Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/t...

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/testing

I am thinking of getting the Reikan FoCal.

From what I can make out, it does not have a facility to ensure that the camera sensor plane is parallel to the target, like I think LensAlign has.

I can make sure that the target is mounted flatly on a wall that is truly perpendicular to the floor, and I have a leveling base + pan/tilt head + various spirit levels to ensure that the camera is level on that same floor. So I think I can solve the rotation in two planes ("pitch" and "roll" if we were on an aircraft?). But I am not sure how to make sure that everything is kosher on the other plane ("yaw" if we were on an aircraft).

I've often wondered how people do this not just when calibrating but also testing lenses. I've seen references to laser jigs or mirrors but have not come across actual descriptions on how these are done.

Can fixing the "yaw" be done without specialized (or rather, expensive) equipment? Or otherwise achieved reliably and cheaply with some simple equipment or techniques?

Nov 11, 2014 at 03:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/testing

first of all you may get more response over on the General Forum

but I think the way to do it is using a mirror where your target is . take some test shots into the mirror and will see when everything is parallel to the target . of course you have to get the mirror dead plumb otherwise you will be out

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:19 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/testing

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
first of all you may get more response over on the General Forum

but I think the way to do it is using a mirror where your target is . take some test shots into the mirror and will see when everything is parallel to the target . of course you have to get the mirror dead plumb otherwise you will be out

Ah yes, I was wondering which forum would be appropriate for this question. This forum mentions "calibration" as a topic, hence the choice ...

Thanks for the answer. Will look into using a mirror!

Nov 12, 2014 at 07:52 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/testing

Yeah calibration more in terms of monitor calibration etc.

as per the mirror , i remember a user on here that had made up is own calibration rig with a 45 deg rule and upright chart which had a mirror that could be flipped over the chart . cant remember who it was but it may be worth a search .

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:27 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/testing

Thanks.

I also came across did this excellent article by Roger Cicala, which I found very useful (excellent + useful = could describe almost everything I've read by Cicala/LensRentals!):

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/setting-up-an-optical-testing-station

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:02 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ensuring the sensor plane is parallel to target plane when calibrating/testing

No question the best results come from everything lined up and parallel. At the risk of getting flamed the question pops up as to just how far one is willing to go down this path? My personal situation was that the 1D-X + 400 f/2.8 was front focusing. Getting back in line was important only to the extend that was necessary to provide sharp results in sports action captures (mainly soccer). 15 minutes with the Dot-Tune method and the rig was jamming. Was it just luck to have stumbled on a paralleled setup? Doubt it seriously. At the end of the day, the results spoke clearly. Shots are now in focus. YMMV .... flame away!

Nov 16, 2014 at 09:17 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.