Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Where would you send out picture for editing

John Tran
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where would you send out picture for editing

Sometime I don't have time to edit all the pictures I took after a wedding.
I can use LR 5 for some minor editing like cropping....
So any place you suggest to send out for advanced editing ie: remove subject, object, sharpening....
Really appreciate your inputs.
Thanks.

Oct 30, 2014 at 05:06 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where would you send out picture for editing

I've used retouchup.com for advanced stuff that I can't do or don't want to spend time on.

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:42 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where would you send out picture for editing

I just moved to a new region and am looking for work. I managed to negotiate something with a local photographer editing his images. I asked for .18 cents a delivered image, but was willing to drop to .12 cents. He thought .18 was fair.

Something to think about if you have a lot of photographers in your area. Find someone who's good but not busy/successful and it could work for both of you.

Oct 31, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where would you send out picture for editing

I think he was looking for PS retouching not LR processing.

I would try to look in MM for the type of retouching the OP seems to be talking about.

swoop wrote:
I just moved to a new region and am looking for work. I managed to negotiate something with a local photographer editing his images. I asked for .18 cents a delivered image, but was willing to drop to .12 cents. He thought .18 was fair.

Something to think about if you have a lot of photographers in your area. Find someone who's good but not busy/successful and it could work for both of you.

Oct 31, 2014 at 09:30 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where would you send out picture for editing

Scott Mosher. Plain and simple.

He's a user here. Check him out.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where would you send out picture for editing

OT: how is .18 cents a viable rate to edit images?

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where would you send out picture for editing

For selecting, cropping, color correction, and some dodge and burn for a set of wedding images it's not too bad. I'm not going to make a living off of it but it help for like 2-3 hours of work. The other day I did a set of 700+ so that was about $126. There are people making less for second shooting.

Oct 31, 2014 at 03:27 PM
mikyor1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where would you send out picture for editing

china, its dirt cheap too, 150 bucks for 300+ images

Oct 31, 2014 at 04:55 PM
John Tran
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where would you send out picture for editing

Thanks for all responses. Will be in touch on my next project.

Mikyor1, do you have the link to website?

Thanks,

Oct 31, 2014 at 07:20 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where would you send out picture for editing

As a side job I charge $.20/image. I can get as much if not more in 8hrs editing than 2nd shooting, plus I don't have the wear/tear on the car and my gear.

Ziffl3 wrote:
OT: how is .18 cents a viable rate to edit images?

Oct 31, 2014 at 09:44 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where would you send out picture for editing

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Scott Mosher. Plain and simple.

He's a user here. Check him out.

Another plug for Scott. He did a few weddings for me last year when I was buried to my eyeballs, and he did just as well as I would have done on my own.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:03 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where would you send out picture for editing

This is an interesting topic for me. I feel a good majority of my creativity happens during the edit and while I do get swamped I feel like the edits are quite important. Can someone, Scott, explain how do you stylistically accomplish what the photog was shooting for or do you just imprint your own style or I am just curious to be honest.

Nov 01, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where would you send out picture for editing

At a shoot now but I'll respond later today

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:24 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where would you send out picture for editing

Scott and I both edit for people.
less than .25 cents and image and I don't think editing is very profitable unless you want to be on the computer 15 hours a day and be working 7 days a week all year long. It's just like weddings. The people doing it full time understand what it takes to make a living and charge accordingly. For those that just want some extra cash working for cheaper is fine.
For me .25cents an image is as low as I can go without feeling like I am wasting my time.

The way I edit for people is very simple. They send me a culled set of images from a wedding and I go through and apply a basic preset and do all basic corrections (they provide the preset and we work on the "look" together first). I do not do any creative editing which would include any PS work, gradients, exposure brush work etc. The reason I do not do that is because I am not the shooter and I will never really know what they intended the shot to be like. My goal is to provide finished images that can be uploaded to a gallery for the client to see. If the shooter wants to take them a little further or whatever for their blog then that is their choice.

The key to this whole process is for the shooter to be able to give up a little control. No matter what my edits may be a little different than what they would have done but as long as the images are 90% the same as what the shooter would have edited them as the time savings for them are usually worth it.

I have edited for people in the past that were so nit picky and wanted so many changes 1, 2, 3 times that it would have been faster for them to edit them themselves. Other people are fine just getting back finished images because they have families and lives they want to live and are willing to give up a little control.

I always tell potential editing clients that I should be able to get through an entire wedding say 750-1000 images in 3-4 hours of editing. If it takes me longer than that sometimes is not happening right somewhere. Having a good system in places allows me to have very quick turn around times.
I create a schedule and have each person on a different day. This way I can normally do about one day turn around if they send the images at the right time and everything goes smoothly.
Good communication, managing expectations, and a schedule is how it gets done quickly.

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:39 AM
John Tran
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where would you send out picture for editing

So what include in the price of .12, .18, .20, .25?
Crop,
sharpening
White Balance Adjustment
Exposure Adjustment
Object removal
Maximum time of re-adjustment? Up to 3 time? 4 time or until customer happy?

Nov 01, 2014 at 02:56 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where would you send out picture for editing

for me
.25 an image gets you
exposure
WB
highlight shadow adjustment
sharpening
HSL adjustment if needed
Occasional crop (my theory is that if you are cropping more than 25% of your photos you need to change the way you shoot)
Noise reduction if necessary
Done

I don't do anything else. I don't even own photoshop. If I cannot get through a 1000 images in 3-4 hours then it is not worth it to me.

I am looking to make large global edits to a large set of photos quickly and efficiently so you can get images back to clients. Re touchup .com charges like 10$ or something per image for object removal and heavy PS. No way I am spending more than 15 seconds on each image on average.

Nov 01, 2014 at 03:50 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where would you send out picture for editing

Well I was gonna do a big writeup but it was already done for me

hardlyboring wrote:
for me
.25 an image gets you
exposure
WB
sharpening
HSL adjustment if needed
Occasional crop (my theory is that if you are cropping more than 25% of your photos you need to change the way you shoot)
Done

I don't do anything else. I don't even own photoshop. If I cannot get through a 1000 images in 3-4 hours then it is not worth it to me.

I am looking to make large global edits to a large set of photos quickly and efficiently so you can get images back to clients. Re touchup .com charges like 10$ or
...Show more

Nov 01, 2014 at 04:25 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where would you send out picture for editing

haha
well that is just me! other people might be different. I have no desire to be a full time editor
I normally just pick up things here and there and edit for a couple people regularly who are really simple to do.

Nov 01, 2014 at 05:44 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where would you send out picture for editing

hardlyboring wrote:
for me
.25 an image gets you
exposure
WB
sharpening
HSL adjustment if needed
Done

I am looking to make large global edits to a large set of photos quickly and efficiently so you can get images back to clients. Re touchup .com charges like 10$ or
...Show more

I was going to add something but like Scott ... it done.
Another editor right here.

I do editing on the side to shooting.
Completely agree with Doug on the cropping.

-Mark

Nov 02, 2014 at 11:58 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where would you send out picture for editing

that is interesting for me, too. With a full time job, 25 weddings a year and 5 kids I need something to change (0:

I use Capture One for editing, I assume I have to switch to Lightroom, right?

When I set marker in PM, then it would be possible to edit those in b+W, correct?

How do you guys get the files? Something like dropbox? Is it manageable with so huge files? 1000 24 MP images is quite a bit...

thanks for your answer,

heiko

Nov 03, 2014 at 05:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.