Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7DMKII Real World Test

redman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7DMKII Real World Test

I shot a HS playoff game last night with the Canon 7DMKII. The field was a cave and it was a real workout/test for this camera. I think it performed well. The focus on this body is as good as any body that I've ever used (I'm coming form a Nikon D4s). The Anti Flicker feature is a game changer. These images aren't that exciting but I thought I would give a mixture of both jersey colors from various parts of this POORLY lit field. All images @ 10,000 iso @1/800 of second f2.8 with 400 f2.8 IS.

Edited on Nov 08, 2014 at 09:58 AM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2014 at 09:44 AM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7DMKII Real World Test

Next

Nov 08, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7DMKII Real World Test

Bob...the results of this camera are pretty noteworthy...especially for the conditions you mentioned. Was any type of image adjustments for color correction etc. done? This anti-flicker feature you mentioned...as I understand from what I've seen is to reduce the color changes from cycling lights...is that correct?

Man...I hope I can resist the temptation all of these 7D MKII posts. Like I need to go buy another camera...

Thanks for sharing
Frank

Nov 08, 2014 at 10:38 AM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7DMKII Real World Test

Frank Lauri wrote:
Bob...the results of this camera are pretty noteworthy...especially for the conditions you mentioned. Was any type of image adjustments for color correction etc. done? This anti-flicker feature you mentioned...as I understand from what I've seen is to reduce the color changes from cycling lights...is that correct?

Man...I hope I can resist the temptation all of these 7D MKII posts. Like I need to go buy another camera...

Thanks for sharing
Frank

Hello Frank..

I converted these in DPP4. I don't know enough about the software yet to do much so I just let the stock adjustments rock and converted to JPG for the post. I'm really impressed with this camera especially since it is a crop body. The focusing is as good as my Nikon D4s.

The Anti Flicker is a beast! It cuts out the nasty color shifts from the old vapor lighting that is still prevalent in most small HS stadiums. It works on 9-10 images (90%) in a burst which is miraculous. I see this as a huge improvement that will be added to the next 1D series bodies.

Thanks!

Bob

Nov 08, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7DMKII Real World Test

7D2 looks like a game changer. ISO 10,000 looks clean and I'm impressed that you can see faces under the helmets considering the poorly lit field.

Nov 08, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7DMKII Real World Test

I picked one up this week too... Post processing both daylight soccer & night football as we speak... The anti-flicker is very cool!! You get a little flicker warning in the viewfinder.... The camera automatically induces a small amount of shutter lag to take the photo when light is at it's peak... Pretty pleased with the two outings I've had this week... Going from the full frame of the 5D3 & the "X" to the crop of the 7d is proving to take some getting used to...

Nov 08, 2014 at 01:09 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7DMKII Real World Test

These look pretty darn good. I assume your conversion included some noise management, having shot these at 10k ISO. I haven't pulled the trigger just yet to order one... but... coming... closer...

I like the idea of having my 7D as my second body vs my 20D as my current second body.

bb

Nov 08, 2014 at 05:28 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7DMKII Real World Test

Here are a couple I shot with my 7d2. The two football are at ISO 8k with a 600ex RT at -2/3. Other than a slight crop and downsize, they are straight off the card. The soccer shot was cropped & re-sized, otherwise, straight off the card. Two were shot with a 400 2.8 VII non IS. One of the football (the one with the red-eyes) was with a 70-200 IS II, with on-camera 600 exRT. Overall, I'm pleased. I wouldn't say the 7D2 is a mini "X"; I'd call it a crop 5d3 w/ a higher frame rate...

© Ralph Thompson 2014

© Ralph Thompson 2014

© Ralph Thompson 2014

Nov 09, 2014 at 01:08 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7DMKII Real World Test

What are your AF settings at? The "case" 1,2,3,etc and other focus specific changes.

We just got a 7DmkII and a 70-200 IS vII and I am not impressed. My 10 y/o 1DmkIIn has better focusing results than the 7dmkII with that same lens.

Sep 05, 2015 at 10:03 PM
howardF
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7DMKII Real World Test

Some great action photos.

Sep 06, 2015 at 11:14 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.