New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

deepz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

hi all,

I am quite familiar with the DSLR world of camera and lenses, however not so with the point n shoot world.

Can anyone guide me with the best point n shoot camera to buy in terms of features, value for money and IQ.

My budget is around 200-250$.

Any help is appreciated.

Nov 01, 2014 at 09:45 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

For that money you should be able to get a used RX100, which will be better than any new PS in that budget. Most PS cameras in that budget will be outdone by an iPhone 6 or similar, anyway - you need good glass and sensor (and raw capture) to differentiate yourself from a cell phone.

Nov 01, 2014 at 10:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

Do you have a smart phone? If so, will it do what you need?

Nov 01, 2014 at 10:52 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

What kind of product are you contemplating using images for...
- digital display; social networking, etc.
- printing smallish prints; snapshots
- something else...

What size, shirt pocket, pants pocket, cargo pants or photo vest pocket, belt pouch, etc.
Do you need video, WiFi, GPS, fixed or articulated LCD, a touch screen, a viewfinder, a wired remote switch, etc.

Figure out the features you must have then find the camera that best fits it's purpose

I've used Canon's A95, SX260HS, G12 and they all have served me well. A good friend swears by his RX100II and it can produce some fantastic images; he uses his for street photography and family get togethers.

There are so many good choices, tough call actually, even my cell phone gets some imaging done

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

My personal favorites on the used market:

G1X -- For at, or just over $300, has the best IQ with largest sensor size for any P&S zoom. Great at high ISO. 28-110mm equiv. Nearly 15MP.

G10 -- Great low ISO IQ (80-100) at 15MP resolution. Under $200, some deals closer to $100. 28-140mm equiv.

S110 -- Great zoom range with 24mm wide angle equiv. Smallest size. 24-120mm equiv for a 12MP sensor.

Nov 02, 2014 at 12:29 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

I have a Fuji X10 that i like a lot. You can probably get the replacement X20 in your budget.

Nov 02, 2014 at 03:12 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

Gunzorro wrote:
My personal favorites on the used market:

G1X -- For at, or just over $300, has the best IQ with largest sensor size for any P&S zoom. Great at high ISO. 28-110mm equiv. Nearly 15MP.

G10 -- Great low ISO IQ (80-100) at 15MP resolution. Under $200, some deals closer to $100. 28-140mm equiv.

S110 -- Great zoom range with 24mm wide angle equiv. Smallest size. 24-120mm equiv for a 12MP sensor.

My sentiments exactly.

My G1X is my non-Dslr travel cam, my S110 is my exceptionally good value RAW shooting pocket cam and my G10 was my travel cam, but is *severely* ISO limited, but at 200 ISO and under is exceptional

The G1X really is stunning for a small camera (but you have to go into macro mode a lot, although this can only take about a second to do)

If you want to buy Canon I'd look at these, but the other manufacturers have come out with some brilliant cams too

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:36 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

I use a Panasonic TS4. It can go anywhere my dslr or mirrirless cannot. Otherwise I use my phone.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

One of the most important contrubitors to image quality (IQ) is sensor size. I have three compact P&S cameras: RX100, S110, and ELPH 330HS, with decreasing sensor size and decreasing IQ, in the order listed. In comparison with mobile phones, even my "low end" 330HS is way better. I posted a comparison of the ELHP and my Galaxy Note 3 (which has a good camera, as far as mobile phones go), earlier this year. It makes sense to use a smart phone or tablet (or phablet) instead of a decent P&S camera if convenience is your highest priority, not IQ.

ELPH vs GN3 https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1277151

The DPR "Roundup: Enthusiast Zoom Compact Cameras" is worth a read. It's almost two years old, yet the S110 and RX100 still stand out. Newer versions of both cameras exist (S120, RX100 II, and RX100 III).

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

You might find a used RX100 for under $250, definitely for under $300. The RX100 and S110 both save RAW and/or JPG files, while the 330HS only saves JPG.

Finally, I've attached a summary of specs for my three P&S cameras. Many people aren't aware that sensor sizes for P&S cameras are quoted with respect to a cinema lens measurement quantity, based on the image circle required to provide decent IQ within the smaller film frame or sensor size. I've included the common "sensor size names" for my P&S cameras, along with the diagonal of these sensors, in inches. You can see that the RX100 "one inch" sensor has a sensor diagonal of just over one-half inch. For comparison, the diagonal of an APS-C "1.6x CF" sensor is about 1.1", and a FF sensor is about 1.7".

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:48 AM
deepz

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

Thanks everyone...i rather stick to my phone camera

Nov 04, 2014 at 06:58 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

You might want to take a quick look at the Canon EOS M. This is a P&S sized interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C sized sensor (same sensor as in Canon's cropped DSLR's). These sometimes sell new for ~ $250. You can find a used one for close to your price range. The two most popular lenses are the EF-M 22mm STM (35mm equiv.) and the EF-M 18-55mm. With the EF-M Canon adapter, the body can use EF-S and EF lenses.

Nov 05, 2014 at 09:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

When I shoot small I dopn't want to give up reach, This is at 624MM (according to Faststone) I couldnt see the squirrel from my vantage point, but the camera did. Panasonic FZ200. Handheld. Had I tried this with a D800 and 600MM lens it would have puled me over the railing of the balcony I was on. BTW, my phonecam is a POS.

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:36 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Point n shoot cameras - Which one to buy

Here's one a bit closer, but still listed at 200+ I was playing with bounce flash to see if the camera could handle it. I know, the tree needs vacuuming. We are still in shedding season here. I'm not sure which of us is shedding more.

Nov 05, 2014 at 10:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.