Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

For those of you who have a 1DX...if you are like me...you might be continually looking at ways to make the camera perform better and tweak settings here and there. I'm always reading the various guides, the manual, hit up Canon Learning for the tutorials, Youtube and also older posts on FM to access this information.

I may have overlooked this setting when I initially bought the camera and that is so easy to do with all of the various screens.

So I was looking at the manual plus an older post by Ralph Thompson that made a light bulb go on.

So after reading Ralph's post and referencing the manual......on P-98 there is a section on "Lens drive when AF impossible... It says that; If focus cannot be achieved with autofocus, you can have the camera keep searching for the correct focus or have it stop searching. And the selections on the camera are ON or OFF.

Then in the grey box at the bottom of the page is says; Super telephoto lenses can become grossly out of focus during continuous focus search, taking more time to achieve focus the next time. Therefore setting (Stop Focus Search) is recommended for super telephoto lenses.

Reading this made me think a bit and it did apply to me a little. So that afternoon I was shooting a field hockey championship and figured I'd switch it OFF for the first 10 minutes and see what the results were.

Well that was last week and it is still off today. The change was that significant. Some of the things I was seeing was the lens would "hunt" to lock focus on a subject. This stopped since I made the change. Also...my night keeper rate seems to have increased more.

I'm still in the testing mode with this but I do like what I'm seeing in the results.

So I just thought I'd share this in case someone else might benefit.

Frank

Nov 06, 2014 at 06:13 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank,

Thanks for sharing this little tidbit. I'll try it tomorrow night shooting HS football and also with the upcoming volleyball sectionals and championships.

Nov 06, 2014 at 06:15 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Ah, retirement. A little time on your hands, Frank? (cue music for: jealousy)

I thought I recalled reading about this a while back. Checked my settings and I do have this set to Off. Damn, I wouldn't have minded a boost in AF success rate.

Pretty cool that you noticed a difference. Makes sense.

Speaking of equipment features, the question of whether or not to pay the extra $ for image stabilization seems to be a common topic among sports shooters, but last night, and every now and then, I find myself in a situation where the light is bad and I'm pressed for time and my subject isn't really moving. I have to say that turning on the IS with the 70-200 f/2.8 II is an almost miraculous experience. Do you ever find yourself using this on either your 70-200 or longer glass? (Of course the real challenge is remembering to turn it OFF when getting back to shooting action.)

Nov 06, 2014 at 06:30 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Russ, Your comment implies that having it set to "off" for action w/ superteles is a bad thing. Yet Frank's comment indicated have it set to Off or "stop focus search" is the correct setting for action w/super teles. Something's amiss.

BTW - will you be shooting Utah gymnastics?

Nov 06, 2014 at 07:37 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Vancouver47 wrote:
Russ, Your comment implies that having it set to "off" for action w/ superteles is a bad thing. Yet Frank's comment indicated have it set to Off or "stop focus search" is the correct setting for action w/super teles. Something's amiss.

BTW - will you be shooting Utah gymnastics?

Well, there's a very good chance I'm confused. What I thought I said is that I already have my settings set the way Frank is suggesting, meaning that I have no hope for improvement based on settings! Sort of tounge-in-cheek because it would be kind of ridiculous to complain about the performance of the 1Dx. But it would be nice if the flip of a switch could result in a few more sharp images.

I don't yet know about gymnastics. I'm planning to contact the SID soon, and I'm hopeful the big bucks Utah is getting from Pac-12 TV contracts will trickle down to some gymnastics coverage. Last year this was cut from 6 to 3 meets. Fingers crossed. (Thanks for asking.)

Nov 06, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Jerry....let us know how you make out.

Russ...my new motto is every day is a Saturday.... Yep...luvin the retirement gig. I just can't believe how fast my days go by. Work NEVER went that fast...

I can't speak for other serious camera owners...but with all the possible settings of the 1DX...I constantly try to see if there is more I can get fro the camera. It might be frustrating to some...but I find it interesting because I really learn and understand those features of the camera. Guess some could call it a "gluten for punishment".

Russ the manual indicated this setting for super telephoto lenses....but do you keep it off for all lenses?

Regarding your IS question...I don't but a lens specifically for the IS. In fact I rarely use it. But the scenario you gave...I find myself doing the same thing. A candid cheerleader shot...a coach shot....candid player or fan shots etc. So far I've only done this with my longer glass but now that you mention the 70-200...that is usually hanging off my right shoulder on the 5D Mark III and I'll have to give it s whirl tonight during some HS Football Playoffs.

Frank

Nov 07, 2014 at 07:11 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank,
I've been running with it set to off. The note refers to "super telephotos." Any idea when they get super? (Over $5K <snark>?) I'm guessing this isn't really applicable to say the 70-200 f/2.8. Anyone with a thought on this?

Robert

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

OntheRez wrote:
The note refers to "super telephotos." Any idea when they get super? I'm guessing this isn't really applicable to say the 70-200 f/2.8. Anyone with a thought on this?

The mass of the moving elements, and the degree of rotation between MFD and infinity, are why I think the superteles benefit from the switch, whereas other lighter element group lenses with less helical movement do not. It takes more time to move heavy elements, and longer distances of rotation add to the time lost finding focus again. The switch prevents the camera getting completely lost, when you know where the subject is, and can touch focus again to get it back without the lens having to grind through 100 degrees of helix to get back to where you left it.

I just opened my bag to check before posting this, so these are my own ball park "clock" estimates of "crank angle" between MFD and infinity that I found on my equipment, not official specs from Canon:

- 70-200/2.8 II is 110 degrees
- 200/1.8 is 180 degrees
- 300/2.8 is 240 degrees
- 400/2.8 is 270 degrees

Unlike the other lenses, the 200/1.8 needs power from a camera in order to check, and it is best to set the focus switch to manual if the battery is weak. Ask me how I know!

I don't own a 5, 6, or 8 so I can't give you any idea how much twist of the wrist it takes to crank those elements around through their focus range, but I imagine those longer teles would also fall somewhere between 200 to 300 degrees.

Math has never been my strong suit, but I think element diameter plays a role here somewhere, in terms of the energy and time it takes to crank the elements back and forth inside the tube.

I think Canon considers "SuperTelephoto" primes to be the white 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, & 12. At least that is how they have been arranged on their rebate forms and sales literature over the years. Except the 12 of course. That was special order.

Contrast this to some of the smaller, shorter black primes, with as little as 40 degrees of rotation lock to lock.

Nov 10, 2014 at 01:25 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank, you're my hero...though whether I'll buy you a beer will have to wait until I try this out this coming weekend.

And, yes, it seems this setting defaults to "On" in my MkIV and 5D3.

Nov 11, 2014 at 02:42 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Robert....I was thinking 300 or 400 up but Focus gave some detailed info that I'll have to decipher.

Dennis...it's been so long that I've used my MKIV that I didn't even think of checking it. I'll have to check it out and take it for a spin this weekend.

Frank

Nov 11, 2014 at 03:40 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank Lauri wrote:
Dennis...it's been so long that I've used my MKIV that I didn't even think of checking it.

Frank

Oh, Frank, now you're bragging. My MkIV is my main camera

Nov 11, 2014 at 06:06 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Russ Isabella wrote:
Speaking of equipment features, the question of whether or not to pay the extra $ for image stabilization seems to be a common topic among sports shooters, but last night, and every now and then, I find myself in a situation where the light is bad and I'm pressed for time and my subject isn't really moving. I have to say that turning on the IS with the 70-200 f/2.8 II is an almost miraculous experience. Do you ever find yourself using this on either your 70-200 or longer glass? (Of course the real challenge is remembering to turn
...Show more

If you have one of the Mark II super-telephotos, you might want to give IS mode 3 a go. Possible you don't have to remember to turn it on/off like that...

Nov 12, 2014 at 07:20 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank,
If I'm following your logic properly - and it makes sense - the 70-200 would likely be a borderline case. I'm just going in to BBK season and I have to shoot with fast primes (~f/1.8 - 2.4) because the light's so bad thus I won't be able to test the setting on sports till spring. I can go out and try to chase some red tails around, though they really aren't a test of the need for fast focus switching. Got to think on this for a bit.

Robert

Nov 12, 2014 at 01:36 PM
Buckeye1
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Hey Vancouver, if I read this correctly, Frank is talking about the focus setting in the camera and Russ is talking about the IS on the lens. Two different issues.

Side note - you turn off the IS because the camera is mounted on a monopod or tripod, do no need for IS. Am I correct? I am learning to shoot sport, so the info here is great!

Nov 12, 2014 at 04:13 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Robert....since I turned it off last week...I haven't turned it back on and I've used a Canon 24-105mm and Canon 15mm fisheye on it and haven't noticed any decrease in performance or quality in the images. For me it's been a good find.

Frank

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Frank,
When I purchased my 400mm 2.8 Vll a while back I was noticing inconsistencies between my older IS 400mm version and the new one, where my older 400mm was more consistent on acquiring quick and accurate AF and locking on and where the newer 400mm was acquiring AF quickly too it would not lock and wonder a tad. So I called Canon and was about to send my new Vll 400mm in for calibration when I learned about this setting you mentioned.....It was World of Difference with it off! Also like you noted I don't see any loss in AF with my shorter zooms so this setting on Dx stays in the off position now.

Andy

Dec 03, 2014 at 01:39 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

ifxbonz wrote:
...where the newer 400mm was acquiring AF quickly too it would not lock and wonder a tad...

Andy

Can I please jump in and ask a question? I'm a bit confused and hope someone can clarifyou my understanding of tin AF Focus Search setting. My understanding was that setting it to On was that when compared to Off, IF auto focus didn't lock in (maximize sharpness), it would expand the range (of twist) so that the additional travel would accomplish / complete better Focus.

So, what does the quote mean above- aquiring focus but it would not lock? If focus is acquired what does lock mean?
What advantage or when would you want the use the On setting?

Guy

Dec 06, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Guy...the best way I can explain it....when the focus can't be acquired....it appears to "hunt" for the subject to lock on to...almost like it pulsates for a lack of better words. When focus locks...than that hunting or pulsating stops and your focus is achieved.

Andy...great info on your call to Canon. And I'm still keep mine off for the shorter lenses with no ill affects.

Frank

Dec 06, 2014 at 09:35 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

Hey Frank! You have me wondering if this would work on some of the other models like the 5d3 & 7d2... My 7d2 is not consistent with focus (Mostly with a 70-200 II)... I would shoot a series and have one in focus, one out... Just wondering if the camera was trying to work too hard...

Ralph

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1 DX Setting (Lens drive when AF impossible)

This is a setting we BIF photographers have known about and used for many years, especially when tracking a bird against the sky. This keeps AF from going grossly out of focus if focus slips off the bird that way we can get back on the subject quickly.

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.