Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Pedro Claro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

I've searched the web but there's no review or even a first hand experience report with this new lens. It seems there's not much interest in it, albeit FTM graphs being comparable to 24-105L but price substantially lower (in Europe the STM can be found for 415€, while the L costs easily 200€ more).

Does anybody own this lens or have a first hand experience to share? I'd be particularly interested in a comparision with the L version (which I've owned). Thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2014 at 05:32 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

I don't have any experience with this lens either, but a comaparison between this and the L version would be very interesting. Good question indeed !

Oct 31, 2014 at 06:21 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Too early I think. It's on preorder at Adorama and B&H.

I'd love to know too. Bryan at The Digital Picture has this: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

which I take as he'll review it when he gets his hands on one.

Oct 31, 2014 at 06:45 AM
Pedro Claro
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Yes, I agree that may be a bit early, although the lens seems to be already available in Europe.

I'm eyeing the usual places (TDP, Photozone) on a nearly daily basis, but to no avail.

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:26 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

TDP Have posted their 24-105 IS STM review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

Dec 18, 2014 at 02:03 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

For the most part it's worse than the olden f/4.

EBH

Dec 18, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Yeah, that review seems lukewarm.

Dec 18, 2014 at 04:06 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

It must be one of the very few average new Canon lenses then. The recent arrivals have generally been really good.

Dec 18, 2014 at 04:08 AM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

This shouldn't really come as a surprise. The f/4L isn't spectacular to begin with and Canon isn't going to build a lower model that trumps it. In all honesty though, it's probably a fine lens.

Dec 18, 2014 at 04:49 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

sb in ak wrote:
The f/4L isn't spectacular to begin with and Canon isn't going to build a lower model that trumps it. In all honesty though, it's probably a fine lens.

I know the f4l isn't great, I've tried three and the one I have isn't as good as my Tamron 28-75, but I don't see the point of 'updating' the FF kit lens with one that isn't as good as the one before, when that one wasn't great anyway

Dec 18, 2014 at 04:54 AM
Pedro Claro
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

It seems a good lens, quite similar to 24-105/4L IS, which I owned. Due to the price difference to the other options (24-105/4L IS, 24-70/4L IS, and Sigma 24-105/4 OS) - at least in Europe -, I think it's a good alternative.

Dec 18, 2014 at 06:57 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Most of the things I've read on the FM forums has been pretty positive about the 24-105 IS, so I'm a bit surprised to see here its not looked upon too well.

Dec 18, 2014 at 07:10 AM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Let me preface this by saying I am a fan of the 24-105L. I guess I have a good copy, and I have always liked that zoom range starting with the old 28-105 in film days. Horses for courses I guess. I ordered the new lens on pre-order due to the STM. I first used it on an outdoor engagement session a couple of weeks ago. I think the review posted above pretty much says it all very accurately. If used with thought to it's intended purpose, strengths and weaknesses, it is a very useful lens. I think I will like having this lens in the bag.

I have not had time to use it for video yet but hope to do so after the Christmas crunch. While not what I would call extremely fast to focus, it is not that slow either. It does seem to give a very good ratio of in focus shots. Mind you this is on a 5DMKIII and I have not tried it on any of the older cameras.

One thing that did impress me immediately, and I do not know if this is true of the rest of Canon's new releases, was the IS. After taking it out of the box and taking a few test shots I took a few shots in the studio off my office where the lights were off. As I recall, the ISO was at 400, 5.6, at 105 focal length. I crouched on the floor and braced the camera against my forehead with the elbows tucked in. My resulting shutter speeds ranged from 4-8. With careful holding I was stunned quite frankly to get some shots that could have been taken on a tripod. I went back and shot some more as I could not believe what I was seeing. Same results and hand held has never been my strong suite. Canon IS is certainly a strong point.

Dec 18, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Bsmooth wrote:
Most of the things I've read on the FM forums has been pretty positive about the 24-105 IS, so I'm a bit surprised to see here its not looked upon too well.

The 24-105 LIS is a great lens for the focal lengths it covers. I can't even begin to count how much money I have made with that lens over the years. It died and I have moved on from Canon. Not as good as a prime... but at f8 & up mine was sharp as a tack across the lens. It is just not liked by pixel peepers for what ever that is worth.
This new one I have no idea.... as cheap as you can get the L I'm not sure why you would want it. JMO

Dec 18, 2014 at 07:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Bsmooth wrote:

It was basically OK 9 years ago on the 5D, but expectations are higher now. The 24-70/4 IS was an overpriced dud, so there is no joy that the STM is mediocre. Perhaps now the STM is out as a cheapie/kit lens, there will be a possibility of upgrading the 24-105/4 IS to a new version at a slightly higher price. Of course it may die off as well, who knows. I'm not thrilled with the 24-120 Nikkor either.

EBH

Dec 18, 2014 at 08:00 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

dhphoto wrote:
I know the f4l isn't great, I've tried three and the one I have isn't as good as my Tamron 28-75, but I don't see the point of 'updating' the FF kit lens with one that isn't as good as the one before, when that one wasn't great anyway

Neither do I, but maybe they are thinking full frame rebel?

Dec 18, 2014 at 08:00 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

Bsmooth wrote:

There's are a lot of positive things to be said about the 24-105L. It's really versatile and for the most part the image quality is "good enough." Personally, I don't care for it much because I don't think I work very creatively with it (I've owned two of em in the past). I'm going to sound like snob, but I hate being limited to f/4. Something like a 35mm prime really forces my creative hand. I do better "stuck in a box." But that's just me...not you!

Dec 18, 2014 at 08:09 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

No experience with this lens but I'm interested!

Seems to me that price will be particularly important with this lens, if the UK price settles downwards in a year or two I will probably pick one up. If the retail stays fairly close to the initial price I won't bother.

If its a real budget lens then it might be useful.

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:16 AM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any first hand experience with Canon 24-105 STM?

sb in ak wrote:
There's are a lot of positive things to be said about the 24-105L. It's really versatile and for the most part the image quality is "good enough." Personally, I don't care for it much because I don't think I work very creatively with it (I've owned two of em in the past). I'm going to sound like snob, but I hate being limited to f/4. Something like a 35mm prime really forces my creative hand. I do better "stuck in a box." But that's just me...not you!

Agreed with you about the f/4 part. That may be what tips the scale for me as to keeping this lens. I hate that it is f/3.5-5.6. As far as the 24-105L, as stated, I seem to have gotten a good copy without some issues that others had early on and mine was an early copy. It has been a workhorse for me and suits my shooting style as I carry two 5DIII bodies and keep a 40 STM, 50 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.8 on one of the bodies. I have yet to try it with video which is why I bought it to give it a try given the jewel the little 40 STM has turned out to be. Again, I feel the review is pretty much spot on regarding this lens. It will suit some uses at a little less weight and considerably less price and does have very nice IS, but is not an L lens.

Dec 19, 2014 at 07:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.