FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Help With Future Purchase

incrediblehark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help With Future Purchase

Steve Perry wrote:
I used a D800E and now a D810 for landscapes. Both are completely capable getting amazing landscapes, so no wrong answer.

I do like the 810 better. Live view - while still not perfect - is improved. The higher res screen is much nicer to use and it seems to work better at lower light levels. That said, it's still pretty useless as it gets dark. (Although regular viewfinder AF in the D810 can focus on things I can't even see in the dark, so there's always that).

If you can swing an 810, go for it, but the
...Show more

Steve,

Thanks for the info about the D800E/D810 improvements to the LV, etc.

What would you do in my position? Get the lenses, or a used D800E?

-Cheers

Nov 12, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help With Future Purchase

ckcarr wrote:
But, it's extremely difficult to use in the dark as far as precise focus. The 14-24mm is strong.. it can lock focus when you can't see, like Dead Horse Point in the dark.

I am primarily a night photographer, and have figured out a way to accurately focus even my f5.6 lenses used on 4x5 at night. As for the D800E vs. other cameras, the MAIN advantage I see is it's ability to make bigger than 16x20 enlargements with ease (assuming good technique of course.) It also has more pixels to crop with, obviously. Here's a shot I made a few days ago with D800E and Sigma 35mm f1.4. I leveled the camera and simply cropped off the bottom, to avoid distortion. First I'll show the entire image (remembering I cropped off bottom third) and then a close up detail of the number boards (6211) on the train (train was moving ~40 mph.) This is what I mean by stunning sharpness! Oh, camera or lenses. I'd buy lenses first since they are the most important thing. Meanwhile, the camera will continue to drift down in price.

Kent in SD

RCPE at Garvin, MN

Crop from above

Nov 12, 2014 at 06:03 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help With Future Purchase

incrediblehark wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for the info about the D800E/D810 improvements to the LV, etc.

What would you do in my position? Get the lenses, or a used D800E?

-Cheers

Tough call - if you get a D800e, you'll want better lenses, but if you get better lenses, you'll want a D800e. When in doubt, I usually go lenses first. I shot a 24MP camera for years and have sold (and still sell) all kinds of images (large ones too) from it, so 24MP isn't the end of the world. Lots of room there and in time the 810s will drop in price.

That said, what about a nice used 24-70 + D800e? Not sure if the numbers work, but if you sell the other gear (d600, every lens but the 14-24) you may have enough extra $$ for your budget.

The 24-70 is pretty darn good on the D8xx series, although it is a little weak at the wide end (24mm isn't very good, but that's what the 14-24 is for).

The 24-70 can't quite match the newer primes in sharpness at the same focal lengths, but I use mine on a regular basis in circumstances where the primes aren't quite the right focal length or they're too much of a hassle (like when you're standing in the middle of a ranging stream and don't really want to attempt to go back to shore for a different lens). Still a wicked sharp lens, although maybe not as fun as a set of primes.

Personally, I go zooms before primes - too many times I need an in-between focal length, but I know everyone's style is different. Just a thought...

Nov 12, 2014 at 06:19 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help With Future Purchase

Two23 wrote:
I am primarily a night photographer, and have figured out a way to accurately focus even my f5.6 lenses used on 4x5 at night. As for the D800E vs. other cameras, the MAIN advantage I see is it's ability to make bigger than 16x20 enlargements with ease (assuming good technique of course.) It also has more pixels to crop with, obviously. Here's a shot I made a few days ago with D800E and Sigma 35mm f1.4. I leveled the camera and simply cropped off the bottom, to avoid distortion. First I'll show the entire image (remembering I cropped off bottom
...Show more

Thanks again for the advice Kent.

I'm definitely leaning towards the lenses, narrowing those down is a different story.

Cool night pic!

Nov 12, 2014 at 07:53 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help With Future Purchase

Steve Perry wrote:
Tough call - if you get a D800e, you'll want better lenses, but if you get better lenses, you'll want a D800e. When in doubt, I usually go lenses first. I shot a 24MP camera for years and have sold (and still sell) all kinds of images (large ones too) from it, so 24MP isn't the end of the world. Lots of room there and in time the 810s will drop in price.

That said, what about a nice used 24-70 + D800e? Not sure if the numbers work, but if you sell the other gear (d600, every lens
...Show more

It is a never ending dilemma, good thing I'm not made of money, it would be worse....

I'm definitely going to choose lenses first, only because I think you guys are right about the D800E causing more lens lust issues for me in the short term. I do need something in the 35mm range which started this whole thing. So I'm trying to narrow down the best options for me.

Have you (or anyone else) used the Nikon 28mm 1.8G for close range portrait/people pics? I'm very interested in the 28 because it can also double as an awesome landscape lens. But if it's not good for around the house family shots in the F1.8 to f4 range, I'd be better suited with the Nikon 35mm 1.8G.

I do like primes a lot better than zooms. It was a hard decision for me to go with the 14-24 over the Zeiss 21mm for that reason. I'm really happy with my 14-24, the wider end is absolutely stunning. My only complaint is the pesky flare when shooting directly into the sun. I'd love to have something, in addition to the zoom, that would be better suited to shoot towards the sun in brighter conditions. Therefore the new 20mm might be an option.

The longer end of things is not a priority for me at this point. I think the Nikon 85 f1.8G would be awesome, but not something I'd use more than a wide prime or something in the 28-35mm focal length.

-Cheers

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Help With Future Purchase

I have been on both sides of the fence about lenses over the past two decades. First, I went with consumer zooms, mainly for the cost and convenience. The images were soft though, and couldn't stand up to even an 8x10 (35mm camera in early 1990s.) Then, I went with all single focal lenses, mostly shooting 645 (mid to late 1990s). While that definitely improved my image quality enough to be selling to local/regional stock agencies, I quickly discovered I was missing fast breaking shots, standing there helpless with a wide angle lens on my camera and having to miss shots I would need a medium tele to catch. So, I went to pro f2.8 zooms. These were fast, great image quality, and reduced the bulk and weight of my camera bag while giving maximum flexibility. The f2.8 zooms were terrific for wedding shooting etc., but a pain the butt for travel and "street" photography because they are conspicuous and intimidating in some situations. Also not much fun carrying on the subway & Loop trains of Chicago (I actually started carrying a 70 yr. old Leica for that.) Now, I'm backing out of the wedding business (too time consuming, not much fun,) and am shooting what I want. I'm a 4x5 shooter at heart (and still often use one), so I'm used to that work flow. It fits my style. Hence, I buy Nikon's biggest sensor camera and a set of the very best (for my purpose) lenses for it. The D800E is in effect just a more convenient "4x5" for my landscape & architectural photos. But, it's bulky and a pain in the ass for family outings, travel, and "street" photography. I'm being pulled in two directions. My solution is to have two systems: D800E + highest quality single focal lenses, and a smaller D5300 with a couple of travel sized zooms. I will likely replace the D5300 with an OM-D and a couple of their smallish f2.8 zooms. Ultimately this is the best solution for me. Two systems will increase cost, and if I was wanting to reduce that, I would go with a couple of single focals (probably just 24mm PC-E and Sigma 35mm f1.4) and a couple of Nikon's f4 zooms. I would have an inexpensive older camera as my travel/street/back up, such as D5200.

Who knows, ten years from now I might just be back to shooting 4x5 and a small OM-D type camera.

Kent in SD

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:40 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Help With Future Purchase

incrediblehark wrote:
It is a never ending dilemma, good thing I'm not made of money, it would be worse....

I'm definitely going to choose lenses first, only because I think you guys are right about the D800E causing more lens lust issues for me in the short term. I do need something in the 35mm range which started this whole thing. So I'm trying to narrow down the best options for me.

Have you (or anyone else) used the Nikon 28mm 1.8G for close range portrait/people pics? I'm very interested in the 28 because it can also double as an awesome landscape lens. But
...Show more

Can't say I've used the 28 for much in the way of portrait work, but I have seen some pretty sweet stuff from other members of the forum in that dept.

As for 14-24 flare, here's I video I did describing how I fix it:

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:04 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Help With Future Purchase

Two23 wrote:
I have been on both sides of the fence about lenses over the past two decades. First, I went with consumer zooms, mainly for the cost and convenience. The images were soft though, and couldn't stand up to even an 8x10 (35mm camera in early 1990s.) Then, I went with all single focal lenses, mostly shooting 645 (mid to late 1990s). While that definitely improved my image quality enough to be selling to local/regional stock agencies, I quickly discovered I was missing fast breaking shots, standing there helpless with a wide angle lens on my camera and having to miss
...Show more

I completely agree with you about having two systems. I'd be keep my D610 for everyday use if I did purchase a D8 series in the future, that would be strictly for landscapes.

This lens decision is tough for me because I also believe in good glass, and good equipment for that matter. The issue I have with the Zeiss is the overlap with my 14-24. Is it worth it for me to spend that amount of money on a lens within the overlap of another great lens...? Tough decision, especially if I need something in the 35mm range for everyday purposes. Again, my present dilemma.

The suggestion of the 24mm PC-E has really made me think. It's unique and challenging, which would make me forget about the overlap with my 14-24.

Would you get the Nikon 28mm 1.8G, the Nikon 35mm 1.8G, and the 20mm 1.8G if you were in my predicament? Or would you stick with only the higher end glass, the Zeiss 21mm, the Nikon 24 PC-E, the Sigma 35 Art, etc?

-Cheers

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Help With Future Purchase

incrediblehark wrote:
1. The suggestion of the 24mm PC-E has really made me think. It's unique and challenging, which would make me forget about the overlap with my 14-24.

2. Would you get the Nikon 28mm 1.8G, the Nikon 35mm 1.8G, and the 20mm 1.8G if you were in my predicament? Or would you stick with only the higher end glass, the Zeiss 21mm, the Nikon 24 PC-E, the Sigma 35 Art, etc?

1. The 24mm PC-E gives entirely different capabilities from the 14-24mm. One is for the "classic" landscape look, the other is for faster use and flexibility. While the same focal length, they don't really overlap purpose.

2. My favorite hand held (i.e. no tripod) camera system is my c.1942 Leica IIIc and four 1940s vintage Leica lenses. I just love that little camera and its tiny lenses! Leica got it right and it's still right for street shooting and travel. For that camera I have 28/35/50/90mm Elmars (f3.5). I find I like the 28mm best for "street" shooting, which is what I use that camera for. I rarely use the 35mm and might end up selling it, I don't know. Originally I wasn't going to buy the 35mm Sigma at all, and just have 24/50/85mm only, and use my Nikon 80-400mm AFS if when wanted but not normally take it along. It's a very simple system of lenses that I'm used to: my 645 system was 40/75/150/250mm, and my 4x5 is 90/150/300mm (modern lenses) or 100/150/240mm (historic lenses.) What changed my mind was reading the specs and reviews on the Sigma 35mm. I ended up buying one just because it's so good! A 28mm is just too close to 24mm, and the 24m PC-E was 75% of the reason I was buying a D800E in the first place. My lens selection starts with thinking about what I want the lenses to do, and then coming up with the basic spread. As I mentioned earlier, I might pick up a used Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f2.8 for $250. It's very highly rated on DxO and highly regarded by Roger Ciacala (Lens Rentals Blog). I just don't think I'd use something wider than 24mm often enough to justify spending another thousand or so. The 20mm f1.8G sound good, but it's too close to the 24mm for my needs. I'm trying to keep to my strategy of very pieces, but the very finest available.

Kent in SD

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:35 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Help With Future Purchase

Steve Perry wrote:
Can't say I've used the 28 for much in the way of portrait work, but I have seen some pretty sweet stuff from other members of the forum in that dept.

As for 14-24 flare, here's I video I did describing how I fix it:

Thanks for the video link Steve. I've just started working with masks, etc, you've done a great job explaining it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:36 AM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Help With Future Purchase

Hey Everyone,

I'm just following up with this thread. (One of the things I hate on forums is not providing closure to a posted topic)

I have decided to go with the Nikon 20mm 1.8 and the Nikon 35mm 1.8ED at this time. There's a great Boxing Week price in my area on both of them so I just ordered them.

I appreciate all the comments and advice that was offered, it's definitely appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Adam

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Help With Future Purchase

Was going to make a suggestion and than realized you ordered. Congrats!

If you do want to try out some 14-24mm filter options. Worth checking out:

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w5003-9512824040.25.tmRQdw&id=36712076966&rn=386d3274a0b0fcb30182cb350e5a1a7d&abbucket=11&scene=taobao_shop

http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/filters-on-the-nikon-af-s-nikkor-14-24-mm-128g-ed/

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Help With Future Purchase

davewolfs wrote:
Was going to make a suggestion and than realized you ordered. Congrats!

If you do want to try out some 14-24mm filter options. Worth checking out:

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w5003-9512824040.25.tmRQdw&id=36712076966&rn=386d3274a0b0fcb30182cb350e5a1a7d&abbucket=11&scene=taobao_shop

http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/filters-on-the-nikon-af-s-nikkor-14-24-mm-128g-ed/

No worries!

What are the cheapy filter holders like? Have you, or anyone else, had any experience with the cheap holders?

Adam

Dec 30, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Help With Future Purchase

Yeah I bought Steve's Zeiss 21mm from him. Lol since you have the 14-24 I'd stick with that it's a killer lens and is brutally sharp. I'd say since you're 35 is actung out get a sigma 35mm or possibly look into maybe a 24-70mm

Dec 30, 2014 at 08:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.