Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

bvphotos wrote:
Sorry if I'm being dense. But how is it different from the zoom function for magnified focus on the 6D or the X-E1. With a touch of a button you can get a magnified view on both these (and presumably a lot of other) cameras? I guess I'm missing something here.

Right, the issue is whether it takes one or two button pushes to actuate a magnified view. On NEX series, you jump to magnified view in one push, on A7 and A6000, you have to push the button twice. I consider this a subtle but distinct disadvantage for a manual focus shooter.

Further, it means that there is discordant behavior within the E-series line, whereby a professional shooter of manual focus lenses cannot have the newer cameras employed at the same time as an older NEX. The reason is that this behavior will completely screw you up if you have to change between cameras, or just switch your MF lens to a backup body (say from A7 to Nex 7, or vice versa).

Other manufacturers like olympus and panasonic have a one touch system. Sony, well, they chose to give it up, and gave MF users NO recourse to revert to the old one touch system.

On a professional level, it means nobody at Sony actually field tests their cameras with working photographers. Such a shocking change in workflow would be the same thing as if I asked you to click your mouse on your computer an extra time to do the things you do with one less click now.

Open a folder with two clicks? Well, now I am asking you to use three clicks... could you even modify your behavior if I asked you? Nothing from nothing, but I lost ALL confidence in Sony as a professional system after they made the switch. Again, people tell me I am over reacting, but as a MF shooter, I can tell you that learned behavior is the secret to getting good shots, and if such behavior is two button pushes instead of one, it can mean the death of usability. Just my 2ç.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:49 PM
bvphotos
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

Taran, got it. It's a one-touch interface on the X-E1 too. So what system do you use for your MF work now?

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:11 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

Hm, I have Sony A35 and its two-click system too for MF. Very annoying..

My S5 Pro fitted with focusing screen for MF is actually way faster for manual focus than that. Not that accurate tho, but its APS-C sized OVF, so no wonder..

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:35 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

To be fair, though, I have my a7 programmed for 1 button zoom. That is one of the nice things about Sony and Olympus is the remapping of buttons. I think I set it towhat is usuallythe ael.

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:37 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

I have the top Olympus, Fuji and Sony mirrorless cameras. I find the Sony the easiest to focus with manual lenses, but it's still a slow process.

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

TheEmrys wrote:
To be fair, though, I have my a7 programmed for 1 button zoom.

1 button is normal. If you mean 1-click I would like to know how.

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:53 PM
taran
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

TheEmrys wrote:
To be fair, though, I have my a7 programmed for 1 button zoom. That is one of the nice things about Sony and Olympus is the remapping of buttons. I think I set it towhat is usuallythe ael.

You still have to push that button twice to achieve magnification.

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:11 PM
taran
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

bvphotos wrote:
Taran, got it. It's a one-touch interface on the X-E1 too. So what system do you use for your MF work now?

I still use Sony, but NEX 6 and 7.

I want to use my A7s and a6000, but in all likelihood I will have to sell them because the two button push system is so stupid it makes it impossible to shoot with manual focus lenses. Sad too, because the system was just right with NEX 7 and 6. Even sadder, a firmware update could fix it easily, but Sony doesn't take it seriously.

Changing behavior such as this means that Sony doesn't employ a single professional "alt" manual focus shooter when testing their cameras. Quite disturbing.

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:26 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

My 5DII was better in some ways for manual focus lenses than my A7r. Definately for fast lenses using a properly shimmed Eg-S screen. And, I could still use the LCD for magnified manual focus. Reviewing shots for exposure and sharpness was always better on my 5DII.

Nov 03, 2014 at 03:03 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran wrote:
I still use Sony, but NEX 6 and 7.

I want to use my A7s and a6000, but in all likelihood I will have to sell them because the two button push system is so stupid it makes it impossible to shoot with manual focus lenses. Sad too, because the system was just right with NEX 7 and 6. Even sadder, a firmware update could fix it easily, but Sony doesn't take it seriously.

Changing behavior such as this means that Sony doesn't employ a single professional "alt" manual focus shooter when testing their cameras. Quite disturbing.

I found it rather annoying in the beginning as well but I got used to it and now my timing has improved so much that it isn't an issue any more. Is it a stupid move by Sony? Yes! but I wouldn'zt sell this great camera because of it.

Nov 03, 2014 at 05:03 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran wrote:
I want to use my A7s and a6000, but in all likelihood I will have to sell them because the two button push system is so stupid it makes it impossible to shoot with manual focus lenses.

While I agree that I don't like the two button clicks required, it certainly does not make it impossible to shoot with manual focus lenses, that is pure hyperbole which doesn't help the discussion.

Nov 03, 2014 at 06:17 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

pdmphoto wrote:
My 5DII was better in some ways for manual focus lenses than my A7r. Definately for fast lenses using a properly shimmed Eg-S screen. And, I could still use the LCD for magnified manual focus. Reviewing shots for exposure and sharpness was always better on my 5DII.

That's interesting - I found the opposite true since I also have the 5D MkII. I find the A7R much better to review photos inside the viewfinder than I was able to do this on the LCD screen of the 5D MkII. Focusing also much easier with MF lenses on the A7R with focus peaking and magnification tool.

Nov 03, 2014 at 08:52 AM
taran
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

carstenw wrote:
While I agree that I don't like the two button clicks required, it certainly does not make it impossible to shoot with manual focus lenses, that is pure hyperbole which doesn't help the discussion.

im·pos·si·ble imˈpäsəb l adjective: impossible: very difficult to deal with.

Above you can find the definition of impossible, it isn't necessarily an absolute term, and has been employed correctly as per the post you quoted.
------

This has been happening for a year now, Sony has no intention of fixing things because of moderate attitudes. Hyperbole, as you describe it, is all I have. I will continue to use words like "broken" and "removal of features" and "impossible" for A6000 and A7 Manual focus until Sony gives me a firmware update that restores the MF functionality of my NEX 7. I have nothing to lose, and am not "discussing" anything, because Sony didn't discuss it with me.

I would prefer manufacturers give us more options rather than force behavior on their customers, perhaps we can agree on that?

Cameras are personal things. Do I find manual focusing "impossible" on the newer ILCE range? Indeed I do.

Nov 03, 2014 at 01:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran wrote:

Above you can find the definition of impossible, it isn't necessarily an absolute term, and has been employed correctly as per the post you quoted.
------

This has been happening for a year now, Sony has no intention of fixing things because of moderate attitudes. Hyperbole, as you describe it, is all I have. I will continue to use words like "broken" and "removal of features" and "impossible" for A6000 and A7 Manual focus until Sony gives me a firmware update that restores the MF functionality of my NEX 7. I
...Show more

Somehow it is possible for me to use the A7R with MF lenses. Regarding the magnification tool, I just wish it would stay magnified when pressing the shutter release button. But otherwise - what's the big deal?

Nov 03, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran wrote:

------

This has been happening for a year now, Sony has no intention of fixing things because of moderate attitudes. Hyperbole, as you describe it, is all I have. I will continue to use words like "broken" and "removal of features" and "impossible" for A6000 and A7 Manual focus until Sony gives me a firmware update that restores the MF functionality of my NEX 7. I
...Show more

Your joking right. You do realize that the definition of impossible that you quoted is typically used for a person and not an action. As in Joe is impossible. I hate every time I have to talk to him. When impossible is used to describe an action and you say it is impossible then it does not mean it is difficult to deal with. Rather it means that it is not possible to carry out the action. If you mean the action is difficult, then you can just say difficult, but if you say impossible that means it isn't possible. You must know that and you are just trolling.

Nov 03, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran wrote:

In all fairness, I think common usage of the term impossible as being "very difficult to deal with" applies to persons. I think when referring to a mechanical process the common usage of impossible means "unable to be done or happen."

I use my A7r exclusively with MF lenses. I think it would be fair to say the double click is an "annoyance" not "impossible."

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Edit: Sorry Steve - I posted before I saw your post with which I obviously agree.

Nov 03, 2014 at 02:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

taran wrote:

Don't act like a bag of guano, of course it is possible to use the two-click process, regardless of how badly you read dictionaries. I use it all the time. Would I prefer something more streamlined, yes, but you are off the deep end with your hyperbole here.

Perhaps you should post some photos in your Top 15 so that we may get some perspective on where you are coming from.

Nov 03, 2014 at 06:12 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The best camera body for MF lenses?

There are those who rise to the occasion and use their equipment well, regardless of its deficiencies.

Nov 03, 2014 at 07:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.