New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

CalBoy87
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I am on the fence with this one. Considering that FE is AF, native mount, wider it should be an easy choice, but hearing so many good comments regarding Zeiss Contax 35-70/3.4 thinking of getting this one instead. Did anybody compare those two head to head? Read review of both, but hard to find direct comparison. So, please share your opinions here.

Nov 12, 2014 at 05:33 AM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I've used 3 zooms...Contax 35-70, Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro, and Leica R Vario-Elmar 35-70/4 macro...I have no experience with the FE's...
The Contax was the best by a short margin, with incredible sharpness and clarity, and a great macro to boot(1:2)! The Leica R is an incredible lens, with awesome Leica colors and a great feel to it. It also has an incredible macro function(1:2.5) with clarity that meets or exceeds the Contax, but is somewhat cost prohibitive!!
The MD is a little gem! Small, light, very sharp, sweet Minolta colors( very Leica like, since this the sibling to the Leica Vario-Elmar 35-70/3.5), and the cost is around $100!!! It's macro function comes in two flavors: 1:1.7 & 1.4...not as close as the others.
Pick your poison, but I feel all three were really made for the A7 series, especially the Contax. But I still have the MD, and it's my go to walk around lens. You can see examples pages back from the lenses.
I know if a couple people who have the FE 24-70, and they make it look wonderful. Having AF might help, too, along with exif...but I prefer MF myself.
Hope that helps...
Gregg

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I have the Contax 35-70, Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro, and Contax 24-85 N. I was stunned by the performance of the c/y 35-70....the MD is very impressive as well, but not as strong at 35 (at least my copy.) The MD is a very, very, good lens, don't get me wrong.

The Contax 24-85 is more flexible, but I have not compared it directly to either of the other lenses. I will say the adapter kind of bothers me. There is a small piece of the electronic contact component that sticks out into the frame, causing vignetting in one of the corners at times. Given that I have a FE 16-35 on preorder, it's hard for me to ignore how well the c/y 35-70 performs...it would seem to pair well with the FE. Anecdotally, my 24-85 is weaker on the long end. The wide end is pretty good, and the middle FLs are the best.

I sort of lucked out on the c/y 35-70 purchase, I lowballed a bid on eBay and won. I wasn't actually expecting to though. Since I got that lens, I haven't shot the 24-85. I also have the c/y 28 2.8...so that's the other advantage as they can share the same adapter. I have the FE 16-35 on preorder...so that somewhat mitigates the loss of the 24-35 end of the 24-85 (not the long end obviously.)

I have no experience with the FE 24-70 (or the FE 28-70 for that matter.)

-Tim

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I'm in a similar situation.
I recently stopped using the FE 28-70 because of poor autofocus accuracy, and am using the C/Y 35-70 on my A7. However, all the other lenses I'm using on it are OM Zuikos, so I've just ordered a Zuiko 35-70/3.6 to see if I can use only one adapter. The F3.6 Zuiko has a great reputation, 2nd only to the C/Y, (so, perhaps similar to the Leica Vario-Elmar?)... We'll see!

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I love my 24-70/4. It has a terrible reputation, but I believe.that is because it was designed to have software correction. The corners sharpen up when you use the lens correction profile. They aren't ever as sharp as the center or middle from 24mm-~30mm and ~66mm-70mm. But from 35mm-65mm, it is stunningly sharp. Truly excellent. However, it is highly useful at both the wide and long end. I usually only print at 13x19" for my a7, and it is perfectly sharp at those sizes. I suppose I could try higher, something like 20x30", but my walls are smallish and it would seem out of place. If you want jpegs and raws that.I printed recently, I am happy to share. I do realize that everyone has different standards than I do. I can throw it into a dropbox folder for you and you can evaluate it yourself.

If you are against software correction on principle, this is not the lens for you.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I owned a C/Y 35-70 and absolutely hated using that lens. It went like this: point the lens towards the subject, focus, decide I want to zoom in or out, re-focus (it is not parfocal), etc. if I wanted critical sharpness, add opening it wide each time, and then stopping down as appropriate.
IQ was never the issue, but using it was. Call me a wimp, and, sure, today with magnification it would be easier, but no other MF lens was ever that hard. My Leica R 35-70 is a dream by comparison.
And, before I get tarred and feathered, I know I am in the minority in posting this. Most people love their lens.

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:21 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

TheEmrys wrote:
I love my 24-70/4. It has a terrible reputation, but I believe.that is because it was designed to have software correction. The corners sharpen up when you use the lens correction profile. They aren't ever as sharp as the center or middle from 24mm-~30mm and ~66mm-70mm. But from 35mm-65mm, it is stunningly sharp. Truly excellent. However, it is highly useful at both the wide and long end. I usually only print at 13x19" for my a7, and it is perfectly sharp at those sizes. I suppose I could try higher, something like 20x30", but my walls are smallish and it
...Show more

Unfortunately, the software correction doesn't do much for the smeared corners, besides cropping the angle of view down to about 28-30mm equivalent.

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:55 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

molson wrote:
Unfortunately, the software correction doesn't do much for the smeared corners, besides cropping the angle of view down to about 28-30mm equivalent.

Its more like 24-25mm. This is this widest "24" mm I have seen. I believe uncorrected, its a 22.5-23mm.

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

philber wrote:
I owned a C/Y 35-70 and absolutely hated using that lens. It went like this: point the lens towards the subject, focus, decide I want to zoom in or out, re-focus (it is not parfocal), etc. if I wanted critical sharpness, add opening it wide each time, and then stopping down as appropriate.
IQ was never the issue, but using it was. Call me a wimp, and, sure, today with magnification it would be easier, but no other MF lens was ever that hard. My Leica R 35-70 is a dream by comparison.
And, before I get tarred and feathered, I know
...Show more

Most people love output of it. Never heard anyone saying they love its ergonomics. There is reason why most today zooms isnt push-pull (its nice with parfocal lens, but sadly almost no regular lens is like that, apart cine ones). Btw. I considered 35-70 too, until I saw its bokeh.. mm, nope thank you very much.

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:46 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

The only lens that I have any experience with that have been mentioned is the Leica R 35mm-70mm f4 Vario Elmar. I like mine very much though there are a few minor quibbles including the rotating front filter thread (which can be worked around) and its size. The 2 touch zoom is easy to use. Though faster to use, my 1 touch Leica R 70-210mm f4 Vario Elmar is not as sure for focus or as good a performer as my Leica R 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar lens. When I need a zoom in this focal length I have no question that my 35-70mm Vario Elmar is the lens that I do and would use. Otherwise, and usually I carry small manual focus prime lenses for my A7r and an assortment of other lenses.

Rich

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:54 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

If speed (AF, full electronic aperture control, etc) is the priority...then go native. Next jump down (out of the lenses mentioned) would be the Contax 24-85 N, with the Kipon adapter you'll have aperture control and EXIF..but no AF (unless you get the fringer adapter.) Below that is the Leica, the f/4 (better) or the f/3.5. Then there's the Minolta MD 35-70 f/3.5 which is what the 3.5 Leica is a clone of (or vice versa...however you want to look at it.)

Lastly there is the c/y Zeiss 35-70 f/3.4...seems like quite a few knocks brought out by people. Push-pull, not par focal, not someone's cup of bokeh, etc. But stopped down landscape shooting it is gorgeous..granted I only have the Minolta and Contax 24-85 N to compare it too.

Pick your poison.

-Tim

Nov 12, 2014 at 05:52 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

philber wrote:
And, before I get tarred and feathered, I know
...Show more

I couldn't agree more re the ergonomics of the C/Y 35-70/3.4,(Horrible! It seems awkward and clumsy on my A7) but as Mescalamba points out, it's the results that give this lens its following!

My Zuiko 35-70/3.6 arrived yesterday. Beautiful, near mint condition, except for lots of fine internal dust! (It's very prone to it I believe.)

[EDIT NB: Why the 35-70/3.6 and not the more acclaimed Zuiko 35-80/2.8ED? From extensive web reading, apart from the extra stop with the 2.8ED, both lenses are generally rated equally for across frame definition, and the 3.6 has lower CA , added to which, the 2.8ED costs about 8x more! Most reviewers mention the bad flare/ghosting characteristics of both models, that I show below]

Just had a quick comparison with my C/Y on A7, with an into the light, fine twigs on distant trees subject, with diffuse sun behind.
The Zuiko is very close in resolution, but for clarity the C/Y has it. Also the Zuiko is obviously more prone to flare.
However, how much of the less clarity in the Zuiko is the result of that fine dust?...Quite a lot in this situation I should think.

I have to decide whether to return the Zuiko or not. It's a pity, otherwise mint, and dual action, constant focus when changing fl, plus a non-rotating 55mm filter ring. I probably will though, as the C/Y is clearly better. Drat it!

100% centre. C/Y @35mm F8

100% Zuiko @35mm F8 Less clarity,( dust?),plus that blue/green flare

Dust inside the Zuiko, probably reducing that clarity....but does that account for all the difference in clarity? Impossible to say, without getting it professionally cleaned, and this is not an easy lens to get serviced, with ball races instead of the usual focus mechanism. (from photo.net: "This lens can be a pain to work on. Focus mechanism has 370 - 1mm ball bearings in it (2 races of 185 ea.) . This ball bearing setup not found in other 35-70 Olympus OM lenses........... John, www.zuiko.com")

Three together. Wish I'd thought to include the Sony 28-70 in the test...but didn't!
Sony "kit" 28-70, Zuiko 35-70/3.6 + adapter, C/y 35-70/3.4 + adapter.

Sony 320g.....................................Zuiko + adapter 540g........................................C/Y + adapter 580g.

EDIT. Zuiko 35-70/3.6 returned because of horrible "ghosting" flare in all pictures, whether sun in shot or not!

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

Greggf wrote:
I've used 3 zooms...Contax 35-70, Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro, and Leica R Vario-Elmar 35-70/4 macro...I have no experience with the FE's...

The MD is a little gem! Small, light, very sharp, sweet Minolta colors( very Leica like, since this the sibling to the Leica Vario-Elmar 35-70/3.5), and the cost is around $100!!! It's macro function comes in two flavors: 1:1.7 & 1.4...not as close as the others.

Hope that helps...
Gregg

Gregg, I'm confused by your comment on the MD It's macro function comes in two flavors: 1:1.7 & 1.4...

Do you mean that there are two versions of the MD macro, or two macro settings on the lens?

EDIT. Ah, just found a picture of one, and I see that it has the two settings.

Nov 18, 2014 at 01:01 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

TheEmrys wrote:
Its more like 24-25mm. This is this widest "24" mm I have seen. I believe uncorrected, its a 22.5-23mm.

And if you crop out the worst of the smeared details, it's closer to 35mm...

Nov 18, 2014 at 05:41 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I'm sure I promised a comparison between different MF 35-70mms on the A7, but I can't find that thread to add this to? Maybe it's moved to the Sony forum?
Anyway, here will do to give a quick update until I can find it again.

The hunt for a good condition, well performing OM Zuiko 35-70/3.6, ended in the dust!
After 4 poor copies, I have given up on it.
Nearly there with one that was wonderfully sharp, corner to corner at all settings, but had unrepairable internal haze in the rear group. Swapped the group for a good clean one in another copy (simple screw out, screw in of a fixed group.) Results...dismal! Soft left edge at 50mm and corners poor! It does show that a good copy of this lens is possible though....if you're prepared to hunt it down. It is the biggest dust-pump I've known. It wheezes when zoomed.

The C/Y 35-70/3.4 remains king. What a performer! I am even more in awe of that lens than before I started. (4 copies to get a good one of that too!)
However, I now have a good copy of the last version of the MD 35-70/3.5 (with the macro setting), which when stopped down, gets very close to the C/Y....confirmed by Phillip Reeve's tests. (Only had to try 3 copies of that )

In my comparisons, the tiny OM 35-70/3.5-4.5 has been the dark horse. It really is good, except for distortion!

The FE 28-70/3.5-5.6 isn't atall bad though, once stopped down. However I far prefer to manually focus and I don't like doing that with the native FE lenses. For some reason, my A7 jumps out of magnified view too easily when focussing them if you go back and forward more than once, (never happens with non FE lenses). Makes it a real pain to manually focus!

Apr 25, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I have 35-70/3.4 VS,28-70/3.5-5.6 FE,2x MD Macro 35-70/3.5 and use to have 24-70/4 VT.All have their strenhgts and weaknesses.

If you like AF,IS and versatility - the 24-70/4 is something for you.Relative corner softness at 24/28mm/f8-11 doesn't matter in real life pictures,as some of our colleagues,especially Joshua Ong,managed to show.

If you're after better IQ,all manual setting and no frills,plus limited fl range,go for 35-70/3.4 VS.

The 28-70/3.5-5.6FE is good/very good as well as the MD 35-70/3.5,but the latter needs to be stopped down to f8-11 in order to eliminate corner softness at 35mm.

I don't want to bother you with samples,but they are available on demand.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM
shirozina
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

I have the 35-70 Contax, 35-70 Minolta and 28-75 Zeiss. The contax is phenomenal at f8/11 - redefined what a zoom should be capable of. Not a lens for the casual shooter though for all the reasons already stated. However when you want ultimate sharpness over the whole image when you can shoot stopped down it's the lens to grab in place of any fixed focal length in this range. My only gripe is the far corners on the A7r which can soften in the foreground. The Minolta is not too bad but not a patch on the contax when you start pixel peeping away from the center but it's cheap, small, has a good look and can be used fairly easily with it's 2 touch design. The 28-75 has AF and IS and it's cheap( ish) but the AF is unreliable and inaccurate when used stopped down which is the only place it performs adequately so it's hard to recommend - I may keep it for video of I get the a7s but it really has no place on an A7r. I get better pictures with my RX100III if I need AF in this range......

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

if you need smaller apertures, the stock 28-70 isnt actually that bad.. plus its decently light since you dont need the adapter.

Apr 25, 2015 at 01:20 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

Regarding IQ and for nature photography I never had the need to use another lens than the Contax in its range, it's that good! Actually the Contax is the only lens ever I bought a second copy as backup. I use it exclusively beetween f5.6 and f11. The bokeh is not very good, but that's not the point of the lens.
That said, I absolutely agree with Philippe and others regarding the ergonomic shortcomings. That may be one of the reasons I haven't used this lens that much anymore in the last few years. Another important reason is, that I like automatic lens corrections (especially distortion) in post processing, which is a lot more work for lenses without exif information.

Apr 25, 2015 at 05:41 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · which zoom for a7r: FE 24-70 or CY 35-70

shirozina, The Minolta is not too bad but not a patch on the contax when you start pixel peeping away from the center
I've been doing just that, and my copy of the MD, once closed down, isn't far off the C/Y even at the extremes. I'm delighted with it.

crazeazn I agree, the 28-70 FE is surprisingly good, (with the caveats I mention above.)

Apr 26, 2015 at 01:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.