New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1st & 2nd curtain sync...same exposure

billjemison

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st & 2nd curtain sync...same exposure

I have a project in mind that would need a flash pop when the shutter opens and when it closes. Has anyone here done that or have any ideas as to how to do it?

Thanks

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM
billjemison

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st & 2nd curtain sync...same exposure

I arrived at a solution on another forum, but thought it would be interesting to others so I'm copying it here:

"...another problem you will have is setting a strobe to second curtain as this only works with speedlights..."

This is the key to the solution. I didn't realize that studio strobes don't normally allow for second curtain sync. I used to be able to use second curtain and studio strobes with my old Hassy, but remember that I had to use a different sync socket at the rear curtain.

So the solution is simple. Use one speedlight on-camera set to second curtain and any other flash through the sync. socket. I just got through testing with a cheapo wireless transmitter via sync socket to a 420 w/550 on camera. Also tried with a photogenic speedlight attached directly to the sync socket.

Thanks for the hint!

Nov 11, 2014 at 01:12 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.