Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

This little girl was all giggles!

Nov 03, 2014 at 10:53 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Well done! Do you have a set with her and this lighting?

Nov 04, 2014 at 01:13 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Love the emotion - I think the shot is a bit overexposed however, and the face is being hit by a lot of reflected yellow/green light by the grass leading to a slight "mixed lighting" effect

Nov 04, 2014 at 01:58 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

I like this image. Is her hair blown out in the capture or is that from post? If you can recover it, I think it would be better with some detail in the hair. I think you could still retain the overall feel. I also agree with Dawei, you could correct that with masks in PS, or use my favorite lazy way, control points with NIK's Viveza.

Nov 04, 2014 at 08:42 AM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

MazeRunner wrote:

Thanks! Yes I do have more..
---------------------------------------------

Dawei Ye wrote:
Love the emotion - I think the shot is a bit overexposed however, and the face is being hit by a lot of reflected yellow/green light by the grass leading to a slight "mixed lighting" effect

Thanks! The overexposure was intentional but I am really struggling to get the green off of her. I use LR5.. Any tips?

dmacmillan wrote:
I like this image. Is her hair blown out in the capture or is that from post? If you can recover it, I think it would be better with some detail in the hair. I think you could still retain the overall feel. I also agree with Dawei, you could correct that with masks in PS, or use my favorite lazy way, control points with NIK's Viveza.

Thanks. Her hair is blown on the raw file and non recoverable but I don't really see it as a problem. I'm so bad with PS that I can't even stand to use it. Is Viveza only available in PS?

Nov 04, 2014 at 07:38 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

MazeRunner wrote:

Yeah, it'd be great to see others.

AFphotography wrote:
Thanks! The overexposure was intentional but I am really struggling to get the green off of her. I use LR5.. Any tips?

Me too - I'll check in to see if anyone replies. Particular casts can be troublesome.

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:24 AM
Deanne76

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Beautiful!

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:25 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

AFphotography wrote:

[
Thanks. Her hair is blown on the raw file and non recoverable but I don't really see it as a problem. I'm so bad with PS that I can't even stand to use it. Is Viveza only available in PS?

NIK's tools work in LR5. You can also use the adjustment brush in LR5 to accomplish the same thing. It and control points are very similar. I prefer to use them in PS6 because it the plugin creates a layer. I can easily remove it or adjust it. I had an image of a lady who is red headed and has very red skin. It wouldn't print well. I used Silver Efex Pro to create a B&W of the image on a new layer. I then set it's opacity very low and it tamed her skin just right.

Next time you get a chance, do a little test under similar circumstances. Make an exposure like this, shooting for the shadows and blowing out the highlights. Then, make an exposure that saves the highlights. She'll be pretty dark. Then, use the shadow slider in LR5 to lift her up. Elena Shumilova often underexposes to hold the background, then lifts up the subject to make them brighter. She uses plugins and does some pretty extensive PS work to achieve her look

Nov 05, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Great photo

Nov 05, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
Great photo

+1

Nov 05, 2014 at 01:39 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Paul Mo wrote:
Yeah, it'd be great to see others.

Me too - I'll check in to see if anyone replies. Particular casts can be troublesome.

Nov 05, 2014 at 03:25 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Deanne76 wrote:
Beautiful!

Thanks

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
Great photo

Thank you

Nov 05, 2014 at 03:43 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

dmacmillan wrote:
NIK's tools work in LR5. You can also use the adjustment brush in LR5 to accomplish the same thing. It and control points are very similar. I prefer to use them in PS6 because it the plugin creates a layer. I can easily remove it or adjust it. I had an image of a lady who is red headed and has very red skin. It wouldn't print well. I used Silver Efex Pro to create a B&W of the image on a new layer. I then set it's opacity very low and it tamed her skin just right.

Next time you
...Show more

Ok, I'll give that a try! Her work is very good and I like the mood she sets. Looks like I need to take my kiddos out there and play around a little!

Nov 05, 2014 at 03:46 PM
HighConcept

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Quite ethereal, very nice. Are you the same person I provided some advice relating to values w/ a particular processing technique from another thread?

Anyway, great photos. Keep up the good work.

Nov 05, 2014 at 05:49 PM
ppffffpp

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Wow. This is a great picture! Did you use any external lighting/reflectors? What stage was the sun at for the photos? I struggle from blowing out the background while maintaining a decent exposure on the subject.

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:20 AM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Thank you! I think you may have but it's been quite a while.

HighConcept wrote:
Quite ethereal, very nice. Are you the same person I provided some advice relating to values w/ a particular processing technique from another thread?

Anyway, great photos. Keep up the good work.

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:31 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Pure Happiness of a Child

Thanks! No additional lighting was used although it world have worked much better :-). Sun was about 10 minutes before setting and it was filtering through trees. The D800 has a very healthy amount of DR making it a bit easier. I still blew out some hair as because I set my exposure with no flare coming into the lens and quickly moved to get this shot and got a ton of flare. It overexposed my image about 2 stops but I was able to recover it quite well.
ppffffpp wrote:
Wow. This is a great picture! Did you use any external lighting/reflectors? What stage was the sun at for the photos? I struggle from blowing out the background while maintaining a decent exposure on the subject.

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:52 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.