter on it and ditch the lens cap all together.

A thumbs up also helps with handling, IMO, but isn't critical. Other than that, just start shooting.

Oh, a wrist strap is totally manageable for this camera.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:08 AM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

I use Canon SLR's. I 've been looking for a great pocket camera for years. Have an x10. Like it. Good image quality. Have an X100. Trying to like it. Good image quality. But after using SLR's for so many years, I think I'd rather have a Canon 6d body and a 40/2.8 pancake to walk around with. Isn't really that much bigger than an x100, really.

Guess I am just old fashioned, but I like simple cameras. And I find the x100 gets in my way a little bit. Most will disagree, but that's my opinion. Don't know if I will keep the x100 long term.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Krubin wrote:
Sounds like a nearly unanimous endorsement for the X100s. I had been leaning that direction before so it wasn't a lot of convincing, but you all have made it clear that it is the right choice for me. IQ and build quality were the reasons I was looking this direction in the first place. I don't know how I'll do with a fixed 35mm lens, but we'll find out... Thanks for the sage advice.

Now I should ask for the must-have accessories.

I have to disagree, people have only made clear what is the right choice for them. Nobody has suggested it the right choice for you, because we don't know you, or your needs. You've admittedly never even worked with a fixed 35mm so you don't even know yourself.

Nothing wrong with that mind you, finding out is part of the fun, but please don't go and make a $1000+ purchase decision based off what some strangers (whom I love like family) told you.

Also, before you go and drop more money on accessories, maybe get the camera and see if you even like it. If it suits your needs, then consider the conversions lenses, grips, etc. There is no "must have" accessory because thousands of people are perfectly happy with the camera as-is. Doesn't mean accessories are bad, but its certainly not like you need one from the moment you unbox the camera.

Try to let the cash burning a hole in your pocket smolder a little...one thing at a time.

Nov 14, 2014 at 01:09 AM
Krubin

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

millsart wrote:
I have to disagree, people have only made clear what is the right choice for them. Nobody has suggested it the right choice for you, because we don't know you, or your needs. You've admittedly never even worked with a fixed 35mm so you don't even know yourself.

Nothing wrong with that mind you, finding out is part of the fun, but please don't go and make a $1000+ purchase decision based off what some strangers (whom I love like family) told you.

Also, before you go and drop more money on accessories, maybe get the camera and see if you even
...Show more

While I appreciate the sentiment, I do think it worth a moment to clarify. I am not suggesting that simply because others have a camera that is right for them and endorse it that I should buy it. As I mention above, the posts here have convinced me that the x100s is suited to my needs and shooting style. I have certainly worked with 35mm lens lengths and in fact do a lot of my shooting professionally with primes. My lone hesitation and remark to the effect of the single length was homage to being out and about and only having one focal length at my disposal -- something I have done but admittedly rarely.

My decision on the x100s was based upon form factor (I have held and used the camera), image quality, build quality, optics, and the hybrid viewfinder. I am also drawn to the retro-style and the readily accessible manual controls. The multiple comments about the x100s being in "a different class" resonate with me, as I am loathe to buy any consumer-grade photo gear as I am always, inevitably unhappy with the build and image quality and end up replacing with pro gear later. I am electing for a used x100s because it covers my needs and is very cost effective at the moment, and while the x100t might be nice-to-have, for my shooting purposes with this body I'd rather save that cash for a Zeiss Distagon lens I've been eyeing.

On the accessory side you make a fair point. I ask because given that I'm making a used purchase (likely here or eBay), often sellers have different accessories bundled with their sale. This would let me determine which seller's offering to go for, especially if all else was equal, if I could get included a commonly recommended item"along for the ride" with a used purchase.

Nov 14, 2014 at 06:50 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

I have the hood and a BW UV filter (came with camera) but use neither. Lens is flare resistant, and I have a spare hand to shade the lens when necessary. I do have an after market neck strap that, honestly, I have not used. I will probably take it off.

Nov 14, 2014 at 07:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

I use Domke Gripper 1" straps and Artisan Obscura soft shutter release buttons on my X100S and X-E2. I also have the Fujifilm X100 leather case that I now use on the X100S. I use the Fujifilm hood when I have the X100S slung over a shoulder while I'm out stomping around with my 500/4L IS.

Yesterday, I received a TCL-X100 'normal' conversion aux. lens for the X100S, which gives it a 35mm focal length (50mm FF equiv.). I took a few test shots with it, and it looks very fine. I'll use if for a shoot in about a month, where the ~50mm FOV will be a lot more useful than the ~35mm FOV without it.

Nov 14, 2014 at 09:19 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

Jim, please report back; I am interested in this lens too. cheers, KL

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

+1 on the domke gripper straps. i don't use it on my x100, but i use it on my leica and my fuji and they're good straps for this size camera.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

The TCL-100 is very nice optically, though a little big and heavy (relative to the camera)

Major downside I found with it, and why I sold mine, is that it totally blocks the flash.

One of the main things I love about the X100(x) is the amazing fill flash ability, and the reason I bought the TC was to get some extra focal length for getting a bit tighter framing on portrait type shots. This is exactly where that great fill flash and its 1/2000th sync speed come in so handy, gives a little catch light in the eyes, fills in under a baseball cap, and always balances with the ambient so well you can hardly tell a flash fired.

With the TC on though it cast a shadow across part of the frame and totally makes the flash unusable at most subject to camera distances.

Bummer

Nov 14, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Opinions Sought -- Fuji X30 or X100s?

@millsart: deal breaker for me; I use that capacity almost daily. I dream that Fuji will come out with a 50mm EFOV X-150 (?) that will have a 32mm lens. Love the 23; don't get me wrong, but want a bit longer.

Nov 14, 2014 at 03:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.