New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

lonleyppl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

Everything is blurry (though the object focused on is less blurry) when I look through the viewfinder of my T1i, including the settings bar across the bottom. Checking the LCD reveals that the object focused on is actually in focus, while putting my glasses (+1.0 prescription) on over my contacts brings the entire viewfinder into focus. I've already adjusted the diopter as much as possible.

I think this stems from changing the focus screen, as I may have lost a shim. I've purchased more, but am unsure if I should add or remove at this point, or just send my camera in for repairs (it's my second, rarely used body and I'd rather not).

Does anyone have any advice?

Nov 05, 2014 at 09:33 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

That's one of the cameras that does not have user replaceable screens I think?

In which case you have probably changed the distance from the screen to the pentamirror while changing the screen out, no amount of using the diopter adjustment will make this right.

Unless you want to use trial and error with shimming I'd send it in for repair.

Does the T1I have live view I can't remember? If it does you might be able to use the camera set up against a test target and focus with live view, then through the viewfinder to see if you can get an idea of if the screen needs to shim up or down by how OOF the image is, until the images match

Nov 05, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

is it something simple like the Diopter adjustment wheel to the side of Viewfinder being wrongly adjusted ?
I say that because I dont think the settings bar at the bottom of the VF changes if you remove the focus screen .

worth checking

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:53 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
is it something simple like the Diopter adjustment wheel to the side of Viewfinder being wrongly adjusted ?
I say that because I dont think the settings bar at the bottom of the VF changes if you remove the focus screen .

worth checking

The OP says he's aready adjusted the diopter as much as possible.

Nov 05, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

If you don't want to monkey with shims, you could mount a +1.0 diopter lens on the eyepiece.

Nov 05, 2014 at 11:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

Gochugogi wrote:
If you don't want to monkey with shims, you could mount a +1.0 diopter lens on the eyepiece.

Depends if the screen is still perpendicular to the pentamirror and eyepiece, which it seems it may not be

The OP thinks he's lost shims to this could put it back at an angle.

Nov 05, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

dhphoto wrote:
The OP says he's aready adjusted the diopter as much as possible.

yeah I re read the OP . missed that the first time

Nov 05, 2014 at 03:00 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

You should purchase the shims from Canon.

The canon repair manual process for my 5D classic is basically as follows.

1. Using a 100mm lens, view a distant object, about 250 meters away.

2. Manually focus until the image is sharp in the viewfinder (Magnification helps)

3. The index line of the lens focus ring should read within 1-1/2 line widths of infinity.

4. Add or remove shims until item 3 above is met.

There are probably more than one focus washer thicknesses, but you will need a parts list or help from Canon to decide which one or ones to get. You should be able to estimate it by resetting the diopter to zero and focus the lens with your glasses on to see how far off the infinity mark is.

I'd think that the T1i process is close to the same, maybe a 60mm lens rather than 100mm.

A lot of this assumes that the lens index mark is accurate .

Nov 06, 2014 at 01:32 AM
lonleyppl

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon T1i fuzzy viewfinder

Thanks for all the replies! Since I have the washers, I'll continue adding until it looks right (or gets noticeably worse) and see if that makes a difference.

Nov 06, 2014 at 10:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.