Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

B&H now carries Yongnuo

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:08 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

Reviews? flash units just came out. Haven't seen any. Ebay or HK support? Sign said one year warranty. Do you want to send it back to hong kong though? Course you can buy two for less than the price of a canon and have a 100 bucks left. Flash bracket mount? Sure if you have a transmitter or another flash on hotshoe as master to fire slave. They work on older bodies such as my 1D IV but erratic on rapid fire. Otherwise they were fine with single shot. Something else. After reviewing menu's on both yongnuo and then canon model. Half the custom features of clone are not there for fine tuning. Also some of the features on my camera were missing when coupled with the clones. Didn't dig deep enough to go through all the features. ETTL and manual worked fine when changing settings. Sorry I don't have more answers but more info will come out eventually.

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:17 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

I updated my original post with some images and additional thoughts. No flash picture comparisons yet because my office is really boring and I couldn't bring myself to post pictures of my wall...

On-camera, I shot a 29 shot group with the YN-600EX and it fired for 27 straight at 1/250, 2.8, ISO 1600 (my office is fairly dark). I shot a 40+ group with the Canon 600EX and it fired constantly (I just stopped). Both were set for HSS and you could see the flash graduation through some of the pics. I sold my 1DIV so don't currently have a high frame rate model (I tested it on a 6D and T4i). I could see bigger problems perhaps arising at faster shutter speeds and frame rates.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM
stevenskl

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

Can you guys test something for me?
How long do the 2 flashes, Canon and Yongnuo, need to fully load with NIMH accus?
Is flash color the same? Somebody on Youtube said the Yongnuo is a bitt cooler or warmer (don`t remember).
Is exposure with ETTL 2 the same on both flashes? I`m asking because I want to upgrade from a 550EX, which constantly underexposes with inderect flash.
Also refresh times are too long, about 5-6 seconds with NIMH accus for a full load.

Nov 13, 2014 at 03:21 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

GC5 you may be right about the higher frame rate. I'll know this weekend when I get the canons. I could go in the menu and reduce the frame rate on my 1DIV and see if it makes a difference. Steven in regards about refresh time. The yongnuo's recharged extremely fast versus my old 580's. It was no contest. Like you when shooting a series I had to wait about the same time to refresh. Batteries I use are 2300mah NIMH.

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:50 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

GC5 wrote:
I updated my original post with some images and additional thoughts. No flash picture comparisons yet because my office is really boring and I couldn't bring myself to post pictures of my wall...

On-camera, I shot a 29 shot group with the YN-600EX and it fired for 27 straight at 1/250, 2.8, ISO 1600 (my office is fairly dark). I shot a 40+ group with the Canon 600EX and it fired constantly (I just stopped). Both were set for HSS and you could see the flash graduation through some of the pics. I sold my 1DIV so don't currently have
...Show more

Appreciate it - looking forward to more comparisons when you have the time.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

UPDATE: Received my canon 600 RT's and ST-E3. I mentioned before the yongnuo wouldn't fire consecutively on two mark IV's. As I will use this feature. The canons work fine. I do notice some differences in the build, menus, and few other things. The yongnuo is a great price but I don't want to update my camera to fit a flash. So...all I can say is I'm very happy with the canon setup. And will order two more flash units. I'm retired and need to spend some money.

Nov 14, 2014 at 08:15 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

GC5 wrote:
At under $200, it is less than half the price of the Canon.

Where did you get it at that price? On eBay (hk-econcept) asks for $500, at which point I'd rather buy the real Canon thing for one Dollar less from B&H.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

stanj wrote:
Where did you get it at that price? On eBay (hk-econcept) asks for $500, at which point I'd rather buy the real Canon thing for one Dollar less from B&H.

I've seen the YN600EX-RT prices at a minimum of $145, and a maximum of $185, with most pricing instances reporting around $179. I didn't save any of those links, because based on the user reports so far, they occasionally miss in instances where the Canon version doesn't miss. In live event photography, a miss is as good as a mile, so I'd rather have the reliability than the cost savings.

On the other hand, there is a recent thread where the Canon version stopped communicating mid wedding. I'm not sure if the root cause was ever determined. The issue did get sorted out, but not before the reception was long over.

Nov 15, 2014 at 02:14 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

stanj wrote:

That's just the eBay way of pulling a listing without pulling a listing. They are simply out of stock everywhere. The price will go back down when they are back in stock.

Nov 15, 2014 at 09:28 AM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

Thanks everyone for the great info - joining this thread for further updates as I've been wanting to join the radio controlled crowd for quite some time - optical has ... issues! :-(

Bummer the prices went way up on the YN-600EX-RT ... but yea, presumably the supply chain will reload. Any info on the Shanny knockoff ... and seems like Phottix should have a clone too?

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

I have two Canon 600EXs and need to add a third in 2015 so I can completely get rid of tiggers.

I really hope the YN version is reliable.

Nov 16, 2014 at 03:57 PM
stevenskl

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

Does the Yangnuo correctly adjust its "Zoom"? I`ve seen a video on Youtube, where it did not adjust it correctly on a zoom lens. Another guy wrote that 1 of his 2 Yangnuo 600 only goes to 135mm, while the other one goes up to 200mm, as expected.
So it would be great, if someone could check this out, especially with zoom lenses. Does it work correctly with the EF 18-55/2,8 for example?

Nov 17, 2014 at 05:42 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New Flash: YN-600EX-RT

I've read a review where the power between the Canon 600 vs the YN600 was different. I don't remember the exact details of how it was measured, but I remember the difference being f/20 versus f/16. Don't remember the link or the reviewer either, but since only 375 of these units were reportedly shipped in the first batch, the search results should be limited to under 400 hits.

Nov 18, 2014 at 02:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.