Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

lukeiam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

Hi folks - sorry to bombard the forum with questions/comments this week. I was very curious if anyone had experience with backgrounds outside of white seamless and canvas. I would really like to do something with a white wall, but, of course, I don't have one in my house that would work. So, some thoughts:

Grab a 4x8 piece of drywall and paint it. Drywall is brittle so moving it around will surely cause problems. I could screw it to some framing, but now it's heavy and way less portable.

Does any have experience with solutions like this from your standard homedepot materials? Eg, I also see soundboard as an option. Thanks!

Nov 04, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/2007/10/home-depot-week-more-backgrounds.html

Read the comments

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:06 AM
sqdstf
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

I've been using the off white back side of a thicker vinyl flooring. I thinned out some primer and gave it a light coat of some flat super white.

Nov 11, 2014 at 01:20 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

crashwins wrote:
Grab a 4x8 piece of drywall and paint it. Drywall is brittle so moving it around will surely cause problems. I could screw it to some framing, but now it's heavy and way less portable.

This sounds like the best route, and you want the framing for both rigidity and to ensure sturdy footing. The loss of portability is made up by the excellence of this surface! My studio has neutral white walls, and I use them for area fill, local fill, and as backdrop. Provided you have complete control over spill and ambient light, a big sheet of white drywall has myriad uses, and no creases or stretch marks.

Nov 15, 2014 at 04:23 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

That would be a lot of work to move and be damaged easily. Try looking for a 4x8 form board, used to mount pictures. Lift with one hand and paint any color you want. You have the same seam issue if using 2 pieces but at least it is light and low cost. If you want thicker then form insulation panels. About half inch thick and super light weight. The ones I got were pink Owens brand. Peel off the plastic which is hard to see. After that they are easy to paint.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternative Backgrounds -- drywall, etc?

4x8 sheets of foamcore white, black, etc. easy to move around, light, etc.

Nov 16, 2014 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.