New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

Hockey_Nut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

Hi Everyone,

Is there an action / script that allows Photoshop to extract information from a spreadsheet and then populate pre-existing text fields? I'm having to manually type in the player name & number for all my products and it's wearing me out. If there was some way to get the text automatically placed within the specific text boxes on my templates , the amount of time needed to process my photos would be cut dramatically.

For anyone who deals in volume, is there a way to improve my workflow?

Any suggestions or pushes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:12 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

I don't know the specific answer you are looking for, but here is the direction I would go if I were you. First develop an action to step through your normal activity for a given photo. Have the action pause on each text entry point. In a separate window (I have a large monitor and can show two windows right next to each other), have your spreadsheet and just cut and paste between the two apps. This should really speed you up.

Photoshop can read data externally, but I am a little rusty on my advanced action work and can't give you the details. Try some Google searches. My son was a professional photographer and I put together an action similar to the one you want several years ago. He used it for club and event photos ... the action was really fun to watch in action. Rather than a spreadsheet consider a CVS delimited file export from the spreadsheet in your searches.

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:44 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

I've never used that functionality but here I think is where to get started in the Adobe help files:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html

Googling something like "photoshop variables action" should turn up other tutorials like this one:

http://www.richmediacs.com/user_manuals/RMCS_PS_Training/Using%20PS%20Variables/UsingVariablesInPS_EXTERNAL.html

Nov 12, 2014 at 07:03 AM
Graham Goodman

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

I use Photo Mechanic to do the initial import from the memory cards and do all my tagging in there using Code Replacements. Once they are tagged, then I do the import into Lightroom. The interesting thing is that, even if the keyword is inside a hierarchy in Lightroom, it is able to match the Photo Mechanic keyword with it.

With Code Replacements, you can create a code whereby whenever you type \eo99\ you'd get "Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers" inserted.

Graham.

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:02 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

Graham Goodman wrote:
I use Photo Mechanic to do the initial import from the memory cards and do all my tagging in there using Code Replacements.

I may be mistaken, Graham, but I believe the OP is actually including the data in the image itself, not just metadata and keywords.

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Skirball

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

Variables is exactly what you're looking for. It can put text and/or photos in based off comma separated values (CSV) or just an Excel spreadsheet. Lynda has a good tutorial video that you can find easy enough.

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:26 PM
Hockey_Nut
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop & spreadsheets

Wow … thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I will try the various links & suggestions … a spreadsheet was what came to mind but any sort of list that would allow for the text fields to be populated is what I was looking for.

Thanks again everyone …

Brent

Nov 12, 2014 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.