• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Nice shots Scott!

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:25 AM
flannmic

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Wow! Just shot a high school football game at a stadium where I have shot at for many years. The flicker of the lights is absolutely terrible with some shots bright yellowish-green, some dark and purple and some half and half. I spend hours after each game in post working to make the shots decent. The new anti-flicker mode on the 7D Mark II is mind-blowing! I shot over 700 shots tonight and only 2 didn't get exposed at the peak of a light cycle and were off color. Only one was half & half. In other words, my photos were absolutely consistent in color temperature and lighting! In addition, because they were all exposed at the brightest point of the light cycles, I was able to have the highest shutter speed possible under those lights. Without flicker control there is often a 1.5 stop difference from photo to photo at this stadium!

High ISO noise is definitely worse than with my 5D Mark III (on a well-exposed image), but very usable. In addition, because of the consistency and always hitting the light cycles at their brightest point, I don't have to push any of the photos. Because I have to push many of my 5D Mark III photos shot at this stadium, the resulting noise can actually be worse than what I am seeing with the 7D Mark II.

Very happy with the results so far. Will be shooting at this same stadium Friday and can't wait! Sunday I'll be shooting at the Packers vs. Bears game. If it performs this well in a poorly-lit high school stadium, I can't wait to see what it does at Lambeau!!!

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Sy Sez wrote:
High ISO Noise reduction is applied by default, at ALL ISO levels, and will soften images to some degree depending on the levels set.
(See Manual/ Pg. 176).
Leigh

I thought NR was only applied to jpegs, not RAW.

Nov 04, 2014 at 01:24 AM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Scott Stoness wrote:
I hesitate to post these because they were a real torture test with the 7d2. 600mm, 1.4x, 1/2 cropped, snow, low light, off a moving tundra buggy but here are some really extreme shots from 7d2. And the first 3 were shot into the sun (well that is an exaggeration - it was quite overcast but vaguely into the sun

HEY ... nothing to be embarrassed by those shots - nice work Scott!

I was actually going to comment on the noise in the last image (yea, I know they are cropped also) and then realized HOLY COW, that was ISO 6400 ... that would be for emergency use only on my 7D, especially in flat light.

BTW, I'm surprised you had to use so much focal length - are there bears really that far away and/or are you just using the big guns to flatten the angle ... which looks very nice BTW.

Nov 04, 2014 at 01:59 AM
psidawd
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Any California or Hawaii 7dII users that would like to share some beach or surfing images? Ive never had any luck with the original 7d with noise and harsh looking files even both in and out of the water.

Im hoping the 7dII would produce some cleaner ocean oriented images or the 1div would be suited for my needs.

Nov 04, 2014 at 02:29 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

flannmic wrote:
Wow! Just shot a high school football game at a stadium where I have shot at for many years. The flicker of the lights is absolutely terrible with some shots bright yellowish-green, some dark and purple and some half and half. I spend hours after each game in post working to make the shots decent. The new anti-flicker mode on the 7D Mark II is mind-blowing! I shot over 700 shots tonight and only 2 didn't get exposed at the peak of a light cycle and were off color. Only one was half & half. In other words, my photos
...Show more

pics?

Nov 04, 2014 at 07:20 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Alek Komarnits wrote:
HEY ... nothing to be embarrassed by those shots - nice work Scott!

I was actually going to comment on the noise in the last image (yea, I know they are cropped also) and then realized HOLY COW, that was ISO 6400 ... that would be for emergency use only on my 7D, especially in flat light.

BTW, I'm surprised you had to use so much focal length - are there bears really that far away and/or are you just using the big guns to flatten the angle ... which looks very nice BTW.

I use the big lens to flatten the angle a bit (looking down does not make a great picture) but for close in shots I used my 200-400 and 5diii. Sorry I was not willing to give up on good shots for the sake of 7d2 posts So these are just my shots that were extreme attempts. What I screwed up on was noticing that the 1/mm auto setting I had set to shorter than 1/mm (nice new feature on the 7d2) but in retrospect I might have been able to drop an iso. Never take a new camera on a safari

Some of the "noise" in the first shots is a result of snow fall.

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:01 AM
johnkiv

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Does the focus point light up in AI servo in dark rooms, stage lighting? There was a firmware update in the 1Dx for this. Can you link spot meter to focus point? Those things would clinch the deal for me.

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:56 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

I thought NR was only applied to jpegs, not RAW.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/high_iso_noise_reduction_article.shtml

" However, while DPP can read the camera settings in effect at the time the images are taken, it tends to downplay the effect of the camera’s High ISO Noise Reduction. You may see little difference if you compare two RAW files, one with NR active, and one with it turned off."

"Little difference" is not No difference.

Leigh

Nov 04, 2014 at 10:53 AM
ruhikant
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Road Side Read Tailed Hawk. With Ef500/4IS MKI, F/5.6, ISO 640,handheld about 45% cropped and re-sized.
http://ruhikant.smugmug.com/Birds/7D2/i-ZpC5c6R/0/O/0I6A3406-latestgood.jpg

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:03 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Sy Sez wrote:
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/high_iso_noise_reduction_article.shtml

" However, while DPP can read the camera settings in effect at the time the images are taken, it tends to downplay the effect of the camera’s High ISO Noise Reduction. You may see little difference if you compare two RAW files, one with NR active, and one with it turned off."

"Little difference" is not No difference.

Leigh

If you read the article, JPEG images are assembled in-camera and then written to the memory card with NR applied if the selected feature is enabled. RAW images are assembeled in-computer and no in-camera NR is applied.

The reason why the article says..."Little difference" is because in-camera NR has no affect on RAW files only JPEG files and possibly a poor choice of words by the author.

Edited on Nov 04, 2014 at 12:39 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

mogud wrote:
If you read the article, JPEG images are assembled in camera and then written to the memory card with NR applied if the selected feature is enabled. RAW images are assembeled in-computer and no in-camera NR is applied.

The reason why the article says..."Little difference" is because in-camera NR has no affect on RAW files only JPEG files and possibly a poor choice of words by the author.

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Imagemaster wrote:

Just to add to less confusion - I hope. I will add. Noise compression, lens correction, srgb/adobergb, ..., or any other option the camera does not change the pixel data in the raw, all it does is notes that you selected it, and records the other data that is collected and flags to the raw conversion engine (dpp, aperture, lR.. ) that you would like it to process in a different way by default (which some engines permit changing). So camera data is not changed but the file has flags and extra data for the raw engine converter. So technically it changes the raw file to set a flag, and may even add data, but it does not change the data, just adds to it.

Nov 04, 2014 at 02:27 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Round Three with early 7D MkII use.

#1. Light crop, DPP RAW (default sharpening reduced to zero), downsized for web, selective NR and sharpening in Photoshop.

#2. Heavier crop, DPP RAW (default sharpening), downsized for web, selective NR and no sharpening in Photoshop.

#3. About 50% crop, DPP RAW (default sharpening), downsized for web, no NR and no sharpening in Photoshop.

Nov 04, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Scott Stoness wrote:
Just to add to less confusion - I hope. I will add. Noise compression, lens correction, srgb/adobergb, ..., or any other option the camera does not change the pixel data in the raw, all it does is notes that you selected it, and records the other data that is collected and flags to the raw conversion engine (dpp, aperture, lR.. ) that you would like it to process in a different way by default (which some engines permit changing). So camera data is not changed but the file has flags and extra data for the raw engine converter.
...Show more

Nov 04, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

7dii Af drive going from MFD to near infinity is definitely faster than 1d4 with 600 IS II and 2ctxiii.

Nov 04, 2014 at 04:08 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

alundeb wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos7dii&attr13_1=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_2=canon_eos7d&attr13_3=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=100&attr16_1=100&attr16_2=100&attr16_3=100&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0.030225364560318164&y=1.8283127292764356e-16

well I have looked closely at the the charts/photos on the link and comparing the image quality of the 7D to the 7DII is a bit of a disappointment for me as that was my main reason for even looking at 7DII. There seems hardly any difference by this chart anyway. Im sure the autofocus is amazing but I cant get past the image quality. So now Im stumped as to what I should do. Do I really need a crop for birding given that I have a 5DIII and tamron 150-600. 7D is great in good light but pretty much crap in dull or low light and if that s the case Im assuming 7DII will be similar

Nov 04, 2014 at 06:49 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

The images don't seem to have a certain snap to them, that I see on well done FF. I don't understand why they shouldn't but there seems to be a lack of micro contrast and sharpness. Am I the only one?

Nov 04, 2014 at 06:54 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

jamato8 wrote:
The images don't seem to have a certain snap to them, that I see on well done FF. I don't understand why they shouldn't but there seems to be a lack of micro contrast and sharpness. Am I the only one?

I think we should be a little careful making generalized conclusions at this point. People are shooting and posting tests and not posting their best selected work.

Second, people are getting used to a new camera.

Third, a lot of raw processors have been tweeked for a long time on our current FF cameras. The same is not true of the 7D2. Thus, people don't know a. how to get the best output yet. b. are using beta tools or c. using a non-standard workflow.

The AF results so far sound very promising to me however.

Nov 04, 2014 at 07:00 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · New 7D Mark 2 Image and initial impression thread

Schlotkins wrote:
I think we should be a little careful making generalized conclusions at this point. People are shooting and posting tests and not posting their best selected work.

Second, people are getting used to a new camera.

Third, a lot of raw processors have been tweeked for a long time on our current FF cameras. The same is not true of the 7D2. Thus, people don't know a. how to get the best output yet. b. are using beta tools or c. using a non-standard workflow.

The AF results so far sound very promising to me however.

Ok but I haven't seen one image that has that real snap, stand out tonal depth. Many seem almost a little washed out, lacking in dynamics and contrast. I don't think you have to be or need to be, a whiz at working the software. I have some 5D images that have the standout realism that makes them a joy. It didn't take a great imaging working ability to get there, I know, I don't have but just enough to get me by. lol

I would like to get a 7DII but would like to see something really stand out. I have the 7D but never really took to it as I don't care for the ISO performance.

Nov 04, 2014 at 07:44 PM
1       2       3       4      
       6              16       17       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              16       17       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.