Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Alpha_Geist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

I just picked up the D750 a few days ago and realized (after the fact, doh!) that it doesn't have a PC Sync port.

I'm guessing this makes my pocket wizards (III plus) and mecablitz speed light a no-go for wireless off camera flash? Is there another way without investing in Nikon speed lights (via commander mode) or using wired off camera setups?

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM
woodwind
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

I believe Nikon still makes the AS-15 sync terminal which slides into the hotshoe and provides a PC terminal as well as the hot shoe. Probably costs about $30.00

Nov 10, 2014 at 01:21 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

gkeyes wrote:
I believe Nikon still makes the AS-15 sync terminal which slides into the hotshoe and provides a PC terminal as well as the hot shoe. Probably costs about $30.00

Phew! Thanks for the info. I just started exploring flash/photography recently and my heart sank when I was looking for the "misplaced" PC Sync port.

I'm still a noob in the flash realm, so big thanks for helping me out!

Nov 10, 2014 at 01:36 AM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

I just used the AS-15 on a shoot yesterday, I found it a PITA as there is no where for your PW to sit. I had a PW caddy and ended up attaching it to the bottom of my D750, but it slipped off a few times in the heat of running around adjusting light stand.

Nov 10, 2014 at 08:03 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

There's plenty of 3rd party equivalents to the AS-15 which have a shoe on top for mounting flashes and other shoe-mount devices.

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:18 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

You do know that a pocketwizard doesn't REQUIRE that your camera have a PC port?? The PW fits right on your hotshoe....

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:32 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Also, if you are wanting to mount a TTL flash ON TOP of your camera, AND trigger your off camera lights, your best bet is to sell your PW Plus III's and buy some Phottix Stratto II's...they are simple, non-TTL triggers just like PW's...4 channels, 4 groups, and a TTL pass through so you can still run an on camera flash if necessary...and they're WAYYYYY cheaper than PW's...I made the switch like a year ago, and havent looked back...

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:39 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Well do you know the AS-15 fits in the hot shoe taking away that so PW has to mount somewhere else.

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:46 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

thedruid wrote:
Well do you know the AS-15 fits in the hot shoe taking away that so PW has to mount somewhere else.

You missed the point....why does he even NEED a PC Sync, much less an AS-15....

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Also, as I recall, I'm PRREEEETTTYYY sure the 1/8" mini plug on the side of the PW doesn't deactivate the foot contact on the bottom...so if you, say, put the PW on top of the camera, and needed to also fire a flash that was hard wired, like on a bracket, you can simply go 1/8" out of the PW sync jack, into the sync jack of the flash up top....when the PW trips, it trips the light up top....

But, I could be wrong, but that's how the plus II's were....either jack on the top did the same thing...they would fire in both directions...using as either an input, OR an output...

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Or, grab one of these..

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0266/index.shtml

..but still I wanna know why he so desperately needs a PC sync with his PW's.....

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

What point? The AS-15 does not have a shoe on top like the Flash zebra.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

NathanHamler wrote:
Or, grab one of these..

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0266/index.shtml...

+1

Nathan beat me to it, but the flashzebra connector he listed above will solve your problem for $18 with full iTTL pass through and provide a screwlock PC connection.

Fred

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

thedruid wrote:
What point? The AS-15 does not have a shoe on top like the Flash zebra.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/forest-whitaker-eye.jpg

What are you even talking about The OP stated that his pw plus III's were useless because his 750 doesn't have a PC sync....WHY!!? YOU DONT NEED A PC SYNC!!!! At least, he has yet to give a valid reason WHY...

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Haha Nathan! Yeah, I'm also lost in this conversation. Just slide the PW into the hotshoe like it is designed.

If the OP wants to fire remotes wired with PC sync cord (rather than use the PW), then use an AS15 or Flashzebra (or the many other one available) to give the camera a sync port.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

The only thing i'm thinking that he's trying to do, is to put the Metz flash ON THE CAMERA, AND fire his off camera lights at the same time....But this is what he said:

Alpha_Geist wrote:
I just picked up the D750 a few days ago and realized (after the fact, doh!) that it doesn't have a PC Sync port.

I'm guessing this makes my pocket wizards (III plus) and mecablitz speed light a no-go for wireless off camera flash? Is there another way without investing in Nikon speed lights (via commander mode) or using wired off camera setups?

No, a PW and your mecablitz will work fine for off camera flash....i'm lost as to why he would think it wouldn't. It doesn't sound like he's trying to put the mecablitz ON the hot shoe, and THEN add the PW to fire off camera lights.....

#SoLost

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Hi guys! I had a look at my setup after I got home. I guess I had a brain fart because I thought I had my 1/8" mini plug (pc sync cable) plugged into (my previous DSLR's) PC sync port with the PW mounted onto the hot shoe. Thus the thought that I needed a PC sync port to fire OCF. No need for a PC sync port on camera to do what I thought I needed.

Anyways, sorry for confusing everyone and generating a dust storm. Please forgive my stupid question. I'm still learning about flash photography and really trying to get my flash off camera.

Thanks for the help though guys! I'll bookmark that flashzebra link in case I need it down the road where I'm firing off camera flash and with a flash on my hot shoe.

Nathan, how is Phottix line of wireless transceivers? Have you had any issues/hiccups with them? I went with PW because that's what my friends have. Always good to options!

Nov 10, 2014 at 03:01 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Nathan, how is Phottix line of wireless transceivers? Have you had any issues/hiccups with them? I went with PW because that's what my friends have. Always good to options!

Yeah, i love the Phottix Stratto II's.....Phottix has "higher end" models, that transmit TTL, but they seem to have less channels...only 3 vs. 4.....I've only had one issue, where they wouldn't fire when i felt like it should have (based on range not being that far), BUT, i had an alien bee on a stand probably 150 ft away, around the back side of a big ole' metal building....it was out of line of sight, but i know the building had something to do with messing it up....so that's the only issue i've had, and that was like over a year ago.....the groups are awesome (as you know, since the PW Plus III's have them), but the buttons are right on the back, so it's easy to click the groups on and off.....Also, little cool thing, is that each Phottix receiver comes with a SCREW LOCK pc sync to 1/8" cord, an 1/8" to 1/8" cord, AND both types of nikon remote shutter release cables.....so both the 10 pin connector, and the one for the D7000, D600, etc....the little small rectangle connector....which, from PW, those cables are like $30 each minimum.....

Another plus, the receivers screw right down on top of your umbrella adapters (or the top of your light stand, however you choose to do it), and you just set your flash on the hot shoe....so no cords involved. Makes setup and teardown a lot faster, as well as the fact that you don't have a PW swinging from a stupid little lanyard when you're moving light stands around....

Long story short, i sold a PW plus x, a Flex tt5, and a handful of PW plus II and Plus Receivers/Transmitters.....sold everything for like over $500 in total, and spent about $350 or so on 3 stratto II Transmitters, and 6 Receivers....currently they are $90 for a set of 2 (one TX, one RX), and $50 a piece for receivers.....They used to be a lot less on Amazon for some reason...

http://www.amazon.com/PHOTTIX-STRATO-MULTI-TRIGGER-CABLES/dp/B0056MPWZU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415664139&sr=1-2&keywords=phottix+strato+ii

But yeah, i would say pick up a $90 set, and if you hate em, send em back...but i've loved em so far....and the fact that you can throw a TTL flash on top of your camera, AND trigger your off camera flashes at the same time, with no cords or anything, is awesome.

Nov 10, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

NathanHamler wrote:
Yeah, i love the Phottix Stratto II's.....Phottix has "higher end" models, that transmit TTL, but they seem to have less channels...only 3 vs. 4.....I've only had one issue, where they wouldn't fire when i felt like it should have (based on range not being that far), BUT, i had an alien bee on a stand probably 150 ft away, around the back side of a big ole' metal building....it was out of line of sight, but i know the building had something to do with messing it up....so that's the only issue i've had, and that was like over a
...Show more

That sounds awesome! I'll check out the link in the morning when I get off work. The price for the whole package is a lot nicer compared to a comparable PW setup. The ability to add a flash on camera and ability to fire OCF is a nice bonus. Plus, no swinging PW from an umbrella stand icing on the proverbial cake!

Might just put my PWs up on Craigslist this weekend. Thanks for your help Nathan!

Nov 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM
steve807
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D750 and wireless off camera flash options?

I wish I was more photogenic.
I use SB600 and SB800. The 600 requires me to consult the manual for remote use. The 800 is much easier to set up.

Jun 27, 2020 at 01:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.