New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Rolleiflex Problem

m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rolleiflex Problem

Question for you guys. I purchased a Rolleiflex 2.8E1 planar about a year ago. Prior to the purchase date, I see it had been serviced about 6 months ago which was a huge factor for the sale. Upon receiving it, the right dial was incredibly hard to turn and eventually would, bit as a result I have barely used it because the user experience is just so frustrating. I tried a friend's Yashica and the dials turned so silky smooth that it prompted me to think something is wrong and I need another service.

Am I doing something wrong or does the camera sound like it needs a service?

Moreover, have you guys changed the focusing screen at all from the original?

Thanks,
Matthew

Nov 03, 2014 at 04:17 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rolleiflex Problem

All of these old compur shutters require use or they can stop workingIt sounds like something is frozen and a lubrication may be necessary. It Should Not be difficult to turn.Don'tforce anything. If your fortunate, lub will do the trick.These old cameras can cost a small fortune to repair. The last Rollei that I owned was a gift from my mother in the early 60's.It was a model 3.5F and had a bright microprism screen and accepted a Rollei prism.It sounds like your camera is a prior model.You may still be able to install the brighter screen.
In either case, you'll need to find an old time rollei repair guy. Sorry I don't know anyone who might help you. I'm sure someone on FM will be able to be of help. Good luck.

Nov 03, 2014 at 07:38 PM
geoffreyg
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rolleiflex Problem

Harry Fleenor in Calif does a great job and can fix this for you. And yes, he can install a modern focusing screen, typ. Bill Maxwells. Makes a world of difference.

Nov 03, 2014 at 10:56 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rolleiflex Problem

Thinking I'm going to have to send it to Harry. Which is a shame since he is the one that did the CLA! Oh well maybe something during shipping buggered something. Thanks fellas!

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.