New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

RonR2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

Seeing a number of Bald Eagle photo's that have the white head looking like they dipped in paint or are made of plastic.
My question, how to prevent that from happening?
Will not point out the photo taker's by name, because in my opinion the other colors are very real looking and are wall hangers with exception of the white heads.

Nov 06, 2014 at 08:30 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

My guess is that the problem is your monitor. I have not seen anything like you describe lately.

Nov 06, 2014 at 09:03 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

Without seeing an actual image, a couple of possibilities are blown out (over exposed) whites/highlights, and overly aggressive noise reduction, perhaps in conjunction with heavy cropping.

Over exposing the whites will cause loss of head feather detail, making it look like a smooth, white head. Noise reduction is a destructive process, so using it too much can cause loss of fine detail. Cropping heavily exacerbates noise in the image, and it can be easy to overdo the NR in an effort to "clean up" noise, thus causing even further loss of detail.

Nov 06, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

Can you be a bit more vague

What problem do you have posting a link to said photos? You are allowed to express your opinions.

Nov 06, 2014 at 10:11 PM
RonR2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

mitesh wrote:
Without seeing an actual image, a couple of possibilities are blown out (over exposed) whites/highlights, and overly aggressive noise reduction, perhaps in conjunction with heavy cropping.

Over exposing the whites will cause loss of head feather detail, making it look like a smooth, white head. Noise reduction is a destructive process, so using it too much can cause loss of fine detail. Cropping heavily exacerbates noise in the image, and it can be easy to overdo the NR in an effort to "clean up" noise, thus causing even further loss of detail.

Thank you for your reply it answers my question, now I can work on the problem.

Nov 07, 2014 at 08:08 AM
RonR2
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bald Eagles with plastic looking heads

Imagemaster wrote:
Can you be a bit more vague

What problem do you have posting a link to said photos? You are allowed to express your opinions.

Thank you for your opinion.
By the way I enjoy seeing your photo's, your comments not so much.

Nov 07, 2014 at 08:14 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.