New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

Getting back into the swing of 4x5, this was one of my first frames with a new setup. A favorite "dive" bar.

Shot at dusk, Wista 45vx, 135mm Sironar-N, FP4+ at N-1, f/16, about 5 seconds IIRC. Your thoughts and comments are, of course, always welcome and appreciated.

http://bainesphoto.com/files/gimgs/37_h-2.jpg

This second shot is of a tiny post office in a small NY town we love.

Same as above but nikkor 210mm @f22, can't recall shutter speed.

http://bainesphoto.com/files/gimgs/37_h-1.jpg

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:19 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

For the first shot, I don't understand why you would use N-1. The scene does not appear to be that contrasty. If anything, N+1. The second shot....I like the tonality but the nothing is really exceptionally good or outstanding with the scene. Of course, this is 4x5 and I was expecting to see a larger resolution photo though.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

TooManyShots wrote:
For the first shot, I don't understand why you would use N-1.

Thanks for the feedback.

My thought process was that the sign was a crucial aspect of the photo, and I wanted the remainder of the shot to convey a dusky, darker tone without crushing my shadows too much. Increasing the contrast of the scene would give a more conventionally rendered building at the expense of the signage and the feel of the image.

That was my decision-making process... but it may have failed to produce a result you find appealing, and that is useful feedback for me.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

Evan on #1 With the bright sign if that detail is important I wouldn't have gone N+1. It kind of reminds me of a B&W image in Meyerowitz's book Cape Light. The Dairyland photo IIRC. I like the dusk feel it has and I think your N-1 decision was the right one.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:47 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

airfrogusmc wrote:
Evan on #1 With the bright sign if that detail is important I wouldn't have gone N+1. It kind of reminds me of a B&W image in Meyerowitz's book Cape Light. The Dairyland photo IIRC. I like the dusk feel it has and I think your N-1 decision was the right one.

Thanks brother!

That's in the right vein! Love that shot. What I specifically was thinking of and hoping to reference here was the tonality/approach in George Tice's dusk or night urban landscapes, which I have long loved.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:49 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

That shot by Tice of the old White Castle taken at night(New Jersey?) is one of my favs of his.

Nov 02, 2014 at 08:09 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

I really like the tonal range in 2 also. The whites really pops but yet isn't off the scale and that contrast is further enhanced by the dark shadows but the shadows also retain wonderful detail. The silver gelatin prints of both should be spectacular.

Nov 03, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2 Images, Would love feedback

Evan Baines wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

My thought process was that the sign was a crucial aspect of the photo, and I wanted the remainder of the shot to convey a dusky, darker tone without crushing my shadows too much. Increasing the contrast of the scene would give a more conventionally rendered building at the expense of the signage and the feel of the image.

That was my decision-making process... but it may have failed to produce a result you find appealing, and that is useful feedback for me.

Evan,
After your explanation of how you shot #1, I would then agree with you. But I do think the under-the porch..has lost allot of its detail. Maybe just a tad of exposure to give it some depth. Especially the brich and the sign(which is great) would not be influenced.
Now #2 is excellant! I love small towns and love local beverage stops!! They make for fine compositions!
Great job!
Dan(5th SF SOG)

Nov 03, 2014 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.