New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · arghhhh focus breathing

Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · arghhhh focus breathing

I shot a high school musical last night and ran into . . . "focus breathing" with my 70-200 f/2.8 vr2.

I am not sure why this lens does this or if other Nikon lenses do the same. Obviously there is a reason and I will clearly need to live with it . . . but it does kinda suck at times. Last night was one of those times.

I had 2 bodies, a D700 w/400 f/2.8 & my D3s with 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1.4x attached to it. Whenever I tried to get a wide shot (100mm) the 70-200 just would not focus. If I zoomed past (120mm) it nailed the shot. Remember I had the 1.4x attached to this lens making the range 100 - 280mm

I switched over to Nikon a little over 2 years ago and I am extremely happy with Nikon. I guess this is my only quibble since leaving Canon.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me complain a bit. I feel much better

Grant

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · arghhhh focus breathing

Focus breathing doesn't cause OOF images - it causes the FOV to change. Perhaps you meant to say varifocal, which means the focus changes at different focal lengths, which the Canon version does as well (as do most modern zooms). You have to focus at the focal length you're using rather than focusing at one focal length and then zooming.

Edited on Nov 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · arghhhh focus breathing

snapsy wrote:
Focus breathing doesn't cause OOF images - it causes the FOV to change. Perhaps you meant to say Varifocal, which means the focus changes at different focal lengths, which the Canon version does as well (as do most modern zooms). You have to focus at the focal length you're using rather than focusing at one focal length and then zooming.

+1

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · arghhhh focus breathing

"Failure to focus" is what I would call the first two. Something is wrong, either technique or body/lens functionality, and hopefully fixable - you shouldn't have to live with it!

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · arghhhh focus breathing

SAng wrote:
"Failure to focus" is what I would call the first two. Something is wrong, either technique or body/lens functionality, and hopefully fixable - you shouldn't have to live with it!

I trust/hope it is not my technique. I have been doing this many years.

I would like not to live with it but I must. Oh well.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · arghhhh focus breathing

snapsy wrote:
Focus breathing doesn't cause OOF images - it causes the FOV to change. Perhaps you meant to say varifocal, which means the focus changes at different focal lengths, which the Canon version does as well (as do most modern zooms). You have to focus at the focal length you're using rather than focusing at one focal length and then zooming.

I mean to say varifocal. I learned something new. Thanks!

I did try to focus as the length I was using. I tried 10 different times from 100-125mm and it would not focus. I took off the 1.4x and it focused, as usual, at 70mm.

Anyhow, thanks or the help/comments.

This is the first time I ran into this on the wide end. The 1.4x must have changed things.

Grant

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · arghhhh focus breathing

Grantland wrote:
I trust/hope it is not my technique. I have been doing this many years.

I would like not to live with it but I must. Oh well.

I hope what I said did not come across wrong, I don't 'converse' often with folks on the board but I've been here long enough to know you're an experienced and skilled shooter. What I meant by 'technique' was things we may not realize are happening - I recently had similar experiences and it turned that whenever I held the body + 70-200 in portrait orientation the base of my palm tended to push against the lens release button and stop the AF cold (that's what I suspect, anyway). Certainly not the issue here of course, just an example. As you said, it might be the TC.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · arghhhh focus breathing

SAng wrote:
I hope what I said did not come across wrong, I don't 'converse' often with folks on the board but I've been here long enough to know you're an experienced and skilled shooter. What I meant by 'technique' was things we may not realize are happening - I recently had similar experiences and it turned that whenever I held the body + 70-200 in portrait orientation the base of my palm tended to push against the lens release button and stop the AF cold (that's what I suspect, anyway). Certainly not the issue here of course, just an example. As
...Show more

No worries. Your comment didn't come across to me as personal.

Even though I have been doing this many years . . . I still want/have to learn.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · arghhhh focus breathing

snapsy wrote:

This is the best response in the history of FM. Moderators please close the thread now. Recent Canon converts please forget these two words: focus breathing.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · arghhhh focus breathing

Grantland wrote:
I mean to say varifocal. I learned something new. Thanks!

I did try to focus as the length I was using. I tried 10 different times from 100-125mm and it would not focus. I took off the 1.4x and it focused, as usual, at 70mm.

Anyhow, thanks or the help/comments.

This is the first time I ran into this on the wide end. The 1.4x must have changed things.

Grant

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to extenders. Maybe it was the cause like you say. I wish I had info to offer. All I can say is this: in pitch black wedding receptions, where the only light is generated by dj lasers, my 70-200 chases a tad now and then, it's true, but never enough to keep me from getting the shot. It focuses very accurately and hits wonderfully. The chasing occurs because there's a sea of faces on the dance floor and sometimes it jumps to the wrong face. All of this happens in fractions of a second, then it grabs the face I want, and bam, I have the shot. All this to say that there may be something wrong with your lens, IF it's not the extender.

Finally, a practical word: At the time of your shoot, did you check all the switches on the barrel of the lens? I've had the 70-200 go wonky and I quickly realize I've bumped one of the switches. Just a more practical thought!

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:02 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · arghhhh focus breathing

Hola, Grant
If you're shooting at 100mm...why the TC Losing a stop makes absolutely no sense.
I'd go naked (low light/available light) and if (God forbid) I needed to zoom out to "280"
settle for 200 and crop in post. You're well beyond any "breathing" once past 30' so I'd
reiterate...something's VERY wrong here. Fine tuned?? it appears to be front focusing.
Cleaned contacts?? Many things to consider BEFORE starting a condemnation thread.

Edited on Nov 12, 2014 at 01:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:13 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · arghhhh focus breathing

Grantland, I'm curious how you are autofocusing. Specifically, which autofocus mode (AF-S or AF-C), and what AF-Area mode (single point, dynamic, 3D, auto area)?

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:22 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · arghhhh focus breathing

ohsnaphappy wrote:
...where the only light is generated by dj lasers,...

Not trying to derail the topic but when the lasers come out my DSLR goes back in my bag. I've seen too many videos of sensor damage. Myth or am I being to paranoid/cautious?

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:26 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · arghhhh focus breathing

trenchmonkey wrote:
Hola, Grant
If you're shooting at 100mm...why the TC Losing a stop makes absolutely no sense.
I'd go naked (low light/available light) and if (God forbid) I needed to zoom out to "280"
settle for 200 and crop in post. You're well beyond any "breathing" once past 30' so I'd
reiterate...something's VERY wrong here. Fine tuned?? it appears to be front focusing.
Cleaned contacts?? Many things to consider BEFORE starting a condemnation thread.

Good question. I normally use my 200 f/2.0 VR w/1.4x and it is perfect for how I shoot musicals. I also use a tripod with a gimbal head. And I then use my 70-200 f/2.8 on a second body. Just sold my D800 or I used my D700.

My 200 is out of commission at the time being. So I tried my 400mm & 70-200 w/1.4x.

My D3s w/70-200 w/1.4x did a fine job except when I needed >125mm. I assumed (opps) this was due to focus breathing or whatever it is called.

Thanks for the input.

Grant

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:40 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · arghhhh focus breathing

^ 1/250th? nothing's sharp...motion blur?? That D3s rocks thru ISO12800
I'd want 1/400th min to nail a leap, just sayin'

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:34 PM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · arghhhh focus breathing

Grant:
Sorry to hear about this problem. Have you tried adjusting the white balance on these? I shoot these productions also and they drive me batty with the gels they put on the lights. The old eyedropper does wonders in LR to give a more natural skin tone with these productions.

Richard

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:08 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · arghhhh focus breathing

I don't see the specific 1.4x TC you used mentioned, and as others have stated, the TC could be the problem.

Nov 12, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · arghhhh focus breathing

Richard Booth wrote:
Grant:
Sorry to hear about this problem. Have you tried adjusting the white balance on these? I shoot these productions also and they drive me batty with the gels they put on the lights. The old eyedropper does wonders in LR to give a more natural skin tone with these productions.

Richard

Thanks! Yes and no on the wb.

I adjust to a degree . . .

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · arghhhh focus breathing

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ 1/250th? nothing's sharp...motion blur?? That D3s rocks thru ISO12800
I'd want 1/400th min to nail a leap, just sayin'

I'll try 12800 sometime. I agree 400 minimum is ideal.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM
jemfinch

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · arghhhh focus breathing

If you've got an extra $20k lying around, Zeiss makes an excellent parfocal 70-200.

Nov 13, 2014 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.