New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Untamed

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Hello All!

I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to join as I've been throwing around the idea of buying a new body for a couple months now. As my signature shows I have a D90 with a few lenses. I primarily shoot my 6 and 4 year olds sporting events (baseball and football) as well as your everyday portrait of the kids. For the past couple months I've had the itch to just want to buy a new camera body as I've been playing with the same D90 since 2008. My dilemma here is really justifying the need for a new camera.. I'm considering either the D610 or the D750 (leaning more towards the 750 for the ISO). In all honesty if there is nothing wrong with my D90 would jumping to a D750 really be a step up in my photography or will I just be wasting money since this is all a hobby for me? The only thing I've made my mind up about is if I do not buy a new body I'll just end up getting the Nikkor 85mm.

I've done my research but just want to see what you guys think.

Current set up:
D90
Nikon 17-55mm
Nikon 70-200mm VRii
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Nikon 18-200mm

Nov 06, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Having the D750 with the 70-200 and the D90 with the 17-55 would be a pretty solid two body set-up. You'll still notice a huge improvement with the D610 though, and save $500+. I think either one will make you happy, with the D750 being better (but maybe overkill) and the D610 being less expensive (but still a big step-up).

Just my opinion though.

Nov 06, 2014 at 12:51 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

A new camera body won't necessarily make you a better photographer, but it will be a tool that can help you become a better photographer. It can also be a motivator for you to enjoy photography more and learn more. You will be freed from the "If only..." mindset. Still, improving photography is like any hobby, it takes work and study to become better than an entry level picture taker.

On the other hand, a D90 is fairly forgiving, you will have to up your game a little more with a higher resolution body IMO.

Nov 06, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Untamed

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Thank you guys for the quick replies. Do you guys ever feel as if your pictures are just normal yet when other see them they are really impressed? I tend to think my pictures are nothing special and I feel it's because I'm not as motivated as I use to be.. I figured buying a new body will sure help me with that... lol So would you say in low light the 610 and the 750 will perform some what similar? I've noticed with my 90 if the lights aren't on indoors and it's starting to get dark outside I have to use the SB-600 to get a clear picture . This is something I'm trying to steer away from now as well since I have a 2 months old son . As you guys can see, i'm all over the place here.. lol.

Nov 06, 2014 at 01:24 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Untamed wrote:
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Do you guys ever feel as if your pictures are just normal yet when other see them they are really impressed? I tend to think my pictures are nothing special and I feel it's because I'm not as motivated as I use to be.. I figured buying a new body will sure help me with that... lol So would you say in low light the 610 and the 750 will perform some what similar? I've noticed with my 90 if the lights aren't on indoors and it's starting to get dark outside I
...Show more

Buying a new body can certainly be a motivator, but you have to beware of the trap of what happens after the first couple of months and that body isn't as new anymore. Are you still going to feel the same motivation. Take a look at what's causing the lack of motivation as well, if it's just gear, or if there is something else going on. Perhaps try other types of photography, see if something else might renew an interest, get involved with other photographers, or even some short seminars. Doing things on your own all the time can make things a little boring too. Being a new dad makes it a little hard to do that, but even a day a week can make a difference for everyone involved.

Nov 06, 2014 at 01:54 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

If/when you jump to FX I'm assuming you'd want a normal zoom (24-85mm or 24-70/2.8) and/or extra reach (300/4) so keep those potential additional costs in mind.

You thinking of the 85 1.8 or the 1.4 ?

Would a D300 or D7100 satisfy your itch for a camera new to you ?
D300 should have much better tracking than D90 for when your kids sports get quicker and the D7100 should have better tracking and extra megapixels.

Nov 06, 2014 at 01:57 PM
Untamed

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Thank you Scott for the advise. Although shooting my kids sports is entertaining for me I guess it's just more of the equipment. You are right though, I'm sure at first things will be exciting getting to take out the new camera and shoot but just like with everything else that'll get old... Great idea on the seminars, I think that's something I really need to look into.. A this time all I shoot , go home load them up on Lightroom, add some vignietting (spell check) add a bit of luminance, and beef up the colors a bit and done. I'm going to try and be more involved on here, maybe posting some of my shots and getting critique will

Nov 06, 2014 at 02:22 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

I dunno,
I never get tired of ordering new equipment. Or motorcycles, or Jeeps...

I may just order a D810 today..

Nov 06, 2014 at 02:30 PM
Untamed

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Neoshazam If I jump to FX I plan on selling my D90, 18-200, 17-55, and 50mm and SB-600 and using the money from that to purchase a 24-70/2.8 and sb-900. I know there will be some out of pocket cost but it wont be as big as if I was starting from scratch.

If I decide to stick to the D90 I'll be getting the 85 1.8

Regarding the D300 and D7100.. Not really wanting to stick to DX.. I want to make sure if I spend money that I'm spending it on something that can grow with me.

Nov 06, 2014 at 03:26 PM
Untamed

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

ckcarr wrote:
I dunno,
I never get tired of ordering new equipment. Or motorcycles, or Jeeps...

I may just order a D810 today..

You see that's my problem.. When I get something in my head it's hard to convince myself not to do it and right now my head is telling me "go buy a new Camera"

Nov 06, 2014 at 03:28 PM
groob
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

I personally think you'll see a big difference in every aspect: IQ, high ISO file quality, AF. You'd get double the resolution on a much better sensor. You'll have less DoF with FX, which I like. The D7000's IQ was much better than the D90's 4 years ago and this sensor is another generation newer than the D7000's. If you get the 24-70, that'll be a nice improvement in IQ over your other lenses too. I personally think the gains in IQ, high ISO quality, and AF makes it a no-brainer especially if you sell everything and get a 24-70.

Nov 06, 2014 at 04:13 PM
Untamed

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

groob wrote:
I personally think you'll see a big difference in every aspect: IQ, high ISO file quality, AF. You'd get double the resolution on a much better sensor. You'll have less DoF with FX, which I like. The D7000's IQ was much better than the D90's 4 years ago and this sensor is another generation newer than the D7000's. If you get the 24-70, that'll be a nice improvement in IQ over your other lenses too. I personally think the gains in IQ, high ISO quality, and AF makes it a no-brainer especially if you sell everything and get a 24-70.

So would you say go for the D610 or just spend the extra $500 and get the D750? Once issue I have right now is when I take pictures of my newborn inside the house I get frustrated when the IQ of my portraits aren't as sharp as they would be if I had more light.

Nov 06, 2014 at 04:23 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

What groob said,

the D300 offers nothing over your D90 except AF and that is just minor. My girlfriend uses a D90 and I used to have the D300 as my main camera until this summer. Bought a D3 to keep file size down but still have all the benefits of a 24x36mm image sensor.

If I had to make your choice today I would buy the D750, 24-70 f2,8 and an SB 700 instead of SB 900. Keep the 50mm though.

Nov 06, 2014 at 04:30 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

I'd still buy the new equipment though...the 750 will be a nice upgrade, the extra $500 will be worth the money over time. I'd agree in getting the SB 700 over the 910 though...probably better for the use you'll get out of it, but I think the SB 600 would still serve you well for now, could even look at the used SB800...better output than what you have, and not as big as the 910

Nov 06, 2014 at 04:50 PM
groob
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

I completely agree with Solitaire. I'd get the D750, 24-70, and an SB-700. I personally think the AF of the D750 is worth the extra $500.

Nov 06, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

neoshazam wrote:
You thinking of the 85 1.8 or the 1.4 ?

… or the 3.5 (DX macro) or the 2.8 PC-E?

C

Nov 06, 2014 at 05:32 PM
Untamed

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

groob wrote:
I completely agree with Solitaire. I'd get the D750, 24-70, and an SB-700. I personally think the AF of the D750 is worth the extra $500.

That's what I'm thinking also, I always seem to find myself upset that the picture I loved the most is the one out of focus.

Looks like it's time to break the news to the wife.

Nov 06, 2014 at 05:33 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

I'd suggest the D7100 rather than the D750.

With the D7100 your lenses will continue to work well aside from the 18-200 (which just isn't up to 16+MP), it's much less out of pocket as well.

You give up some buffer over the D750, but gain a fair bit of reach. Remember the D750 has slightly larger pixels than your current D90, so even though you gain in the overall pixel count you actually lose a minor amount of reach. The D7100 however has the pixel count of the D750 with the sensor size of the D90, so you're gaining reach. You're also getting a very similar AF system to the D750, but also gain AF area coverage, which is much larger than either the D750 or D90 in DX mode and essentially covers the full frame in the D7100's 1.3x 16MP crop mode (which is also 7fps, faster than either the D90 or D750).

IQ on the D7100 is notably better than the D90, although not as good as the D750.

And best of all, you can probably pay for 40% of it by selling the 18-200. It's less than half the cost of the D750. A D300 can be had for under $500 on the used market.

Quite frankly, for someone whose primary lens is a telephoto, there's very significant advantages for choosing DX over FX. Unless you need the high ISO performance of FX (ie shoot regularly above ISO1600), the extra reach of DX and higher AF frame coverage can seriously outweigh the 1 or so stop advantage of the FX sensor in IQ.

If you do go for the D750, remember that if you are regularly shooting at 200mm with your 70-200 on the D90 you'll want to budget for a 1.4x TC to match that reach on the D750. At which point you're giving up the 1 stop IQ advantage of FX (the 1.4x TC costs you a stop of speed to gain the reach you lose from moving to FX).

Nov 06, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

Untamed wrote:
Neoshazam If I jump to FX I plan on selling my D90, 18-200, 17-55, and 50mm and SB-600 and using the money from that to purchase a 24-70/2.8 and sb-900. I know there will be some out of pocket cost but it wont be as big as if I was starting from scratch.

If I decide to stick to the D90 I'll be getting the 85 1.8

Regarding the D300 and D7100.. Not really wanting to stick to DX.. I want to make sure if I spend money that I'm spending it on something that can grow with me.

For the past year & half I've been using D7100 & Nikon lenses 17-55mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VR, 80-400mm AFS. For the past several weeks I've been using a D800E with lenses 24mm PC-E, Sigma 35mm f1.4, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 85mm f1.8, Nikon 80-400mm AFS. I have some thoughts. First is that the AF system on the D7100 actually seems faster and better in low light conditions. The D7100 actually focuses by moonlight. The AF system is where the D600/610 is weakest and obviously less competent than either D800E or D7100. With the D800E I think I've picked up about a stop & half on the ISO. The shots were pretty clean on the D7100 up to about ISO 2000, and certainly usuable up to ISO 3200. Not much gain there for me.

I've been shooting weddings with the D7100, f2.8 Nikon zooms, and a pair of SB-900. It's a very high quality system. I don't plan on using the D800E and single focal lenses for weddings as I know I'd be missing shots while changing lenses, which is frustrating to me. There are some things you might keep in mind. The first is that no one, and I mean no one, will be able to tell you are using an FX camera rather than a DX. There just isn't that much difference. Second thing is those f2.8 zooms are quite heavy and bulky, and after awhile become a big pain in the ass. Third thing is you will miss the extended reach you would have had from a D7100, for sports. All in all, I would find it hard to justify spending thousands $$ for an FX system for what you are needing. You just won't see a difference unless you routinely shoot above ISO 3200. Why did I pick up a D800E? What I'm after is the ability to make enlargements bigger than 20x30 in., something I'm doing more & more as I sell portraits and architectural/landscape shots. That's the one thing a 36mp camera can do noticeably better for me than the D7100, along with no clearance issues on the 24mm PC-E lens.

As for a camera making me a better photographer, ! My ability and creativity does NOT come from gear. Art comes from the mind and vision of an artist, not gear. I'm just as inspired with a Kodak Brownie made in 1902 or a Leica IIIc made in 1942 as I am with anything currently in production. Once you come to understand you can make compelling images with ANY camera you are handed it's very liberating! I honestly doubt a change from DX to FX will make any difference at all for you. One thing that will have a noticeable effect on your portraits is a solid but simple lighting system, such as a couple of Alien Bees monolights, battery pack, lightstands, and modifiers. For portraits, lighting is the key, certainly not a camera.

Again, for what you are wanting to do, the D7100 is the obvious choice. And then wait to see if Nikon answers the Canon 7D-ii, which would be KILLER!

Kent in SD

HS Soccer shot with D7100, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR

Nov 06, 2014 at 07:27 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Decisions Decisions Decisions - New Gear

mawz wrote:
If you do go for the D750, remember that if you are regularly shooting at 200mm with your 70-200 on the D90 you'll want to budget for a 1.4x TC to match that reach on the D750. At which point you're giving up the 1 stop IQ advantage of FX (the 1.4x TC costs you a stop of speed to gain the reach you lose from moving to FX).

Exactly what I found. The advantage in one & half stops ISO is quickly eaten up by the loss of telephoto reach. You would have to buy a 300mm f2.8 lens (such as Sigma 120-300mm f2.8) to regain it, and those are NOT cheap! The amount of money you will end up spending here is just not worth what little (if any) gain you'll see from it. THe value for the money just isn't there.

Kent in SD

Nov 06, 2014 at 07:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.