New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

drbob
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Anyone have Rules of Thumb for sharpening ballparks for a 24 x 32 Canvas print from Costco??

I did a 16 x 48 landscape shot a few years ago that I think turned out well. I don't remember exactly, but I remember sharpening more aggressively than I thought I'd ever need to.

This one is an engagement portrait...

(Yeah, it's gonna be a pretty big engagement print at 24 x 32!!) that's what they chose.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
bb

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:57 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

If you are concerned about sharpness and detail, canvas is not the best choice.

I have had Costco do 30x40 prints. I just apply some Smart Sharpen to the final size image. If I recall, Costco only wanted the files at 150ppi.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Thanks...
No, not necessarily concerned about sharpness and detail, but I don't want it to be overly 'muddy' either. My first try with a portrait on canvas.

bb

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Nice picture. Instead of Costco you could work with a specialty printer who would be able to sharpen the file for you. It's a lot more expensive than Costco but you will get a high quality print that will stand the test of time. Not saying that Costco can't do this but I've done both and I much prefer the print from the specialty printer.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Try a test print from Costco. A 30x40 from them costs $170.

If you are happy with the results, I see no reason why you would have to go a more expensive route.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Once a person decides to go the Costco route for printing, you've already abandoned notions of quality from the get go.

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:45 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Savas K... to each his own. Thanks for your thoughtful suggestion.

Nov 13, 2014 at 09:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Savas K wrote:
Once a person decides to go the Costco route for printing, you've already abandoned notions of quality from the get go.

It is the OP's client that decides if the quality is satisfactory, not you. It is also the client that decides the price he wants to pay.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:19 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Savas K wrote:

Not saying that you cannot do better, but Costco canvas wraps are superb (and a bargain).

They were good enough for my fine art gallery exhibit for almost 2 years, which should be a testament for their quality.

Aloha!

greg

Nov 14, 2014 at 01:18 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

gheller wrote:
Not saying that you cannot do better, but Costco canvas wraps are superb (and a bargain).

They were good enough for my fine art gallery exhibit for almost 2 years, which should be a testament for their quality.

Aloha!

greg

Agreed, don't knock Costco till you've tried it. They have some serious printing capabilities at killer prices.

Nov 14, 2014 at 01:56 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

joychris wrote:
Agreed, don't knock Costco till you've tried it. They have some serious printing capabilities at killer prices.

I used to use Costco and found them inconsistent. I'd get colour casts in some prints and when I reprint them, the cast is gone...so it was not the digital file. I would not trust them if you need the print in a hurry...you might be overjoyed one time and disappointed the next.

I've since moved onto doing my own printing and get much better results than what I got from Costco.

Nov 14, 2014 at 05:02 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

CGProPrints.com for canvas. You can thank me later.

Nov 14, 2014 at 05:51 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

CGProPrints.com for canvas. You can thank me later.

Purchased a canvas wrap from them last year, the print -- in fact, the entire product (wrap, dust cover) -- was awful.

John

Nov 14, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

joychris wrote:

And if you don't like the result, they will refund your money or redo the print.

For those that just want the occasional canvas print, doing your own printing is not the greatest idea.

Nov 14, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sharpening for CostCo canvas

Not in my experience, they print using the same machines as a stand a lone lab....for about 1/4 the cost for identical product. I use them for my commercial portfolio.

IF you prep the file properly I see no reason not to use costco.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.