New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

OK, those of you with 7DMkII cum grip, let us cut to the chase: does the Canon grip feel "solid" or not ? What's the consensus ?

(Like Jim, I need a bulkier camera when having long lenses on it. Yet, I'd rather make do with bare 7DMkII than have a grip on it that moves and feels rickety.)

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:31 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

Peter,

Not as solid as my unitized 1D Mark IV body, but solid enough for my needs. It feels like it is better built than the original and knock-off 7D grip. I also like having the duplicate joystick and button controls.

dan

PetKal wrote:
OK, those of you with 7DMkII cum grip, let us cut to the chase: does the Canon grip feel "solid" or not ? What's the consensus ?

(Like Jim, I need a bulkier camera when having long lenses on it. Yet, I'd rather make do with bare 7DMkII than have a grip on it that moves and feels rickety.)

Nov 13, 2014 at 06:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

EB-1 wrote:
Does the grip actually improve any performance as with Nikons? I've found that most of the Canon grips do little more than add bulk and decrease reliability.

EBH

Herb wrote:
With a wrist strap it is the only way I set my cameras up, even my wife with the new 7D II I gave her the option of no grip to make it a bit lighter and she was no, I want the grip and my wrist strap. It makes carrying the camera really very easy, you can grip it and relax your hand down by your side and the camera is not going anywhere. It provides extra holding power for any size lens I want to put on the camera.

Just the extra ease of holding the camera makes it
...Show more

I tried the hand strap on the older 1D series bodies and don't find it useful. I also find the vertical grip on the 1D bodies difficult to use, especially with a plate attached. Apparently I'm abnormal.

EBH

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:17 AM
Konablue
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

diverhank wrote:
Dumb question -hoping to save self-research: Are the LP-6 (for 5DIII) and LP-6N (for 7DII) compatible? Do I have to carry both chargers and diff. batteries for the two models? TIA.

Yes

Multi-quote · Like

Yes to which question?
1. Are the batteries compatible between the 5DIII and 7DII ?
2. Are the chargers for these cameras compatible between these two batteries ?

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:54 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

Chargers for 7D, 7D2, 6D, 60D and 70D that I have owned have the same part number: LC-E6.
7D2 came with LP-E6N battery. I have been using LP-E6 without any problems,

HTH

Konablue wrote:
Yes to which question?

Nov 13, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

EB-1 wrote:
I tried the hand strap on the older 1D series bodies and don't find it useful. I also find the vertical grip on the 1D bodies difficult to use, especially with a plate attached. Apparently I'm abnormal.

EBH
I wouldnt say abnormal, just that it didnt work for you....I have no problem with the grip in vertical mode either....just different strokes for different folks.....

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:44 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

diverhank wrote:
Dumb question -hoping to save self-research: Are the LP-6 (for 5DIII) and LP-6N (for 7DII) compatible? Do I have to carry both chargers and diff. batteries for the two models? TIA.

Yes

Multi-quote · Like

Konablue wrote:
Yes to which question?

Both batteries use the same charger.
Both batteries cane be used interchangeably in the 5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 7D2, 60D, and 70D.
You can also mix and match them in the grips without issues.

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:52 PM
CanonPhotog

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

PetKal wrote:

The heaviest lens I use is the Tamron 150-600, so there are a couple of variables that might make a difference to you. One being if you are shooting super teles, the additional weight may be a factor depending on how you support the body/lens. Another factor would be how the camera body is supported in portrait mode with a heavy lens attached. I can see where the torque may be a factor if one tries to "muscle" the rig around in this orientation.

For me and my gear/handling, the grip feels nearly as solid as 1 series bodies. It feels as good, maybe even better, as the grip on my 5DIII. There's no play, no wiggle, no squeaks. The fit and finish are very excellent. I don't have overly large hands, but the grips really help when holding in horizontal mode as well.

Nov 14, 2014 at 03:32 AM
pKai
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Lots of people don't like hand straps. I tried them and they're not for me. Same with plates... I see their usefulness, but I could never get used to the feel of it under my hand.

Naked vertical grips, OTOH are completely indispensible for me with the integrated version on the 1-series being preferable in feel over the add-on grips. A non-1 series in my employ will get a grip before I even pick it up.

3rd-party grips I've tried here and there in the past have been generally junk so I've always stuck to Canon. I've seen only one exception to this over the years... I damaged by OEM Canon 5D2 grip about a year ago (physical damage, out of the camera, not the fault of the grip) and was looking to replace it with another Canon when a friend told me about the Vello BG-C2.2 grip which has the 5D3-style side load battery tray. Like the OEM 5D3 grip, the side-loading design allows it to not be shaped like a brick and therefore feels much better in the hand. I tried it on his 5D2 and liked it so I bought one for mine. It feels as solid as OEM and so far has stood up to the abuse I dish out.

Nov 14, 2014 at 08:37 AM
pKai
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Lots of people don't like hand straps. I tried them and they're not for me. Same with plates... I see their usefulness, but I could never get used to the feel of it under my hand.

Naked vertical grips, OTOH are completely indispensible for me with the integrated version on the 1-series being by far preferable in feel over all the add-on grips. A non-1 series in my employ will "get a grip" before I even pick it up.

3rd-party grips I've tried here and there in the past have been generally junk so I've always stuck to Canon. I've seen only one exception to this over the years... I damaged by OEM Canon 5D2 grip about a year ago (physical damage, out of the camera, not the fault of the grip) and was looking to replace it with another Canon when a friend told me about the Vello BG-C2.2 grip which has the 5D3-style side load battery tray. Like the OEM 5D3 grip, the side-loading design allows it to not be shaped like a brick and therefore feels much better in the hand. I tried it on his 5D2 and liked it so I bought one for mine. It feels as solid as OEM and so far has stood up to the fair level of abuse I dish out.

Nov 14, 2014 at 08:40 AM
ardvorak
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

I have always used the OEM grips on my cameras. Don't do so much portrait shooting (maybe 10% of my photos?), but the balance and additional battery capacity sell me. The 7DII is a power glutton. After four hours of shooting it without the grip, it took a fully-charged battery down to 27%, and that was with GPS turned off...

Needless to say, my grip will be here tomorrow!

Nov 14, 2014 at 09:51 AM
vw151
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 7D Mk2 Verticle Grip and Batteries are here

Yes the grip feels solid, of course it's not as solid as a 1 series, no offense but kind of ridiculous comparison. Personally I'd have loved it if the 7D came with a grip built in and took the 1 series batteries, but I understand why Canon didn't do that. I'm sure plenty of people would complain.

I always felt the original 7D grip was great and plenty solid, For me the grip and body were never separated except for cleaning.

Yes the new and old batteries are interchangeable.

The only performance improvement I'm aware of that the grip gives is the ability to run 2 batteries. What improved performance do nikons get?

I've always liked the full body feel as I'm a big guy with large hands, the vertical grip just makes the camera feel better in my hand, not to mention the function it's designed for, the ability to shoot vertical with out contorting your hands.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.