FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Macro lens for jewelry/watches

jcslone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro lens for jewelry/watches

So I have a Nikkor 55/3.5 AI right now that I use for my macro work, but I've had difficulty in the past properly framing some shots and I need a TON of light to get things illuminated properly. What would be a good lens on a budget ($500 or less) for this kind of work? I really prefer a manual lens for this kinda stuff so I'm open to some of the older Nikkors as well as 3rd party lenses. Should I go the budget route or save for a high end Nikkor or Zeiss? Oh and this is going on a Nikon D3000 (crop sensor).

TIA!

Josh

Oct 31, 2014 at 01:01 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro lens for jewelry/watches

jcslone wrote:
So I have a Nikkor 55/3.5 AI right now that I use for my macro work, but I've had difficulty in the past properly framing some shots and I need a TON of light to get things illuminated properly. What would be a good lens on a budget ($500 or less) for this kind of work? I really prefer a manual lens for this kinda stuff so I'm open to some of the older Nikkors as well as 3rd party lenses. Should I go the budget route or save for a high end Nikkor or Zeiss? Oh and this is
...Show more

I don't know about Nikon fit but my go-to macro lens is a Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron) 105mm macro. The front element is recessed about 10mm but, where there is room, I still use a deep (35mm) hood. Matched TCs and/or Achromat supplementaries give me all the options I need for hand-held. The working distance is good too.

Harold

Oct 31, 2014 at 02:43 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.