1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

Beni wrote:
As long as you use Adobe software, otherwise, it's raw as cracked egg.

I believe you can actually export your files as DNG from LR and it retains the processing. I remember reading that some photographers do this for archival purposes instead of the RAW files as it dramatically reduces file size.

I've never offered to sell raw/dng files to clients though. I have no idea how to price something like that.

Nov 13, 2014 at 02:32 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

TRReichman wrote:
Always requested before. I think most of those clients were amateur photographers.

- trr

It was a couple of years ago for me, but same here ^

Nov 13, 2014 at 02:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

TRReichman wrote:
Always requested before. I think most of those clients were amateur photographers.

- trr

What's an amateur photographer? A GWAC or MWAC who has owned a DSLR less than three months.

Nov 13, 2014 at 03:54 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

dmacmillan wrote:
What's an amateur photographer? A GWAC or MWAC who has owned a DSLR less than three months.

If I remember correctly the last few were doctors or otherwise high-level professionals.

I'm going to make an observation - feel free to disregard as you see fit. Frequently on this forum it seems like the general group-think around here is to be suspicious of clients, or at least create an adversarial stance towards them. Members here seem to be very afraid of clients, and against making money. Just an observation.

- trr

Nov 13, 2014 at 04:53 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

I do so little processing to my files, sometimes it's just like giving a RAW capture.

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:24 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

TRReichman wrote:
Frequently on this forum it seems like the general group-think around here is to be suspicious of clients, or at least create an adversarial stance towards them. Members here seem to be very afraid of clients, and against making money. Just an observation.

Couldn't agree more.

Also seem there are a lot of theoretical hangups like I touched on before that everyone parrots but there is little to no first hand real world evidence of it happening. It's like one person says something, everyone repeats it, it becomes a rule but no one has ever actually had the problem occur. That doesn't stop them formulating policies that restrict their business though and hamper their ability to realise the greatest returns from it.

But, I have been told before that the art comes first and money isn't everything. They rather starve and have their families do it hard than compromise their artistic principals and produce a product that doesn't live up to their lofty expectations even though the clients ould be more than happy and pay them well for it.

Seems to me money isn't everything a lot of photographers could use more of.

And to be fair, it's not just this forum, it's pretty much every forum in every interest group I have come across. There is only one correct, approved way to think and do things and anyone that dares think for themselves and come up with another approach is wrong and usually condemned.

That can work to great advantage for people that think outside the box however. Creates a lot of opportunities to stand out from the pack by giving clients what they are prepared to pay extra for because they can't get it off anyone else. Perfect!

Just 2 weeks ago I was talking to a friend who does the biggest events of their kind in the world and he was telling me about how many people tell him what he is doing is not only wrong, but can't possibly work.
Only flaw in their position is he has been doing things that exact same way for 13 years and has no competitors at the top of his game.
Shame he's doing it the wrong way apparently.

For people that pride themselves on creativity and uniqueness, Shooters are some of the most conformist and pack mentality groups I have ever come across in my broad range of interests. 95% follow the approved way of thinking and doing things and never will step outside the box or think for themselves on what may suit their particular circumstances and markets best.

The thing about making money is spot on. I have read hundreds of times where people put ego and price way ahead of profit. Same thing right here, "I wouldn't let my files out and risk someone else editing them in a way I wouldn't approve" Yeah. Because when Holden or Ferrari sell you a car, it comes with a contract specifying what wheels you can put on it or colour you can paint it or engine mods you can do to it because they have to protect their brand and reputation right??

But saying things like this is committing the cardinal sin of forums, Going against the approved group way of thinking and making people uncomfortable that there may be a different perspective to the beliefs they are comfortable and feel the security of the heard with.

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:21 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

^ just wait until you give them the full res edited images...."for free"

and you don't sell prints...or albums

oh my!

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:34 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

Since the wind is blowing this way, my favorite is when photographers say they "size limit" their files to 8x10 — um, hello — Costco will make a poster from a cell phone file ... you think anyone's gonna stop at 10 inches for your 3000 pixel wide image?

Nov 13, 2014 at 08:27 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

I remember reading that some photographers do this for archival purposes instead of the RAW files as it dramatically reduces file size.

We archive everything as Lossy DNG — files just a bit bigger than JPGs — really smart solution they cooked up

Nov 13, 2014 at 08:38 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

LeeSimms wrote:
Since the wind is blowing this way, my favorite is when photographers say they "size limit" their files to 8x10 — um, hello — Costco will make a poster from a cell phone file ... you think anyone's gonna stop at 10 inches for your 3000 pixel wide image?

Many years ago I shot a commercial job and they wanted an image I shot on a 4 Mp Olympus E-10 to go (fill) the wall behind their front reception desk.
I stair stepped it up using genuine Fractals to 60x90" and you had to be 6" in front of the thing to even perceive there was any grain.

Aside from that, the quality or lack thereof people will accept perfectly happily means nothing is out of the realm of taking an image to any size they want.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

LeeSimms wrote:

Some people (me included) would downsize the files a little bit so they'd all fit on the USB drives/DVDs the client would get. Now that I deliver the high res images via download from my website (or a USB drive if they want) I send them the files in all D810 jpeg glory.

Nov 14, 2014 at 01:16 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

An edited JPEG is my product and what my client hires me to produce. That's just how I sell my product, so I would not give RAWS.

But different photographers are selling different products. Some photographers aren't selling the photos as much as they are selling themselves - they are selling a consistent product and amazing customer relations. So for them delivering the raws is delivering the product that they are selling - the product being "whatever makes the customer happy".

Different strokes for different folks, you gotta play to your strengths.

Also my raws look bad because I am better at photoshop than I am at photography If I had was better at shooting and better at selling to clients I might consider delivering the RAWS, but for now I will lean on my crutch of bad photoshopping and be glad that I have a part time job

Nov 14, 2014 at 04:36 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

Agree with some of the others... All of the potential clients who have asked me for RAW files have been amateur photographers. So far, none of them have been willing to pay me extra for them and I've not booked anyone who has demanded RAW files. To this date, I've never delivered RAW files to any client

Nov 14, 2014 at 08:53 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Giving RAW files to client w/ jpgs

It's not like we're talking about film negatives where they are the only source image. We're talking about copies of the source file. They can have them for a price....and it's not even a huge price. Once I'm done with a wedding and have delivered everything to the client, I really couldn't give 2 shits about the images.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.