New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

Does the 7D mk II improved autofocus result in sharper images, more images in focus, or both?

Thanks...Alan

Nov 10, 2014 at 01:39 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

If you're using lenses that can take advantage of the precision of the cross-type points, select the appropriate AF mode for the task, and can keep the AF point on target, then you should see more in-focus images. Sharpness depends on other factors like glass, motion blur, camera shake, etc. in addition to precise focus. Just my two cents, but I think the AF system in this camera is every bit as good as the one in the 5D3 and 1DX.

Nov 10, 2014 at 01:52 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

mitesh wrote:
If you're using lenses that can take advantage of the precision of the cross-type points, select the appropriate AF mode for the task, and can keep the AF point on target, then you should see more in-focus images. Sharpness depends on other factors like glass, motion blur, camera shake, etc. in addition to precise focus. Just my two cents, but I think the AF system in this camera is every bit as good as the one in the 5D3 and 1DX.

So all factors being equal, a 7D mk II image and a 7D image would appear equally sharp when taken in AISERVO mode.

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:08 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

ahender wrote:
So all factors being equal, a 7D mk II image and a 7D image would appear equally sharp when taken in AISERVO mode.

If both cameras nail the focus, yes. If not, NO. The 7D2 will most likely (from my own experience) result in more keepers, but 2MP will not make images much sharper...

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

I cannot tell you precisely why, but I can tell you that I am getting a multiple of my keeper ratio in tough situations. I was previously using the 70D, which I liked.

The latest example is a little corkscrew slide that my kids like to dive down in a local playground. My 70d would catch one (maybe two) frames in focus as they rocketed down, and that was largely because I was pre-focusing at a specific point with desired composition. To do otherwise would make them all out of focus, but for when I got dumb lucky.

Took the 7d2 out yesterday to same place, and I just stuck the little screen doohickey on their eye area, and followed them down, and almost every single shot was in focus. Did this perhaps 10 times. It allowed me to lower the aperture number to try to get some better bokeh and a different look.

Still haven't had a chance to go out on birds yet. Can't wait.

To your specific question: I was able to get sharp images previously, and don't expect any improvement on that, but I am getting more in focus.

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

ahender wrote:

An "almost" in focus image will look softer than a "sharply" in focus image. There is almost alway some variation from "perfection" or peak sharpness.

Older cameras had a lot more variability in their auto focus systems. The 7DII is much more accurate than the 7D.

So in AI Servo mode, the few "absolutely best" images from the 7D won't look much different from the best images on the 7DII. But a large percentage of images will look better on the 7DII.

+++

Here is Roger Cicala's comment on the 7DII:

OK, I have to admit I really like the 7D Mark II. I didn’t want to because it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to see the new Canon chip foundry that would be cranking out high-resolution sensors. But despite wanting to hate the 22-megapixel APS-C camera, after a fairly short exposure to the autofocus system, I have to admit I like it. There’s just something about getting every shot in focus every time that’s appealing to me.

+++

For background, you might read this article from earlier this year:

Why You Can’t Optically Test Your Lens with Autofocus"

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/why-you-cant-optically-test-your-lens-with-autofocus

For more detail, you might read this article from 2012. And the whiole series if interested:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

+++

From the last article, you'll notice that the standard deviation (SD) of the variance in the auto focus on the

7D - is 41

5D3 - is 17
1Dx - is 17

The 5D3 & 1DX auto focus systems are much more accurate, leading to a much higher percentage of "acceptably sharp" images.

The 7DII seems to be as good as the 5D3 & 1DX for accuracy. It might also better them in some instances, being a few years newer, and having 150K pixels and IR sensitivity in the metering system, for example.

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:35 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

Thanks for all the responses. Alan

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:39 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D mk II "Improved" Autofocus Question

tiggy wrote:
The latest example is a little corkscrew slide that my kids like to dive down in a local playground. My 70d would catch one (maybe two) frames in focus as they rocketed down, and that was largely because I was pre-focusing at a specific point with desired composition. To do otherwise would make them all out of focus, but for when I got dumb lucky.

Took the 7d2 out yesterday to same place, and I just stuck the little screen doohickey on their eye area, and followed them down, and almost every single shot was in focus. Did this perhaps
...Show more

So it sounds like you're comparing the results from two different methods of focusing: pre-composing and following the subject using AI Servo. I don't think that's an accurate comparison. Your 70D was more than capable of following kids on a slide with AI Servo, and likely would have given you a similar result as what you're seeing now.

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.