New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wyatt

astrodave
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wyatt

My recent portrait of Wyatt.

Love it? Hate it? Meh? Let me know. All comments, critiques and suggestions are always welcome, valued and appreciated.

wyatt-DSC03855b by crosseyed-cricket, on Flickr

Details:

Hasselblad 500cm + Zeiss 150mm f/4 Sonnar
20" flourescent ring light
Fuji Velvia 100 (push processed to ISO 200 in Arista E-6 kit)
Scanned with Sony A7 + Canon fd 50mm macro lens
Color balanced, cropped and extended canvas in CS5

Nov 03, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wyatt

I think this photo would have benefitted greatly from some rim lighting. Not a fan of how the shirt and blends into the background.

Nov 03, 2014 at 10:25 AM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wyatt

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion on the lighting. I'm not satisfied with how that looks either...I will try that on my next roll.

-David

Nov 03, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wyatt

Agree with Dave.

My own problem with this photo is the round catchlights in the eyes. As I've said a few times before on this forum - I've never seen a real person's eyes look like that.

Nov 03, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wyatt

I like the concept and agree that some rim lighting would help

Nov 03, 2014 at 11:52 AM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wyatt

Jim, Wilcats_Fans, thanks a lot for your feedback, always nice to have some objective opinions. I like trying new things with my photography...sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Nov 03, 2014 at 04:09 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wyatt

I like everything except the ring highlights in the eyes and I think the shirt should be completely cropped out as the collar is a distraction the way it is.

Nov 03, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Pincher

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wyatt

Awesome!

Nov 05, 2014 at 05:26 PM
HighConcept

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wyatt

astrodave wrote:
Jim, Wilcats_Fans, thanks a lot for your feedback, always nice to have some objective opinions. I like trying new things with my photography...sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Some of the feedback are conducive to your growth while some are actually "subjective".

The catch-light is fine. It's called artistic/creative license, and without it...modifiers and/or flash should be obsolete as well then.

I don't understand the tone w/ authority when it's simple opinion or dissonance to their standards sometimes--we should never force our bias onto others.

Past the rant now, I'd suggest becoming more intimate and zoom even closer to draw a stronger effect.

Nov 05, 2014 at 05:42 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wyatt

Pretty impressed with the skin tones, seeing that you shot with Velvia! With some rim lighting to create seperation, you'd have an outstanding portrait!

Nov 05, 2014 at 06:17 PM
tooktoolong

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wyatt

i really like the lighting; but as mentioned a little separation would have topped off a really great photo.

@Jim Rickards-mentioned that he has never seen a person with eyes like that. i hadn't either until i had cataract surgery and now that is exactly the way my eyes look when the light hits them a certain way. people had mentioned it, but i had never seen what they meant until looking in the mirror and the light caught them at just the right angle. that said, i still find it slightly distracting and would like it a bit more without them, but personally i don't think it takes away too much from the quality of the photograph.

Nov 05, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wyatt

Jim Rickards wrote:
Agree with Dave.

My own problem with this photo is the round catchlights in the eyes. As I've said a few times before on this forum - I've never seen a real person's eyes look like that.

I agree, and I agree about having just a hint of shirt detail, - otherwise he's a great subject to photograph.

Nov 05, 2014 at 11:27 PM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wyatt

Hey guys...thanks a lot for commenting. I really do appreciate the feedback, both positive and critical.

I'm still undecided about the ring catchlights. I really like the all-around illumination from the ring, so I might experiment with a modifier.

I do agree with not being fond of the 'floating head' feeling this one got. I used a background light in this one, but not nearly bright enough for the exposure...next time I will try a rim light (flash).

I experimented with a closer crop, but I think I will prefer the full head/shoulders version with a few tweaks/experiments with the lighting.

wyatt-DSC03855d by crosseyed-cricket, on Flickr

Thanks again!

-David

Nov 06, 2014 at 06:24 AM
innovis
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wyatt

I agree with HighConcept, maybe some of you aren't exposed to much environments then. Have you ever had a model, friend, or anyone sit in front of a round mirror with a built-in light?

Yea, that light would cast the exact "ring catchlight". So actually, you do see stuff like this and a person's eye can have it because it's a CATCHLIGHT same as how a chandelier or anything that is reflective in white can draw any specular shapes into the eyes.

The close crop does make it much more an emotional shot and I think fixes your floating head problem. You just didn't crop enough so the neck is out.

Head and shoulders are only going to work if you can make it not appear the same way as your first image. This must be weird for you because you just aren't used to it, but trust me it is looking a lot better. Don't get too accustomed to front and centered, symmetrical, or perfect all the time.

And remember, white reveals while black conceals so lighting into a black bg just lets the black soak up all that light. Hope you didn't mind the quick crop I did for you.

Nov 06, 2014 at 09:51 AM
ishootstars

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wyatt

Jim Rickards wrote:
Agree with Dave.

Then you have never been in a dressing room where they have a lot of these mirrors:

Makeup Mirror

or

illuminated mirror

maybe even

another round lit mirror

So......what do you think our eyes look like when looking into those mirrors? These type of photoshoots always remind me of how my eyes look when I'm doing makeup looking through one. It's actually quite natural. How old are some of you guys? lol

Nov 06, 2014 at 10:18 AM
ishootstars

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wyatt

OMG I forgot to leave a comment too. The boy looks really cute and the closeup is way better. He looks weird in the first picture like his head is chopped off.

Nov 06, 2014 at 10:20 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wyatt

I agree about the ring catchlights in the eyes, looks weird

Nov 07, 2014 at 07:14 AM
danchez
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wyatt

catchlights and floating head. The catchlights look weird to me. I've seen some ringlights that look good, but for some reason these look off to me. The floating head... without some kind of rim light and with the color of his shirt. everything just blends in together and all you see is a floating head.

Nov 08, 2014 at 06:47 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wyatt

I'm not hating the black shirt on black... It gives an interesting depth to the shot. (Maybe a slight lift at the upper shoulders around the neck, fading to black?)

I think the concerns voiced by some over the ring-light reflections are possibly because of a couple of things:

The light accentuates the dark centres of the eyes, which gives rise to a creepy quality to the shot given that it is a young boy. If this look is intentional then no problem.

Given that the shot uses highly localised lighting, (to get that lovely jet black background), there is almost an expectation of a different light source and this may cause a little conflict with what we are expecting to see.

A fine shot to be sure. What we are expecting - possibly not... If it creates the mood you are after then all good. If a more neutral mood is intended then I'd think a softbox (perhaps gridded or with strips to emulate a window reflection), may work better.

Nov 09, 2014 at 06:51 AM
Deaf

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wyatt

Just me:

I actually like the composition. The collar needs to be more discreet, to make the head better pop out.

The eyes are not a problem, they are what gives it a sci-fi feel and I kind of like it.

The nose/mouth is blurry, which softens the strong feeling that the face gives.

Nov 09, 2014 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.