Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

I just came back from an overseas event and had some trouble with my camera.
The thing would basicaly lock up and require the batteries to be removed where it would re set and got for a few frames to a few hundred before doing it again.

I thought it was the shutter falling over then I thought it was the grip but finally worked out it was the batteries. Unless they were FULLY charged going by the charger cutting off, they were causing the camera to go Skitz. Obviously the voltage is OK but the amperage has died.

So I have ordered some cheap Chinese batteries to replace the not quite 3 yo originals that came with the camera. Original batts $89, Chinese Cheapies Under $11 ea delivered.

I remember years ago that the forum opinion was that of the campera company line that anything aftermarlket was sure and certain death for any cam they came within 10 feet of let alone used in.
Unfortunately for this train of thought, I have used the Whoflungdung 1/10th the cost cheapies in every digi SLR I have owned and not had a problem..... except for the OEM batts.

The last ones I got a couple of weeks after buying my new bodies. I got 8 instead of 4 of the things that I ordered and in doing the honest thing for once and noitifying the seller, they said thanks, keep them. Cool. One died pretty quickly, like in a couple of months. The other 7 however lasted the life of the cameras. Probably beyond because the batts were still fine although had lost a smidgeon of capacity but when the bodies threw their 3rd shutters, I threw them in the kids toy box.

Those batteries always outlasted the originals in use and the OEM batteries were stuffed completely in 2 years but the cheapies were still going 4+ years later. The whoflung dung sells were exactly 1/10th the price of the OEM jobs at the cheapest place I could find them.

My new China cheapies are on their way as I speak but I'm just wondering what the present day ideas people have about these replacement batteries?

Do people still stringently stick to the OEM ones, do other people use the cheapies and what are the problems people have had with either one?

I have also just ordered a new battery for my laptop which has lost a lot of capacity even though its only 2 years old. Just. $23 Vs $132 and the cheapie is rated at a higher capacity. May just be telling people what they want to read but the non original camera batteries were a lot better than the originals as well so I'll take a chance.

My experience with the cheapies has been more than good enough for me.

Nov 07, 2014 at 05:47 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

There IS no consensus. This is the internet. We don't do consensus.

However I do note that B&H very often offers an aftermarket battery as a party favor when you buy a new body. I don't know, maybe people put it in the garbage. (Responsibly, of course).

Nov 07, 2014 at 08:12 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

MalbikEndar wrote:
There IS no consensus. This is the internet. We don't do consensus.

However I do note that B&H very often offers an aftermarket battery as a party favor when you buy a new body. I don't know, maybe people put it in the garbage. (Responsibly, of course).

Yes, I drop it (third party) off at the battery recycling bin.

Nov 07, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

cheap 3rd party batteries are like playing Roulette in reverse . you place your money on the table and hope your number DONT come up if you stick to genuine batteries and something goes wrong then you have some comeback . if you don't then you have nothing . and when modern Lith Ion cells go wrong its not pretty

ok thats a bit of a sweeping generalisation but i certainly wouldn't consider no name brand chinese options

Nov 07, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

I have had good luck with non-chipped and chipped 3rd party batteries, but my experience is admittedly limited. When I ordered 2 batteries for $12, I really did not care when one of them would not take a charge since it was still a great deal. The other one is still going strong.

There is the whole chipped battery camera recognition thing, but I am not that particular, I just want the thing to power up and work properly.

Paul

Nov 07, 2014 at 01:56 PM
dustin curley
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Consensus On aftermarket Batteries.

I've had good luck with Sterlingtek for years

Nov 08, 2014 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.