Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fuji X print quality and size?

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X print quality and size?

Hello

Lots of great images posted using the Fuji system. Is anyone making prints of their images and if so
1) how do you feel the quality of the print is compared to other systems you have used
2) what is the largest print you have made with the Fuji x sensor

Thanks for the input

Nov 01, 2014 at 05:28 AM
psimison
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X print quality and size?

I shot some models at ISO 1200 with the 56mm lens. Printed them at 24 by 36 and they are gorgeous. I was surprised. All available light.

Nov 01, 2014 at 07:42 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X print quality and size?

24"x36" all the time
I just sold all my Canon equipment

Nov 01, 2014 at 08:19 AM
rlacy55337
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X print quality and size?

I have printed several 20 x 30's taken with the E-X1 and the 18-55. Great looking prints. The previous reply said they had sold all of their Canon equipment. I have now sold all of my Nikon cameras and lenses.

Ron

Nov 01, 2014 at 09:07 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X print quality and size?

I print 20x30 inch prints from my X-E2 and the print quality is excellent. I also sold my Canon FF system.

Sal

Nov 01, 2014 at 10:57 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X print quality and size?

24x36 canvas from this X100s image

16MP is more than enough for that size, larger and you'll wish for at least 20-24MP (IMO)

also made an 8x12 print from an X-Pro1 ISO3200 image, turned out great and I can't see any issues printing it larger either

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:22 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X print quality and size?

I've done plenty of 24x36 from Fuji X-camera.

Then again, I've also done 24x36 from my original 4meg Canon 1D, and I think those are still nice prints and are still on my walls.....

What this tells us is that there is no absolute rules for print sizes and its totally subjective.

I think anyone using Fuji X cameras no doubt is happy with the image quality. At the same time, I think other people using D800's, MFDB's et al., probably use those systems because that is what they feel is "required" for them to be happy with the image quality.

Makes the question kind of redundant in a sense, because any group of users for a specific product likely continue using it because they are happy with.

Wouldn't expect too many people to say they shoot Fuji X but hate the image quality they get from it. Those people, who have an equally valid opinion, likely moved to something else already

Nov 01, 2014 at 12:26 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X print quality and size?

24 x 36

Millisart makes a good point: People who have and continue to shoot these systems probably find them adequate.

I find it adequate. I'd also enjoy more resolution for landscapes in particular. But I've also had double-page spreads in national/international glossies that I shot with an old 5D @ 12mp that looked wonderful.

Nov 01, 2014 at 02:33 PM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X print quality and size?

Thanks for the replies. Part of my question is: do you think your Fuji X delivers print quality as good or better than your Nikon and Canon gear?

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:27 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X print quality and size?

allstarimaging wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Part of my question is: do you think your Fuji X delivers print quality as good or better than your Nikon and Canon gear?

Prints look at least as good as my Canon 5DII in apparent resolution, probably due to the Canon's AA filter. Tonality is better in the Fuji prints because shadow/highlight recovery is cleaner and more flexible. That's why I didn't keep the Canon.

Sal

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:08 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X print quality and size?

Sal Baker wrote:
Prints look at least as good as my Canon 5DII in apparent resolution, probably due to the Canon's AA filter. Tonality is better in the Fuji prints because shadow/highlight recovery is cleaner and more flexible. That's why I didn't keep the Canon.

Sal

I have had a similar experience. When I initially bought the X-E2 it was to complement my 5DII and Canon gear. In fact, I bought the Fuji simply because I was tired of waiting for Canon to release a high MP camera so I started looking around at other options (mostly thought about going back to Nikon) and became interested in mirrorless. After a lot of comparison with the 5DII I concluded that the prints from Fuji looked better due to tonality (as Sal mentioned), and after pixel peeping the 5DII only gave marginally better resolution - less than I would have thought based on the difference in paper specs between the 2 cameras. Fuji has some great glass, at reasonable cost, and after a few more lenses the 5DII pretty much sat on the shelf. I was only using my Canon gear for wildlife, but everything else was Fuji. In fact one thing that surprised me was how well the xtrans did at higher ISOs compared to the 5DII.
When the A7 series came out I almost bought one (and I still may) but on a lark I bought a Sigma DP2M, and that was it for Canon. Fuji gives me my everyday shots, Merrills give me high res, and now Olympus gives me long lenses for wildlife. I sold all the Canon gear.

When I travel I that is usually my biggest opportunity for taking pictures. Mirrorless makes that so much easier. I have digressed a little OT but print quality is just one facet. If you don't have your gear with you to take shots, what does print quality matter?

Nov 02, 2014 at 07:36 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.