FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Love-Hate and second chances

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Love-Hate and second chances

The last time I used my 100-400 was 2011. I loved the versatility but hated the output. I know some of you had/have good copies and could make magic but mine turned wonderful moments into WTF moments. This was one of the last photos I took with it and it was the best of the worst. Now a new version is announced....is it worth giving it a second chance? If it is as good as the 70-300L I'll be sold on it.
Eric

http://eyelaser.smugmug.com/Nature/UgandaKenya-2011/i-xQ9NNPt/1/XL/IMGU4482cheetahapproaching-XL.jpg

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Love-Hate and second chances

You should have had your previous version checked or exchanged. New version will be better than the 70-300L, IMO.

Tony

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Love-Hate and second chances

This shot looks good, but the shooting conditions appear optimum. I never liked that lens either. Knowing you, you'll be the first kid on the block with the new version!!!!
Don

Nov 11, 2014 at 06:38 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Love-Hate and second chances

Imagemaster wrote:
You should have had your previous version checked or exchanged. New version will be better than the 70-300L, IMO.

Tony

ya think? Too late I'm afraid.
---------------------------------------------

DonGut wrote:
This shot looks good, but the shooting conditions appear optimum. I never liked that lens either. Knowing you, you'll be the first kid on the block with the new version!!!!
Don

Thanks, that makes me feel better....not. Not sure I'll be the first but with lots to trade in now it won't hurt nearly as much.
Eric

Nov 11, 2014 at 07:26 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Love-Hate and second chances

Still a nice shot Eric. The 7D2 and the 100-400 2 might be a great combo - go for it ~ Ron

Nov 11, 2014 at 08:35 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Love-Hate and second chances

This one is certainly a keeper Eric, great shot.
David

Nov 11, 2014 at 03:27 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Love-Hate and second chances

Eric, you could always switch to Nikon.

Alan

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Love-Hate and second chances

I had to change three copies of the 100-400L to finally find one that I love Now I'm not sure I want to replace it with the new one. (But I know I probably will especially if it is going to be as good as the 100-300L as you said
I guess we always expect (rightly) high quality from any lens, especially when we compare with the images we get from the big teles.
BTW the image looks fine
Socrate

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Love-Hate and second chances

Nice shot with the old 100-400, Eric. I vote for a second chance. You make me think to get one too.

- Tam

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Love-Hate and second chances

Hi Eric,

Sometimes it's about learning to take advantage of the strong points of a lens while avoiding the week ones. This is why you usually see me using my 80-400 VR at f8, it's just a little bit sharper ar 400mm, and this can make a huge difference.

I'm waitlisted on a lens that I have tried out and was very impressed with. Will have to see how it goes in the field and I expect his will be very weil.

Morris

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:06 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Love-Hate and second chances

surfnron wrote:
Still a nice shot Eric. The 7D2 and the 100-400 2 might be a great combo - go for it ~ Ron

Thanks Ron....I am hoping it will be a good combo for those times the big rig is inconvenient

David Leask wrote:
This one is certainly a keeper Eric, great shot.
David

Thanks David

angel manguel wrote:
Eric, you could always switch to Nikon.

Alan

Been there, done that

Shasoc wrote:
I had to change three copies of the 100-400L to finally find one that I love Now I'm not sure I want to replace it with the new one. (But I know I probably will especially if it is going to be as good as the 100-300L as you said
I guess we always expect (rightly) high quality from any lens, especially when we compare with the images we get from the big teles.
BTW the image looks fine
Socrate

That is one of the problems....I hope I can be as happy with the images from this lens as I am with the bigger primes and top of the line tele zoom...I know my arms and shoulders will be thankful

canon.eos30d wrote:
Nice shot with the old 100-400, Eric. I vote for a second chance. You make me think to get one too.

- Tam

I do think the new lens will have a place in my kit bag.

morris wrote:
Hi Eric,

Sometimes it's about learning to take advantage of the strong points of a lens while avoiding the week ones. This is why you usually see me using my 80-400 VR at f8, it's just a little bit sharper ar 400mm, and this can make a huge difference.

I'm waitlisted on a lens that I have tried out and was very impressed with. Will have to see how it goes in the field and I expect his will be very weil.

Morris

Agree 100%...in this case the best place for this lens was in the closet....I never felt comfortable with it and it was a big mistake to take it on a trip and use it for photos that I can't get again....lesson learned.

Eric

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:51 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Love-Hate and second chances

nice shot, Eric. looking forward to getting a review of the 100-400 II from you,
In all honesty, I love my copy of the 100-400 L. I actually dropped it in PHX, but the canon guys fixed it and it is good as new.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.