New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom Library on iCloud Drive

Graham Goodman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Library on iCloud Drive

I've currently got my Lightroom library being synched by DropBox. I've been really impressed with how seamlessly this has worked (I came from Aperture where this was simply not an option). However, I'm looking to do some cloud service consolidation and for non-photography reasons, I would more likely stick with iCloud Drive than DropBox.

So, does anyone have any experience with using iCloud Drive to synch their Lightroom library across multiple laptops and desktops?

Thanks,
Graham.

Nov 11, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Library on iCloud Drive

Graham , I've not tried iCloud drive but I am currently trying out OneDrive via office 365 .
they recently announced unlimited storage (yet to be rolled out to most users) so i thought id give the trial a go as I was thinking that as a family we needed the new office anyway .

so far Ive created a test folder within the one drive folder and moved a few gig of RAW images (in various folders) to it from within LR . and I have to say it does a decent job so far . upload speed via my BT infinity has been pretty quick (much quicker than trying to get a few gig upto some other cloud services) .

My next test will be to see if i can sync that folder down to my laptop . but I'm thinking that its not really a viable option because as I'm on a mac at home and my laptop is windows I'm going to have to keep telling one or the other where its one drive folder has moved to .

I will say syncing to multiple devices isn't my main aim at the moment as it was more of a look to see if it could be used as a 2nd backup . (which it looks like it maybe)

I will also ask what your trying to achieve by doing it ?
if you want to work on images on multiple devices then thats what Smart Previews are good for .

Nov 11, 2014 at 02:11 PM
Graham Goodman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Library on iCloud Drive

Ian,

At present, I have my Lightroom library, previews and smart previews in a folder that Dropbox synchs. This means that my library is constantly up to date on my MBPr that I take out on assignment and my desktop at home which I often use to do some more heavy duty stuff back home.

I've also got the library preferences set up as an alias pointing to the master set in a Dropbox folder. As a result, all of my presets, etc. are automatically synched, too.

This has worked great for me. I don't use Dropbox to synch the images themselves. But, when I get home, they get put onto my file server so they both have access to them, anyway.

I'm not looking to do anything different with iCloud Drive. I'd be trying to do exactly the same thing, just using that cloud service instead so that I'm not paying for multiple cloud providers.

Graham.

Nov 11, 2014 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.