FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

A year ago, or something, my wife joined me in my business. She always liked photography as such, but actually never photographed before. I just was lucky to get her on the boat. I never thought she will become like this.

I am no longer the primary with a second shooter. We have become a full husband and wife team. Lucky me.

(Just wanted to share)

heiko

a couple of shots from a wedding in autumn:

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:23 AM
DblDrgn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

Dude that's awesome! I'm in the same boat– my girl got good, really fast.

I say the same thing all the time, "two primary photographers, are better than one primary and one (green) 2nd shooter."

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

Happy for you! I envy those that are able to team with their wife or husband. You know exactly what roles each plays, strengths, etc and shoot accordingly. You know you can depend on that person. My wife has 2nd shot for me at several weddings, and still assists when her schedule permits - we have a blast. But she is a full time college art instructor, and we have a kid, so she does not really have the time to shoot. I'm not complaining though, since she is paid well, and gets excellent health insurance and benefits (the health insurance is huge when you have a family, at least in this country).

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:55 AM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

Congrats! I went down the same path- after 11 years of shooting weddings on my own I married a graphic designer in February and we decided to go into business together. We now do letterpress wedding invites on our own machine and she shoots with me. Her graphic design experience really lent itself well to shooting- she already had developed an eye for composition and color. She got some beautiful stuff her first few weddings with me (even got a couple of better shots during some of the bridal couple formals). She's already a fantastic second shooter, and with a little more experience we'll both be lead shooters. It's a great feeling.

Nov 04, 2014 at 10:23 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

Awesome! My route with my wife was rather different. She was rather slow to pick up the photography side of the business. After 4 years, though, she had really found her place. While she still struggles on the creative side compared to where I tend to be a bit stronger, she has become an extremely solid second (and she even had shot a few weddings on her own without me now)

Nov 04, 2014 at 10:31 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

Lucky you... I've taken my wife along several times, and all she can say is "I don't understand why you do that"

Nov 06, 2014 at 07:59 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

I've taken my wife along once. When I opened my bag, she went "Did you buy another camera??"

Nov 07, 2014 at 01:29 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

I found it out many years ago.

When I was booked out I had my wife do some interviews for smaller weddings. People from those weddings whom were in the bridal party came back and specificaly requested HER to do their wedding pics even though they were full on big dollar gigs.
What better reccomendation can you get than that?

Only times I have ever been the assistant, packhorse, driver at weddings has been for her and I am never in any doubt as to my place on these jobs either.

I knew my wife was awesome well before that though. Just after we met I got into the glamour/ figure/ nude market and she supported me all the way. I have been asked 1000 times, " What does your wife say about you going off and shooting all these Naked women?"

For the people I have to be business like with, I give them the professional answer... " She understands it's just my work and nothing more"

For the people I can be frank with and tell the honest truth to, The answer is " What she normally says is " How much did they spend?"

Really, that's all she cares about because the translation of her inqiry is " How much can -I- Now go and spend?"

Nov 07, 2014 at 05:10 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

Congrats...Very envious. I wish I could say the same about my hubby, but as much as he says he wants to be a part of the team, it never happens. Would love for him to come on board.

Anyways, really nice and again congrats, I think that's a HUGE bonus to your business!

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · when you find out your wife is f... awesome

eephoto wrote:
Congrats...Very envious. I wish I could say the same about my hubby, but as much as he says he wants to be a part of the team, it never happens. Would love for him to come on board.

Anyways, really nice and again congrats, I think that's a HUGE bonus to your business!

It is. But more important it is a huge bonus for our private life. I have a day job and we took on 25 wedding 2014. We would not see each other much, when she would not be on board. We simply have a great day when we are out shooting a wedding.

heiko

Nov 20, 2014 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.