Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

theobags

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

Hi guys,

I really want to buy a "good" camera so that I can make better videos, I've been looking around for quite some time but I only got more confused..

My budget is $600 (€500), please do not suggest more expensive combos cause I'm over my budget already :/

The last ones I've considered are the Nikon d3300 or d5200, Canon 600d or 700d, plus a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens (suggested to me from Brandon Lee).

I'm open to consider any other camera as long as it is within the budget including the prime lens ($125).

Once again, it's mostly for videos.

Thanks!

PS: Is there a more appropriate section instead of Canon only?

Nov 08, 2014 at 07:04 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

The Canon SL1 is very nice for video, with the touch screen auto focus. If you don't mind buying used, there are some very nice deals on a 7D original, that is also very good for video.

My son does video professionally. He started with a T2I and a Tamron 17-50 VC lens and produced some great work.

Steve

Edited on Nov 08, 2014 at 07:29 AM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2014 at 07:21 AM
theobags

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

Sjjindra wrote:
The Canon SL1 is very nice for video, with the touch screen auto focus. If you don't mind buying used, there are some very nice deals on a 7D original, that is also very good for video.
Steve

I actually mind buying used because I'm a newbie and I probably wouldn't understand if there's something wrong.

For the SL1, do you think it's better than a 600d (Rebel T3i) or 700d (Rebel T5i)?

Nov 08, 2014 at 07:28 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

I would recommend a Canon T4i at a minimum. The T4i got the very good autofocus from the 60D, and it was the first to include a better Live View autofocus system. That allowed me to stop using a camcorder for "lower end" stuff.

So that means the T4i, T5i, SL1, or the 70D which is out of your budget.That would actually be my first choice otherwise because of the dual pixel autofocus.

One very affordable small option that might get overlooked is the Canon EOS M. It is a mirrorless with an Excellent 22mm 2.0 and a Very Good+ 18-55 IS. You can buy the whole kit plus an adapter for regular size Canon EF lenses for about $400.

Thete is a video here that will show the set-up of the EOS M for video:

http://www.slrlounge.com/canons-eos-m-low-budget-high-quality-video-solution/

The biggest advantage for Canon for you is the ability to add Magic Lantern software. That is probably the best reason to go for Canon at the start.

If you cant find them new, I would suggest buying used here at a good price from someone who has A LOT of feedback who is also willing to guarantee that everything is working correctly.

Different sellers are better or worse at communication. Send them a PM and see if you get a full response, or just a fragment of a sentence as an answer. Let them know that you would like a little help at the beginning.

You might also want to look at dvxuser.com A lot of useful info there.

Good luck!

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

theobags wrote:
I actually mind buying used because I'm a newbie and I probably wouldn't understand if there's something wrong.

For the SL1, do you think it's better than a 600d (Rebel T3i) or 700d (Rebel T5i)?

The SL1 touch screen for pulls and focus selection coupled with Movie Servo blows away the 600D/T3i for video use. I believe the 700D/T5i has these same video AF features as the SL1 but with a larger body and articulating screen. I can say when my wife tried my SL1 she abandon her 60D in a heartbeat and stole my camera. Video focus is a major major improvement over earlier designs. Only 70D Movie Servo slightly best it (well probably 7D MKII but no touch to pull).

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:25 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

I would suggest you learn enough to differentiate a bad or good used product
you will have to learn enough about cameras to operate them anyways, this is just learning pre-purchase.

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

The 50mm 1.8 is awful for video, in my experience. You need to be on a tripod, outdoors. For closeups it works nicely though, like headshots. I use the D5200, and by far my favourite video lens is the Sigma 12-24 DGII. Any 10-20, 11-16, or 12-24 lens would be ideal though. You can probably find a used wideangle for around $300-$400, and a used D5100, D3200, T2i, or whatever for $200-$300.

Nov 08, 2014 at 01:08 PM
theobags

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

mmurph wrote:
I would recommend a Canon T4i at a minimum. The T4i got the very good autofocus from the 60D, and it was the first to include a better Live View autofocus system. That allowed me to stop using a camcorder for "lower end" stuff.

So that means the T4i, T5i, SL1, or the 70D which is out of your budget.That would actually be my first choice otherwise because of the dual pixel autofocus.

One very affordable small option that might get overlooked is the Canon EOS M. It is a mirrorless with an Excellent 22mm 2.0 and a Very Good+ 18-55
...Show more

Thanks! If the T5i is still one of the suggested i think i'd go with that, but I wonder, you can't suggest me a Nikon or any other brand because we're on the Canon section or cause they aren't better?
---------------------------------------------

Gochugogi wrote:
The SL1 touch screen for pulls and focus selection coupled with Movie Servo blows away the 600D/T3i for video use. I believe the 700D/T5i has these same video AF features as the SL1 but with a larger body and articulating screen. I can say when my wife tried my SL1 she abandon her 60D in a heartbeat and stole my camera. Video focus is a major major improvement over earlier designs. Only 70D Movie Servo slightly best it (well probably 7D MKII but no touch to pull).

Yes the 700D/T5i has continuous autofocus while recording as the SL1 and a flip-out screen, plus it has 9 cross-type focus points vs 1 on the SL1 (which I don't know if I need in videos)..

Can anyone tell me if the "Lower noise at high ISO" is important in videos too cause the Nikon cameras seem to have much better numbers.
---------------------------------------------

kabraxcis wrote:
I would suggest you learn enough to differentiate a bad or good used product
you will have to learn enough about cameras to operate them anyways, this is just learning pre-purchase.

Yeah but how can I differentiate it from a perfectly good one if I haven't tried any yet?

Nov 08, 2014 at 01:13 PM
theobags

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best entry-level DSLR for video?

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
The 50mm 1.8 is awful for video, in my experience. You need to be on a tripod, outdoors. For closeups it works nicely though, like headshots. I use the D5200, and by far my favourite video lens is the Sigma 12-24 DGII. Any 10-20, 11-16, or 12-24 lens would be ideal though. You can probably find a used wideangle for around $300-$400, and a used D5100, D3200, T2i, or whatever for $200-$300.

Hm, that lens was suggested to me from a guy who is a camera man, I know I need a tripod cause it doesn't have IS but it should be better for low light situations (if I understood right).

As I wrote before I'm really not sure about buying used stuff cause there might be small or big problems which I'd notice too late (if ever), at least for cameras, but I've no problems in buying used lenses.

Nov 08, 2014 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.