New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

I was doing long exposures last weekend and experiencing light leakage in the shot. The setup is Nikon D810/ 24-70 f/2.8 with CPL and ND stacked. The eye piece was closed as well. I could not figure out the leak source because both filters are screw on type and once mounted, there is technically no light path for stray lights.

Anyone experienced this before? What precaution shall i be taking.

Nov 03, 2014 at 04:21 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

anyone :-)

Nov 04, 2014 at 06:05 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

I suggest you post it in the Nikon forum. You might want to include a full-frame shot as well as the close-up so folks can see exactly what was in the frame.

The possibities that come to mind for me are the following:

- "Amp glow". Some of the Nikon cameras have been reported to have this problem on long exposures where the electronics cause some fogging of the image. The particular form of the artifact in your case doesn't really make me think it might be amp glow and I thought I read that the 810 was supposed to be better in that regard anyway, but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

- Reflection off the sensor. UV filters with poor multi-coating will sometimes causes this. The light bounces off the sensor, reflects back from the filter and ends up in the image. Again, can't say that is what is happening here. This is one reason it would be good to see the whole frame. If it is reflection off the sensor, you can often match up the reflection to a bright object in the frame. Sometimes it will be inverted and on the other side of the frame from the bright object.

- Interaction between the polarizer and the ND. I assume the ND wasn't one of those vari-NDs because those could definitely interfere with the polarizer but there still might be some kind of interaction with a normal ND. Again, just guessing here.

Try the Nikon guys. They should be able to give you good feedback on the probability of the amp glow problem being the cause. Another thing you should mention is what exposure settings you used - the exposure time in particular.

Nov 04, 2014 at 07:24 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

thanks Eyeball. I will post there as well. One important info i missed last time is that i ended up wrapping a cloth around the section covering lens/filter and the issue vanished. So Amp Glow woudl not be the culprit. I was not using Vari-ND . It seems to be something to do with the filters connection and /or the 77/82 step up adapter i used.

Nov 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM
Kruppa2k5

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

Hi,

There were problems with some 24-70 that had light leak through the focusing scale.

Nov 06, 2014 at 08:44 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND Filter and LE: issue with Light leak

Ah ha. That may be it. I'll test today. Thanks kruppa2k5

Nov 06, 2014 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.