New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

ljay1129

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

I have a 5d mark 2 and I might think I would like to upgrade to 6D. Is it worth to upgrade?

I am just taking my twins photo and they are only 4 months now.

Any adivice?

Thanks!!

Nov 09, 2014 at 06:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

Hi L Jay,

Welcome to FM.

I replaced a 5DII with a 6D a couple of years ago. Bought a second 6D since then. I likes them.

You can find tons of information on this exact topic by using the 'search' link at the top of the screen, and setting the 'search year' to 2013, and then to 2012.

Nov 09, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

Hi L Jay,

Welcome to FM.

I replaced a 5DII with a 6D 10 month ago. Bought a second 6D since then (first one was stolen). I like it. Nobody ever tried or wanted to steel my 5D II within 4.5 years. I liked it, too. I just wanted better high ISO performance, No Banding at 6.400 and I got all this and much more for 40% off 5D IIs price. The only thing I am still missing is the joystick - CAN YOU LISTEN TO ME AGAIN CANON (?).

6D might not be the right camera to shoot your tweens high shool sports - here I would emphazise the upcomming 6D MK VI or 5D MK VIII or maybe a 100 FPS 7D IV or 1DX MK X ...

Edited on Nov 09, 2014 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2014 at 06:51 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

6d is quicker to operate, better IQ, more noticeable at higher ISO, it has better build but poorer ergonomics.

5d2 has pc synch and 1/8000th if you need them

Nov 09, 2014 at 06:53 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

ljay1129 wrote:
I have a 5d mark 2 and I might think I would like to upgrade to 6D. Is it worth to upgrade?

Any adivice?

Thanks!!

Unless you shoot a lot at night time; otherwise, I don't see you gain much on 6D from 5D2. Get a latest 3rd party N/R software then you will be fine. Save the cash to collect better lenses.

6D: http://www.flickr.com/search?text=6d&sort=relevance
5D2: http://www.flickr.com/search?text=5dmarkii&sort=relevance

Nov 09, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

I agree with mttran. If you already own a 5D2, there is little to gain with the 6D unless you mainly shooting in really low light. I still shoot with both cameras--leave different lenses mounted--and the files are nearly identical. However, the 6D kicks serious IQ arse at ISO 12800 compared to the 5D2 and can take more shadow lifting.

The 5D2 is built a little better, has more physical controls (joystick & FEC button) and is slightly more ergonomic. Albeit the 6D isn't much behind the 5D2 in those areas and boasts a killer center AF point for cave shooting.

Nov 09, 2014 at 09:14 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

IMO the 5d2 build is less solid than the 6d. Even with the full metal body.

I shot with a 5d2 for a few years, the change isnt too big but its worth it for me for high ISO.

Nov 09, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

Ideally try for a reasonably priced secondhand 6D. 5D Mark II's on the used market need to be in very good condition and priced to sell to be worth it. Many are a touch too expensive - that being said, if you find a lightly used 5D2 for a sharp price then jump on it.

Nov 09, 2014 at 09:32 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

The 6D is mostly an improvement but a drop in ergonomics and a 1/4000s max shutter instead of 1/8000s. I'd just stay with the 5D2 and upgrade next year when the new full frames come out. Or just sink money into glass. The 5D2 is still an excellent camera.

Nov 09, 2014 at 09:50 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

sb in ak wrote:
The 6D is mostly an improvement but a drop in ergonomics and a 1/4000s max shutter instead of 1/8000s. I'd just stay with the 5D2 and upgrade next year when the new full frames come out. Or just sink money into glass. The 5D2 is still an excellent camera.

+1, you don't want to constraint your shutter speed since it will limit your aperture diameter during WDR scenes.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM
ljay1129

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

Thanks for your comments guys. I am really appreciate it.

Nov 10, 2014 at 03:40 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

I was faced with this choice and decided not to. For me, I didn't see the benefits. Today, the used prices are very close to one another so the cash layout might not be that much.

Unless you live in a very dark house, I'd hang onto the 5d2 and look at getting a nice fast lens like the Siggy 35 or 50.

Nov 10, 2014 at 06:51 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

Both cameras share the same sensor basics, just the algorithms are optimized for better high ISO performance in the 6D. As others said, better to vest in glass than for this camera upgrade from 5D MkII to 6D.

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:48 AM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

the biggest improvement on the 6D is the sensor, everything else is minorly tweaked (AF, menus); and the biggest feature I loved was setting the zoom functionality to go straight to the AF point (although you can achieve the same thing with ML).

That said, unless you need good ISO performance past 3200 or better shadow performance at low iso without banding, there really won't be a huge difference between the two

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:49 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

ljay1129 wrote:

Any adivice?

Thanks!!

Unless there is some concrete issue that you are having when you use the 5DII to photograph the twins and you can point to a specific way in which the 6D would fix that issue...

... continue to use your 5DII. It is a fine camera that produces image quality essentially equal to that of the 6D.

Dan

Nov 10, 2014 at 09:52 AM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D vs 5D mark 2

I previously owned a pair 5D2s, had a 5D3 for a short time, and presently own two 6Ds (and a pair of 1D Mark IVs). I like the 6D for its affordability, excellent IQ, compact size, light weight, decent ergonomics (though I too miss the joystick), and extremely quiet shutter (especially in "silent" modes). There are some usability compromises, but none that can't be worked around (for example, I have my Set button programmed for FEC, which is missing from the standard control layout). I also like the instant 1x focus magnification which is helped by an excellent LCD. Believe it or not, I have successfully performed a quick and dirty micro focus adjust (with a rented lens that was clearly out) on the fly while shooting an event using this feature. There are some cameras (including my Mark IVs) where I probably couldn't have detected the slight misfocus just by reviewing the results on-camera.

However, I probably would not "upgrade" to the 6D for IQ or focusing reasons. I do find high ISO noise marginally improved (chiefly due to less banding and slightly tighter noise structure--meaning the 6D files take NR very well). The 6D center point AF is also perhaps marginally improved over the 5D2, especially in low light. Focus results are a bit more consistent with different lenses too.

However, the 5D2 is the better AI Servo camera I think, due to the presence of the "hidden" AF expansion points that can be activated in that mode. The 6D has no such "helper" points, and I find the results less good when focus tracking.

While the 5D2 is widely criticized for having poor AF, it is mostly the outer AF points that are lacking--I have made many successful BIF and sports images with the 5D2 using center AF point + expansion. The chief limitation of this body as an action camera is the framerate and mirror blackout times, IMHO.

But shooting moving kids with a classic center point focus / recompose technique is rather tedious sometimes, and not all photographers are willing to put up with this. Good wide-area AF makes capturing erratic action or composing off-center moving subjects much easier. If that's an issue for you, then the 6D is not appreciably better than a 5D2.

Nov 10, 2014 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.