Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Last week I sent a client over some images from their wedding in good faith so they could pick one for their thank-you cards. I get an email back today asking if I use Photoshop and basically asking if ALL of their final images will be retouched in Photoshop. This is coming from a very good looking groom who may have very slight acne. I plan on delivering 600-900 final edited images between myself & my second. Normally, all delivered images are developed in LR5 with basic edits (color correct, exposure, curves, sharpen etc.). If clients order a canvas or archival print and ask for special retouching, I'm happy to do so but I rarely use Photoshop and never do extensive retouching. This is something I normally touch on at the consult but I met with the bride & not the groom so he didn't hear it. I did their engagement pictures and they were perfectly happy. Also, my portfolio/blog does not display heavily retouched images-it shows my style with very light/unobtrusive edits and thats exactly what I will be delivering to them.

I'm curious as to what others policies are on this.And I'd love some help wording a kind and professional response to him. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here is the couple-the groom is the one saying he needs "retouching"

Nov 02, 2014 at 01:50 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

I have the same policy as you. I will retouch images only for prints or albums. I would politely let the groom know that if you were to retouch every single image, the cost would be substantially more than what they are paying.

Nov 02, 2014 at 02:23 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

What do the want retouched? Just his acne?

Nov 02, 2014 at 02:29 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

morby wrote:
What do the want retouched? Just his acne?

He didn't specify in his email but the only thing I can imagine is his acne.

How would you word a response to him? I want to keep it friendly & professional and educate them on how this isn't normally included. My contract does not go into detail about editing details but I always touch on this topic during consults. Does anyone mention editing specifics in their contract?

Nov 02, 2014 at 02:55 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

My contract sates that photos will be retouched "as needed" only for prints and albums.

Nov 02, 2014 at 03:10 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Greg,
most of us have the same policy as you, just explain that to him, it should be in the contract that he signed.

Nov 02, 2014 at 03:19 PM
skg photos

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

I'd thank him for asking; tell him that your policy, as had been discussed prior to the wedding and written in your info sheet/ contract/whatever, is that anything they order through you, be it prints, album, or cards, can be further edited as a service included with the cost of the product. (not your fault he skipped the consult)

And that additional edits to digital files beyond your standard digital developing are available at $xx per image or $xxxx per whole gallery.
Personally, I try to never say no, but to say 'of course, I'd be happy to; here is the rate for that! Just let me know how you want to proceed'!

Nov 02, 2014 at 03:37 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Clients don't always have the same vocabulary as we do... They could simply be wanting to know if you're doing basic edits, ect...

Is the image you showed SOOC or processed? I'm only asking because it's nice, but I honestly can't tell. I'm wondering if she's just wanting a bit more pop or processing style rather than 'retouching'.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:01 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

As LR can handle most cloning needs now days, my policy is about the same as OP's. Before LR cloning improved, I would take "close-ups" only (usually just the bride, unless the groom had major issues) to PS for additional cloning perfection. That equated to about a handful per wedding at most - not a big deal. Now days, I do it all in LR, and explain the policy pretty much the same way. (close-ups primarily, but will do others upon request, within reasonable parameters)

And I agree with Tony's first paragraph. All images get a basic processing service, regardless of name. That should be explained in the consult.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:01 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Yeah, the image you showed seems to lack some "oomph."

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:46 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

That is the way the OP's portfolio looks like in his/her Site and probably in his/her albums !!! So I dont get what the groom is asking for !! Different edinting !!!

Inku Yo wrote:
Yeah, the image you showed seems to lack some "oomph."

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Though it does match his portfolio, I would agree that the presented image (and most of those presented on the FB post) lacks "punch". It looks SOOC. This is most likely why the groom is confused.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:03 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

The image I posted is edited and my client is not asking about adding more "oomph". He's asking is his images will be retouched to clean up his acne.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:08 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Within reason I'll do skin touch ups for a client, even on a full wedding. My typical response is "I can hire someone to do it now for $$$, or you can wait until the off season and I'll do it." Last year I had a bride that got sunburn prior to her wedding, and her chest and shoulders were peeling. She asked if I could fix it, and she opted for the off season. It took a few days, but she was really grateful, and has referred couples to me since then.

I've only had extension touch up requests a couple of times, but it goes a long way with the client. I sometimes will go too far to please a client, but it always seems to work out for the positive.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:28 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

We usually try to ease people's concerns by telling them that we don't shoot a ton of close up, super posed stuff, but we'll make sure to touch up anything in an album or for prints that they order. Haven't had anyone push beyond that yet.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:33 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

I retouch portraits like that where they are large as standard of it is needed. It's just the right thing to do I think. From a wedding we are usually talking about maybe 10 images honestly. And most weddings I don't need to do it. I try to do things preemptively if it's something I would ask for as the client.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:38 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Thank you guys-that sounds about right and I'm sure they will be fine with this. As far as the SOOC comments, I don't clam to be the best and I'm constantly working on my technique and getting better.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Kannalaphoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

Ask more question and find out exactly what he means by "photoshopped". People have totally different ideas of what that even means, so you need to find out.

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:45 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

BostonGreg wrote:
Thank you guys-that sounds about right and I'm sure they will be fine with this. As far as the SOOC comments, I don't clam to be the best and I'm constantly working on my technique and getting better.

I hope my comment wasn't taken the wrong way. I was simply trying to diagnose the issue, not critique. Processing looks nice and clean. No worries if that wasn't the issue, I was just taking a stab at it.

Nov 02, 2014 at 08:02 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Client asking if every image will be "photoshopped"

You do have to educate them a bit as Photoshop is a proper name of a computer application, and is not a verb.

Nov 02, 2014 at 08:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.