Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

phuang3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

I got two copies. Both used. One is 3 CAM (sn:369xxxx), and the other is ROM (sn:380xxxx) as a backup. As I mostly use the 3 CAM, and didn't notice that they are actually a bit different. The ROM version can focus past infinity, but the 3CAM can't. I am wondering if this is normal, because I also found the ROM version seems to have optical problem close to infinity. The image gets a bit blurry and this won't happen on the 3 CAM version. What's yours?

http://kspqm.kymco.com/ckfinder/resource/johnny/image/Elmar80-200.jpg

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:05 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

phuang3 wrote:
I got two copies. Both used. One is 3 CAM (sn:369xxxx), and the other is ROM (sn:380xxxx) as a backup. As I mostly use the 3 CAM, and didn't notice that they are actually a bit different. The ROM version can focus past infinity, but the 3CAM can't. I am wondering if this is normal, because I also found the ROM version seems to have optical problem close to infinity. The image gets a bit blurry and this won't happen on the 3 CAM version. What's yours?

http://kspqm.kymco.com/ckfinder/resource/johnny/image/Elmar80-200.jpg

I have a ROM version and it too can focus past infinity. I have not noticed the lens to have a problem close to infinity, but I would need to check it more carefully to confirm this.

Rich

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:12 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

Thanks for the feedback. I think there is something wrong with my lens. It could be decentering problem. There is always risk buying used gears.

Nov 01, 2014 at 09:05 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

I believe that ROM version allow the focus to past infinity to accommodate using IR on film. So this is normal but I don't know if your ROM lens may be defective or de-centered.

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:11 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

I had the ROM version up until recently and it was blisteringly sharp when focused (properly) around infinity.

The problem was that it was very finicky to find that "crisp" focus and it was far too easily turned out of focus just a little bit which made it slow in practical use. Especially when I was working the zoom ring I would sometimes knock it out of focus ever so slightly causing blurred images or necessitating refocus after zooming in/out. I have never used a lens that is so picky to focus on near infinity and I found that in the end I didn't have a high keeper rate and (reluctantly) sold of the lens.

Nov 01, 2014 at 03:38 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

I had a ROM version that I recall focused past infinity, but it was sharp across the range at infinity when focused correctly.

Nov 01, 2014 at 05:25 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

kosmoskatten wrote:
I had the ROM version up until recently and it was blisteringly sharp when focused (properly) around infinity.

The problem was that it was very finicky to find that "crisp" focus and it was far too easily turned out of focus just a little bit which made it slow in practical use. Especially when I was working the zoom ring I would sometimes knock it out of focus ever so slightly causing blurred images or necessitating refocus after zooming in/out. I have never used a lens that is so picky to focus on near infinity and I found that in
...Show more

Yes, its focus is tricky. The problem is the steep focus, and so is the little brother - 35-70/f4. On the other hand, the 70-180 is way much better in this regard, but it's too heavy for travel.

Nov 01, 2014 at 08:04 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

pdmphoto wrote:
I had a ROM version that I recall focused past infinity, but it was sharp across the range at infinity when focused correctly.

Yes, in my body of text I failed to mention that my ROM version focuses past infinity too, as they "should" but which also makes it tricky to focus around/near infinity.

The steep focus makes it quite abrupt going from tack sharp to off in a fraction of a turn. I did find it much easier to use at close range but for that I have more suitable lenses.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:46 AM
cajer

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Different version of Leica 80-200 zoom?

Is there an adpater with electrical contacts to Sony E mount, to communicate focal length to the camera? I'm wondering as this would allow it camera to autoset IBIS focal length, so I don't have to manually set it everytimr I zoom.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:58 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.