New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Art Nouveau
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

I've used an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 for a long time, and it's held up well. I've only printed on 8.5 x 11 Epson Premium Luster photo paper so far, but now I'd like to go big. Any recommendations on best-bang-for-the-buck 13 x 19 paper?

I had a package of 13 x 19 Epson paper I bought a few years ago, and when I finally popped it open this morning, imagine my surprise when I discovered it was thin inkjet paper. Epson calls it "photo quality" but it looks about as archival as a Kleenex.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

well, you want best-bang paper or you want archival. Rarely do the 2 qualities 'intersect' and thickness/weight isn't a prime factor. Most non-'fine art' papers ahve brightening agents to make them appear white or super-white. Those agents 'burn out' after a number of years and the paper starts going yellow-ish.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Art Nouveau
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

howardm4 wrote:
well, you want best-bang paper or you want archival. Rarely do the 2 qualities 'intersect' and thickness/weight isn't a prime factor. Most non-'fine art' papers ahve brightening agents to make them appear white or super-white. Those agents 'burn out' after a number of years and the paper starts going yellow-ish.

The terms aren't mutually exclusive the way I define them; given equal quality between two brands, the lower price would be better "bang for the buck." It's possible there are no "deals", but my only experience is with Epson paper, so I thought I'd ask.

A related can of worms is BBFTB archival ink, but that's grist for another mill...

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM
beauport
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Some papers worth considering and which I have had success with:
Canson Baryta Photographique
Canson Arches Velin Museum 315
Canson BK Rives
Epson Exhibition Fiber

Nov 10, 2014 at 01:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Art Nouveau wrote:
I've used an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 for a long time, and it's held up well. I've only printed on 8.5 x 11 Epson Premium Luster photo paper so far, but now I'd like to go big. Any recommendations on best-bang-for-the-buck 13 x 19 paper?

I had a package of 13 x 19 Epson paper I bought a few years ago, and when I finally popped it open this morning, imagine my surprise when I discovered it was thin inkjet paper. Epson calls it "photo quality" but it looks about as archival as a Kleenex.

Epson Premium Lustre (now known as "ultra premium lustre") is an archival paper. The term refers to the color-fastness of the print, and not to the thickness or other qualities of the paper.

I think what you are really asking about is not the "archival" nature of the paper, but more its tactile quality — thickness, surface texture, paper color, and so forth.

In this regard, Premium Lustre paper has a sort of a "plastic" quality by comparison to some other high end papers. The lustre finish is a common and popular choice. This epson paper also has a "cold" tonality that some might see as a bit blue when compared side by side with other paper options. It is also an OBA ("optical brightening agent") paper whose apparent whiteness/brightness has been increased by adding some ingredients to the paper.

There are no "right" or "best" choices when it comes to paper. Quite a few manufacturers make excellent papers, and with all kinds of finishes ranging from matte through lustre to glossy. Generally, I recommend avoiding the OBA papers for archival printing, since the OBA coatings supposedly will change over time and the paper may end up a bit less white.

You'll get lots of suggestions regarding specific choices. Some of the better Epson papers with the surface you prefer could easily be right for you, and I know people who use them for fine art prints. I happen to use something else, but the specifics are probably not that important.

You'll hear certain folks tell you that Paper A is "the best," that it is better than everything else, that it "blows the others out of the water." Be very cautious about trusting the words of such people. If you know a lot of photographers who do a lot of printing, you'll discover that there are many excellent papers and that different photographers have very different ideas about the right papers, and that their/our choices involve a lot of subjectivity. I know people who love to print on metal media and others who would never do so. Some love matte papers while others prefer lustre finishes. Some love brand A while others are equally in love with brand B or C.

A good approach is to perhaps try a few papers from companies with good names and to then settle on one or two for most of your printing — that way you can learn the subtleties of that paper and learn to get the best results from it. It is fine to try other things from time to time, but more as an ongoing experiment. It is generally not a good idea to switch around too much.

Dan

Edited on Nov 10, 2014 at 07:09 PM · View previous versions

Nov 10, 2014 at 02:06 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

I consider Canson Baryta Photographique the best bank for the buck, but it has brighteners so image stability is less good than the Canson Platine, containing no OBA, but it offers less bang for the buck...

I would not use Epson Premium Luster were it delivered to my home for free.

John Caldwell

Nov 10, 2014 at 03:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl is simply awesome. About as crisp with as most pop as you can find and yet apparently without any brighteners that will fade or do weird things over time.

It was definitely better than anything else I tried and totally blew most stuff out of the water.

Nov 10, 2014 at 03:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Some of the papers recommended above by others use lots of brighteners and are said to change in weird ways over time, especially some of the Epson papers.

Nov 10, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Art Nouveau
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Hmmm... I wasn't aware of the brightening agent issue. I think I'll get out of the Epson box and try some others mentioned here.

It's funny; I used to think the difference between a print lasting, say, fifty years vs. a hundred years was a big deal. Now, I think it's only important that it outlast me.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Art Nouveau wrote:
Hmmm... I wasn't aware of the brightening agent issue. I think I'll get out of the Epson box and try some others mentioned here.

It's funny; I used to think the difference between a print lasting, say, fifty years vs. a hundred years was a big deal. Now, I think it's only important that it outlast me.

By the way, I don't think that anyone was yet explicit in this thread about the meaning of the term "baryta," which you'll see on a number of papers. (The Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk that I like is a baryta paper.)

Baryta is a "natural" agent used to make paper whiter. It is not as white as the OBA, which work by a different sort of (almost literally) magic, but it is much more archival.

Dan

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

The epson "signature worthy" papers are very nice. There are some vids on you tube talking about them.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Kannalaphoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

There is no "best" paper and anyone that says there is probably doesn't know too much about the subject. Best is dependant on the particular image, and the feel you are going for. There are many superior options out there, and it's a matter of preferences and the feel of the image. It's amazing how a switch in paper can give your image a subtle difference that...well..makes all the difference.

Generally I try to stay away from anything containing OBA's. I also like to stick with 300+gsm for weight, and finish depends on the image.

I really like Canson Platine. Hahnemuhle has some really nice papers also. Moab has some nice matte papers such as Entrada. Lots of stuff. Pick up sample packs and experiment.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

Kannalaphoto wrote:
There is no "best" paper and anyone that says there is probably doesn't know too much about the subject. Best is dependant on the particular image, and the feel you are going for. There are many superior options out there, and it's a matter of preferences and the feel of the image. It's amazing how a switch in paper can give your image a subtle difference that...well..makes all the difference.

Generally I try to stay away from anything containing OBA's. I also like to stick with 300+gsm for weight, and finish depends on the image.

I really like Canson Platine. Hahnemuhle has
...Show more

Totally agree with this statement. The type of paper really changes the final print. Some images are better printed onto a high gloss finish, yet others look better on a textured matte finish and some look even better on canvas.

That's the real beauty of printing at home, the ability to change the look of the print by changing the paper.

I have settled on 4 different papers that I use for my printing, but am always experimenting with new papers as they hit the street.

Nov 11, 2014 at 07:05 AM
Art Nouveau
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

chez wrote:
Totally agree with this statement. The type of paper really changes the final print. Some images are better printed onto a high gloss finish, yet others look better on a textured matte finish and some look even better on canvas.

That's the real beauty of printing at home, the ability to change the look of the print by changing the paper.

I have settled on 4 different papers that I use for my printing, but am always experimenting with new papers as they hit the street.

What are those papers, please?

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:18 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best archival 13 x 19 photo paper for Epson printer

chez wrote:

It is true that some scenarios demand a different paper. As awesome as the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl is for most things, for something like say a fine art Audubon watercolor replica there are better choices that allow the print to take on more of the original water color feel. Like what Oppenheimer galleries uses for their watercolor replicas. I forget but I think they use Hahnemuhle fine art cotton rag?

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.