New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

One of the artists at an arts festival I went to recently was Gary Love. I had never heard of him, but he is apparently a higly followed photographer. The images were nice, but I was more impressed with the way the photos were presented. I'm hoping some of you have seen his images and can tell me how/where I can get my images printed this way. They looked lIke aluminum prints that float abut a half inch or so from the wall. But instead of being actually printed on the aluminum, it looks as if they were printed on paper that was glued to the aluminium. Very seamless and I thought it was a very classy way to present the images. Has anyone seen these images and know how it is done or where I can have it done?

Thanks,
Jim

Nov 10, 2014 at 08:12 PM
jforkner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

Don't know of Gary Love, but you might check here for metal prints.

Jack

Nov 11, 2014 at 08:57 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

Thanks Jack. I have used Bay before for metal prints. But these were different. Bay prints directly to the metal. These look like paper - even had a slightly pebbled finish and a lustre type finish that appears to have been glued/mounted to the metal in some fashion.

Nov 11, 2014 at 09:32 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

JimKied wrote:
One of the artists at an arts festival I went to recently was Gary Love. I had never heard of him, but he is apparently a higly followed photographer. The images were nice, but I was more impressed with the way the photos were presented. I'm hoping some of you have seen his images and can tell me how/where I can get my images printed this way. They looked lIke aluminum prints that float abut a half inch or so from the wall. But instead of being actually printed on the aluminum, it looks as if they were printed on
...Show more

I know a lot of landscape photographers, but this is the first I've ever heard of this one.

Were the seemingly paper prints protected by a plastic overlay of some sort? Usually when images are bonded to metal or similar materials a protective layer (typically quite glossy) is bonded over the top of the image. Unprotected paper prints are rather delicate things, and I'd be concerned about displaying them without any sort of covering.

Prints laminated to metal and other substrates are quite common these days and just about any print operation can offer you several options.

Dan

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

Dan - I really couldn't tell. I want to say that the surface was protected somehow, but if it was it was very thin and not glossy at all. Very good sharpness and details throughout. No reflections. I saw a worker wiping them off with a damp rag. She couldn't tell me how they were protected.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

Look at www.garylove.net. I know you will not be able to tell the surface, but it may help with what I am trying to describe. And for fun, look at his pricing......

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

Couldn't tell. Maybe it's chromaroll? They sell a highly
Y reflective aluminum type paper.

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:31 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gary Love Prints -Metal?

That is just it - it was an reflective at all. More like a pebbled lustre. Very nice effect when you don't want reflections.

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.