New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

Jkershaw

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

Hi

I am an amateur photographer pursuing documentary projects. I have decided to make the leap from my Nikon D7000 system to Fuji. I am drawn to the simplicity of the x100 series. But I am also a one camera guy still...and the thought of not being able to have a couple of lenses for other styles of shooting is a little disconcerting. The reviews of the XT-1 have been quite amazing.

I have wondered about picking up for the XT-1 with the XF 27mm pancake to begin with, then have the ability to build up from there if I choose. I realize the 27 is not equivalent to the x100 lens, but the size comes close.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your opinions.

Nov 01, 2014 at 02:18 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I'd get an X-E2 or X-E1, some lenses, and wait for the Xpro2 to come out.

Nov 01, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Jkershaw

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

It seems that I read mixed reviews about the X-E2. An improvement over the X-E1...but I wasn't considering either of these. And how much different will the x pro 2 be from the X t1?

Nov 01, 2014 at 03:12 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I look at it in another way. How much different is the X-T1 compared with the X-E2 and what are my priorities?

(1) Sensor/IQ - no change
(2) Body styles are different. The X-E2 is more range finder like and the X-T1 is more DSLR like
(3) AF - both are relatively quick
(4) AF-C - the X-T1 is a better, but neither are great.
(5) Dials and manual controls - XT-1 wins hands down.
It depends mostly on what you want. If ergonomics and manual controls are important then the X-T1 might win in that category. Certainly IQ has not changed.

What I personally want is a 24 MP mirrorless with great AF-C (not OK...but great AF-C). Since the X-T1 does not have exactly what I want, I am content to save some cash (for collection of more excellent Fuji glass), shoot with the X-E2 and wait to see what the next Fuji generation will look like. As a long time Canon shooter I have learned to be patient and wait for what I view is a significant upgrade. The files that come out of the X-E2/1 are the same beautiful files (same excellent Fuji glass) as compared with the X-T1.

Nov 01, 2014 at 04:27 PM
Jkershaw

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

It's so interesting to hear "not great" sensor. I have read and heard that it is one THE best cropped sensors on the market.

Thanks for your opinions! I will take a closer look at the X-E2 and compare.

Nov 01, 2014 at 04:33 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I said nothing about the sensor not being great. AF-C stands for continuous auto focus.

Nov 01, 2014 at 04:35 PM
Jkershaw

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

My oversight. Thanks for the correction.

Nov 01, 2014 at 04:52 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

Maybe consider renting first? Lensrentals makes it so easy to try new things. For the cost of rental they have saved me from buying many types of gear I thought I "had" to have. On the other hand, I never thought I needed a the Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 for my newly acquired EM-1, but after a rental then I bought one for myself. It's a double edged sword I guess.

PS - I would have thought that there would have been lots of other people jumping in on this thread. Quiet day I guess.

Nov 01, 2014 at 07:52 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

Jkershaw wrote:
It's so interesting to hear "not great" sensor. I have read and heard that it is one THE best cropped sensors on the market.

Thanks for your opinions! I will take a closer look at the X-E2 and compare.

The base sensor is one of the best cropped sensors on the market. However the Fuji X-Trans technology has some challenges in its basic design and also in the implementation. Currently the best IQ available from 16MP APS-C bodies comes from non-Fuji cameras (arguably the Pentax K-5s II is the best) and your D7000 will actually beat the Fuji in terms of base IQ. RAW conversion has been a challenge although you can get decent quality conversions from most of the major RAW converters now. The Fuji's have a well earned reputation for superb colour.

Fuji's implementation also is somewhat unusual and it's worth noting that their rated ISO's are about 2/3rds of a stop higher than what you actually get (ie ISO 200 is in reality more like ISO 125, and ISO 6400 is more like ISO 4000). Personally I didn't mind this as I'd rather have ISO 125 than a true 6400.

Also the current generation of 24MP APS-C cameras have pushed state of the art beyond the 16MP sensors.

It's also worth noting that all the X mount bodies except the X-A1, and also including the X100s and X100t share the same basic sensor (they differ on the presence of PDAF assist and the processing chain). So IQ is essentially a wash between the X Pro1 and the X100t (respectively the oldest and newest of these bodies).

I actually just did the opposite switch of what you're looking at, coming from Fuji (X-E1) to Nikon (D200, D3200 and D700). But I switched primarily due to other factors (I prefer the larger D200 and D700 bodies handling)

Nov 01, 2014 at 08:36 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I kept 2 cameras my D700 and a couple MF lens and bought the Fuji x100s
The fuji gives me great jpeg's and I like small and light
The only downside for me is the EVF I still have a hard time getting used to it
In bright Florida sunlight it is hard to see and in dim light I have the same problem
I switch to the OVF and everything is great I hope when the XPRO 2 comes out it will keep both finders as having only an EVF is hard for me

Reagan

Nov 03, 2014 at 12:29 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I was thinking of the X-E2 and X-T1 and choose the X-T1 for its features.

I also bought the 27mm (besides 3 other lenses) and it makes the X-T1 a nice compact set. By the way, the 27mm is a very sharp lens.

The X-trans sensor is great IMO giving nice colors, good dynamic range and good high ISO performance. I process my RAW files in LR and am happy with the results.

Before changing to Fuji I owned a Canon 5DII and several L-lenses. Sold them all because I'm happy with my Fuji setup

Nov 03, 2014 at 03:20 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

Just to add another opinion to the mix. I sold my D7100 and got the X-T1 and love it's weight/handling with the 27mm pancake. Seems that adding any bigger lens, even the kit 18-55, creates a DSLRish size that takes me down the rabbit hole of wanting an additional large hand-grip/battery pack/blackrapid strap. Ok, to be fair, its still a light weight package. It just dulls the love affair.

I did fall in love with the X100 I handled in the camera shop, so this all makes sense. I just have to get over the feeling that a body with a fixed FL lens is a poor investment.

Nov 03, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

galenapass wrote:
.... How much different is the X-T1 compared with the X-E2 and what are my priorities?

(1) Sensor/IQ - no change
(2) Body styles are different. The X-E2 is more range finder like and the X-T1 is more DSLR like
(3) AF - both are relatively quick
(4) AF-C - the X-T1 is a better, but neither are great.
(5) Dials and manual controls - XT-1 wins hands down.

It depends mostly on what you want. If ergonomics and manual controls are important then the X-T1 might win in that category. Certainly IQ has not changed.

Fine summary.

Lenses and sensors - same. AF - pretty much same. Ergonomics - different. So, imho you need handle both to decide. Me, I chose the one where I could consistently smear the rear screen with nose oil ...

Nov 03, 2014 at 05:26 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I switched from Nikon to Fuji a year ago and have never looked back. This is how I make a living too, so that must say something about Fuji.

I have the XE1, XE2, 2 XT1, X100s, Rokinon 8 and 85 1.4, Fuji 14, 23, 35, 56, 55-200

All amazing stuff. With that said, my XT1 is my workhorse. Its usually paired with the 23 or 56. The XE2 is either my fisheye or 85 and my XE1 is my dedicated b&w camera

I vote you get the XT1 and the 35.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

Jkershaw wrote:
Hi

I am an amateur photographer pursuing documentary projects. I have decided to make the leap from my Nikon D7000 system to Fuji. I am drawn to the simplicity of the x100 series. But I am also a one camera guy still...and the thought of not being able to have a couple of lenses for other styles of shooting is a little disconcerting. The reviews of the XT-1 have been quite amazing.

I have wondered about picking up for the XT-1 with the XF 27mm pancake to begin with, then have the ability to build up from there if I choose.
...Show more

I've owned the X-T1 and a set of their great prime lenses (including the 23mm and 56mm) before selling the body. I now own the X100T and I believe it has to be the best Fujifilm for me.

If you want to consider staying with a camera for the long term, I'd consider the X-T1. It will not match the dSLR for speed and autofocus tracking. If you want simplicity, the X100T wins hands down. In fact, it is my favorite camera to use over the X-Pro1, X-M1, and the Canon 5D III with all the lenses. There are so many features packed into the X100T because the X100 series have gone through so many refinements. Might want to consider getting the wide angle and tele converters for the X100T. But you'd have to compare the costs and value.

Consider renting both cameras first to get a feel for it. Every person have their own personal preferences.

Nov 14, 2014 at 02:12 PM
jeremymeier
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji x100t or XT-1

I've owned (4) copies of the original X100 to date because I kept getting into the mindset that I needed bigger better gear, and I have both lens adapters as well. They are fantastic cameras in just about every regard. I currently have a Leica X Vario that is superbly sharp but looking to maybe trade that for an X100T so I can have a main and backup camera that use the same battery and lens adapters.... You just can't go wrong with Fuji....

Jan 05, 2015 at 10:47 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.