Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

OK, guys, here I open a can of worms:

Eventually this will boil down to: just shoot what you feel comfortable with. I know.

I am in a decision process to with which system to continue next season. DSLR (Nikon) or mirror-less (Sony).

At the moment I own both systems, including the new D750 and I have extended experience with both. The problem is, I can´t decide where to put my priorities.

The A7 is so tiny and nice to hold, havin two bodies and a couple of lenses is a no brainer. EVF is godsend as you see what you get beforehand (amazingly useful when you are after crazy flares and free-lensing etc). The cameras feels sluggish, lag in EVF activation and start up time makes me crazy.

Nikons AF is so much superior, the AF of the D750 is from another world, it just locks in a blink of an eye in nearly total darkness. Nikon has much better menu options, like setting your warmth of the images (not WB!). After using Leica and Sony, DSLRs feel so uninspiring.

It is rumored that Sony will come out with some new FE mount bodies which are supposed to have improved AF... does not make the decision easier.

What is your view on this? How many are really happy with their mirror-less systems. What are about fast candid moments? AF hunting in low light receptions?
Who played with the thought of going mirror-less but stayed DSLR because of AF performance and responsiveness?

thanks for sharing your experience,

heiko

Nov 05, 2014 at 06:31 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I sold of my DSRL's for weddings and shot on just mirroless from september !!! No regrets !!

Perfect Hard to say !!!

I shoot Fuji so what ??

Nov 05, 2014 at 06:40 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

heikoM wrote:
After using Leica and Sony, DSLRs feel so uninspiring.

----------------

What is your view on this?

I wouldn't look to your equipment for inspiration, and would also question whether you should need to be 'inspired' to do your job.

Just my 2 pennies. Good luck.

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:07 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

ricardovaste wrote:
I wouldn't look to your equipment for inspiration, and would also question whether you should need to be 'inspired' to do your job.

Just my 2 pennies. Good luck.

oh, I need to be inspired to do my job.

It is that I am able to make better portraits with the Sony (see the flare, able to free lens with the Nikon 50/1.2 etc) and I am better in getting fast moments with the Nikon.

heiko

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:41 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

heikoM wrote:
oh, I need to be inspired to do my job.

It is that I am able to make better portraits with the Sony (see the flare, able to free lens with the Nikon 50/1.2 etc) and I am better in getting fast moments with the Nikon.

heiko

Well, if you *need* to be inspired to photograph weddings, and a DSLR doesn't inspire you - does your question really require an answer?

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:46 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Step 1
Tell 2015 brides that they should postpone their wedding until 2017 when equipment will finally be good enough.

Step 2
Hope that they don't know any 2007 brides who were thrilled with images shot with a D200.

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:52 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

jeremy_clay wrote:
Well, if you *need* to be inspired to photograph weddings, and a DSLR doesn't inspire you - does your question really require an answer?

Oh, guys, common, no need to make fun of me (0:

Ah, whatever keep going...

I need to be inspired but of course not by my equipment. It is just nice to have a camera that make you want to shoot.

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:54 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Nikon_14 wrote:
Step 1
Tell 2015 brides that they should postpone their wedding until 2017 when equipment will finally be good enough.

Step 2
Hope that they don't know any 2007 brides who were thrilled with images shot with a D200.

ah yeah right - I did not know that one can make great images without the newest gadget - thank you for getting me on track.

Of course there had been car-races in 1920. Try to win a cup in F1 with a car from 1920...

(0:

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:57 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I've heard there will be a mirrorless model with overshooting features !!

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Why not a combination? D750 for moments and the Sony for portraits.

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:17 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Mykal wrote:

A radical thought! Have thought about that, maybe not the worst solution. Think I would feel more set with only one system. Never got people who shoot Nikon and Canon site by site.

I believe is the same as with combining Leica with DSLR, it is hard for me to switch back and fort, does not "feel" right.

heiko

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:23 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I agree with that Heiko, before going 100% mirrorless this september I was using Canon Dslrs and the fuji and it was a mess !! I think it is one system or the other but 50/50 was confusing to me !!

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:32 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Mykal wrote:

That's really what should be done. Best of both worlds. But he doesn't seem too flexible.

Nov 05, 2014 at 09:47 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I'm on the fence too. Before the D750 came along I was ready to jump both feet into mirrorless at the end of this season.

Cons of mirrorsless for me:

1.) No pro support for either Olympus or Panasonic (the two companies that I have been looking at for mirrorless)

2.) Off-camera flash and no on-camera pass through TTL support. There are triggers that will work but I have not found a transceiver for either Olympus or Panasonic. Putting a full sized flash gun and a trigger on top of these small bodies make them really top heavy.

3.) All of them are still single card bodies.

Pros of Mirrorless

1.) Weight and stealthiness (new made up word of the day)

2.) Lens choices for primes is incredible.

3.) AF points over the entire display not just the center 1/3

4.) EVF

5.) Everything is at least half the price of equivalent DSLR gear

Cons of the D750

1.) Although the weight is reduced in comparison to a D4/D3s bodies the lenses are still big and heavy

Pros of D750

1.) Pro support for repairs

2.) Dual card body

3.) Can use existing lenses

4.) Nikon and 3rd party flash makers still have not got a reliable transceiver system going yet

5.) Familiarity with the Nikon gear

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:05 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I think that dual card slots are the deciding factor for me. I am too data-paranoid to even think about shooting an event without file redundancy from the moment images are shot.

That said, used Fuji X-E1s are getting really cheap and I'm seriously considering one for my personal use (not dragging a DSLR around with me). Like Heiko, I think that there is something to be said for constantly updating equipment, even little things. A new flash modifier, a different lens, etc. Little things like this get me excited to shoot, while also helping me to think differently. Necessary, no. Fun, yes.

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I went mirrorless at a wedding five years ago when the mirror fell out of the 5D and i've never cared for the concept since.

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:56 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Seems to me like the main draw for mirrorless are convenience factors (size, weight) for the photographer, not an improvement in the final product.

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:58 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

deepbluejh wrote:
Seems to me like the main draw for mirrorless are convenience factors (size, weight) for the photographer, not an improvement in the final product.

Not entirely. Focus on some of these is incredible and will beat a DSLR, especially when you consider having the choice of an active focus point anywhere within the frame vs having them all grouped together in the middle 1/3 of the frame. Also a fast responsive EVF that shows you real time aperture and shutter speed adjustments is huge.

Nov 05, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

I have a Fuji mirrorless system – almost exclusively with prime lenses for personal projects.
I have a Nikon FX system – with primes and zooms for weddings. But I find that I often only bring out the zooms for flexibility and weigh savings.

So last week – I was pressed to shoot in a wedding situation with the Fuji mirrorless. Here is my take on it.

- AF on the Fuji is slow and unreliable compared to my Nikon bodies.

- The spread of AF points is nice but the most reliable points I found were the PDAF ones – which are grouped in the middle of the frame – especially in back lit and low light situations – near the end of the night – I just gave up and went manual focus.

- The weight and size is very nice on the mirrorless – shooting one-handed is not a problem.

- EVF with the simulated exposures was nice as I wasn’t using any flashes but if I had my lights it would drive me crazy changing between simulated exposures vs. Auto-adjusted exposure modes.

- Raw file sizes on the Fuji are huge – they don’t have compression on them – they are very close to my D800 compressed file sizes but they only have 16MP vs 36MP.

- backout times between frames on the Fuji are horrible - if you need to rapid fire a sequence - you are doing it blind after the first shot.

I guess if you are a prime and a deliberate shooter, the weight and size savings of a mirrorless would sell it for me. If you like to shoot fast and a lot of frames – I think DSLR is still the king for that.

The prime lenses for a mirrorless appear to be generally less expensive than the DSLR ones. The F2.8 constant zooms haven’t really appeared yet but I think the cost of those will match closely with the DSLR ones as well as the weight and size. When people start to add F2.8 zoom lenses onto the mirrorless bodies – I think the size and weight average will disappear fast.

Nov 05, 2014 at 12:39 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DSLR or mirror-less for next years weddings?

Littleguy wrote:
I have a Fuji mirrorless system – almost exclusively with prime lenses for personal projects.

Which Fuji?

Nov 05, 2014 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.