Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

giddyup
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

I've decided to try one of the three wedding shows this January. I am looking for any and all suggestions as to how to prepare for the show as well as any pointers you can give. I will probably opt for a less expensive space at the show since it is my first show and I have a limited budget.

What else should I plan on budgeting for? Like how many prints, should they be custom framed, what size, and anything else you can think of.

Appreciate all comments, experience, and advice.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Be prepared to be amazed at how many other wedding photographers are out there, and jealous of the wedding industry people who don't have 40 competitors at the show.

Sorry, just trying to be realistic.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

I dont kn0ow and your area, but here its a bit crazy, like 50 photogs on every bridal show.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Nikon lmao we typed the same thing at the same time

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Thanks for your honesty lol!

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

We're attending our first bridal show in January. We'll have a couple of 30x40 canvas on display, many album samples, and Ill also have my short throw projector with me to project various slideshows in a continuous loop.

The booth area is 10x10, we designed it to be open. We set up three standing bar tables with two stools at each, so couples can sit down and look at samples, while we talk we them standing up.

Overall we'll have spent around 3000.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Be very specific with what photographs you show and push out there.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Francis: that sounds super nice! I don't quite have that budget, though. Maybe 2K. I was thinking of getting a few smaller canvases, like 8x10's so that I could also bring them to client meetings and use them again. I have four really nice frames that are custom, and I may also try to reuse those. I am sort of at a loss for decor, though.

ricardo, I was thinking I would mainly focus on shots of the bride and groom, or bridals, and maybe just show a few details.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:24 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

giddyup wrote:
ricardo, I was thinking I would mainly focus on shots of the bride and groom, or bridals, and maybe just show a few details.

You need to be more specific than that.

Ask yourself: Why should someone hire you over any other photographer?

That should help you weed things out and find what will work best.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

I just did my first show last Sunday. I kept it pretty modest. The show was small (about 80 brides) and had around 20 vendors. 3 other vendors were photographers.

I spent about $100 on decor items (table cloth, jewelry box used to hold the ticket entries, fancy-ish plates to lay business cards and lollipops on, etc). Then I had the usual stuff like sample albums, canvas wraps, and prints in simple frames. I also hooked up a large monitor to play a slideshow but noticed that no one stopped to look at it--everyone went straight to my albums.

I put the most effort into creating an "Insider's Guide to Hiring a Wedding Photographer." I didnt write it as a way to say "look how much better I am than others" but more simply as a friend who wants to help you make a good choice. I hope it will stand out among all the brochures and be a resource brides will keep around, plus give me a few points in the "expertise" and "trustworthy" category.

Even though I kept it pretty simple, I was still nicely put together, especially in comparison to the other photographers. There was a DJ next to me who was embarrassed at his display and did a lot of compensating for it when he talked to brides (thought it came off a bit desperate). So, definitely know your show and how fancy the other vendors will get!

No walls or pipe and drape were provided at this show (instead we lined the perimeter of the ballroom). I had large canvas samples on easels, but I decorated most of my table with prints - 8x10 and 11x14. They were not big enough.

Also, about what images I used--my strategy was to show that I do relaxed portraits that are kicked up a notch--B&G on paddle boards, B&G on giant hay bales, B&G lit up at night under an umbrella with back lighting. I really enjoy portraits so 98% of what I displayed were portraits. Nothing too crazy, but it's the type of client I want and I know it sets me apart from the other photographers here. Then I had 1 awesome ring shot and 1 really fun reception shot to further show that I like to "kick things up a notch."

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

sgtbueno wrote:
Nikon lmao we typed the same thing at the same time

Yeah, it's almost like we've been to a bridal show where we were right next to each other or something.

Oct 31, 2014 at 07:16 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

So, the ones I have gone to, the one that has the most creative booth, wins. If you have an wooden shelves, and a rustic crates and flowers in a mason jar, and things to grab pinteresty females eye, you win.

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:10 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Thanks for all of the suggestions, experience, etc. Very helpful.

There is a restore in my town and I am thinking about visiting it weekly from now until January to see if I can find furnishings and decor. It will save me some cash and I can spend most of my budget on prints, frames, etc.

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Nikon_14 wrote:
Be prepared to be amazed at how many other wedding photographers are out there, and jealous of the wedding industry people who don't have 40 competitors at the show.

Sorry, just trying to be realistic.

Not only this, but be prepared for bridal show planners to lie to you.

I used to work countless shows with another photographer. Photographers regularly get charged more than everyone else, they also get told they have guaranteed locations (usually corner booths or booths that are slightly larger than others), and when you show up, you have a small booth. They also tell you they will keep photographers equally spaced out, so you're not directly competing with your neighbor. This is rarely the case, and I've had to push photographer services smack in between a video guy, and another photographer.

Additionally, if you say you do boudoir, but market a little wedding material, they charge you less solely based upon that.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

too funny but real, I had a photo right across from me, Nikon was to my left and another photog about 25 feet to my right

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Joel J Photogr
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

https://www.facebook.com/Joelsviewphotography/photos/a.657009897670849.1073741846.200661193305724/657010007670838/?type=3&theater

Link to my booth from last year ^^

Worked awesome. I'm stoked for this January, since I've done it 4 times now, I feel more ready than ever, But having my finger's crossed that the brides will be looking for 2016 as 2015 is just about full.

Like said above, in most areas, Just be ready for competition.

I'm sure it is different at every bridal expo, I was prepared for sit downs, a lot more conversation, and booking on the spot. But have grown to realize the show I am in, Thats far from the case, brides are on a fast movement walking by, so I aim for, then remembering anything about me/my work, and getting my pamphlet/business card in their bag so when they sit down after the madness and pull out my business card, it sparks in their head.

Oct 31, 2014 at 06:00 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

What's your price point? I've only done two bridal shows, but a handful of open houses with a venue I partner with. When I was priced lower ($2400 for coverage and $600 for images) I booked about 4 weddings per open house. Once I went over that price point bookings dropped off. The last 3 shows (2 open houses and one bridal show) I've booked zero weddings. Possibly because my "display" was simple, but it seems that the higher price points can't compete at bridal shows. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that's been my experience.

Oct 31, 2014 at 08:51 PM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

Joel J Photogr wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Joelsviewphotography/photos/a.657009897670849.1073741846.200661193305724/657010007670838/?type=3&theater

Link to my booth from last year ^^

Worked awesome. I'm stoked for this January, since I've done it 4 times now, I feel more ready than ever, But having my finger's crossed that the brides will be looking for 2016 as 2015 is just about full.

Like said above, in most areas, Just be ready for competition.

I'm sure it is different at every bridal expo, I was prepared for sit downs, a lot more conversation, and booking on the spot. But have grown to realize the show I am in, Thats far from the case, brides are
...Show more

Nice setup! Where did you get the panels at for your background?

Nov 01, 2014 at 07:23 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

morby wrote:
What's your price point? I've only done two bridal shows, but a handful of open houses with a venue I partner with. When I was priced lower ($2400 for coverage and $600 for images) I booked about 4 weddings per open house. Once I went over that price point bookings dropped off. The last 3 shows (2 open houses and one bridal show) I've booked zero weddings. Possibly because my "display" was simple, but it seems that the higher price points can't compete at bridal shows. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that's been my experience.

This is my first year, so my price point is still slightly below the 2K mark. In part, the show will also be a way for my business to get some initial exposure, and an opportunity to meet some local vendors.

Nov 01, 2014 at 07:28 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · !st Time Wedding Show Advice and Ideas

morby wrote:

I think it can also depend upon the type of venue and the company you're in, and of course if your display and presentation really shows why you're worth your price. Some of the more wedding factory type venues will naturally attract people with lower budgets from the beginning, or, you might just be unlucky, and get a stream of 'just looking' or 'looking at June 2032' types. If you're surrounded by a load of budget photographers it's not going to do you any good to be compared to them, even if you are evidentially worth a lot more.

Not saying it's as simple as that but it definitely can work for 'higher priced' people.

Nov 01, 2014 at 07:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.