New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

I have been getting some pictures ready for printing for a local art show. I recently noticed the strange to me picture sizes that my camera creates. For example; 16.4 x 10.8 inches, 12.3 x 8.2 inches, 8.2 x 5.4 inches. These are the large, medium and small settings available to me from my camera. WTF? Have you ever seen a frame or paper size 16.4 x 10.9? This is really problem causing for me. What is with Nikon using these sizes?

Edited on Oct 30, 2014 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM
AlanWrench

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

Did you ever make prints from 35mm film?
Same ratio! And if you don't like 16.4 inches, print it a different size!

Jerry

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

Any PP editor should let you resize and crop to whatever size and aspect ratio you need.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

The point is, I don't want to crop. I shot it the way that it looked in the viewfinder. I finally had to manage it in PS. Is this DX format the same as film? I thought film was FX.

Oct 30, 2014 at 01:28 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

film can be anything from 24x36mm to 56x56mm to 4"x5", half frame (Oly Pen) and anything in between. DX and FX are just trendy designations. The D7000 viewfinder is not 100%.

Those are just a few things to consider when picking up a camera with the intention to print something.

On film the image edges were useless anyways. Cropping mandatory

Oct 30, 2014 at 01:49 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

William, I am surprised at this question. You have been on FM for 8 years, so I am guessing you have been using a camera for that long, and you have never printed before??

You do know that when you print, or have someone print for you, that the software will adjust the file to print to whatever size you want? If you stay at 2:3 format, no cropping is needed. In 99.99% of the time the resizing that the printer does will be just as good as Photoshop, so what's the issue? If you are trying to print larger then the recommended up rezzing size for a printer, they will warn you. So you are worrying about what?

What size are you printing to? You never stated.

Jim

Oct 30, 2014 at 02:02 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

You can always have custom made frames and photo paper cut to those sizes for a price!

Oct 30, 2014 at 05:55 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

The camera does not create picture sizes, odd or not. It simply has a default PPI tag in the JPEG. That simply results in a notional output size which is simply the file's actual pixel dimensions divided by the PPI value. The only effect this output size has is on the default print size.

You can readily change the output PPI in PS or another editor to provide the output size you want, without actually changing the pixel dimensions of the file (ie an actual resize that alters the image). This also renders file sizes other than Large completely irrelevant unless storage is an issue.

Oct 30, 2014 at 06:35 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

williamkazak wrote:
For example; 16.4 x 10.9 inches, 12.3 x 8.2 inches, 8.2 x 5.4 inches. ... This is really problem causing for me.

As others note above, those inch dimensions are totally meaningless stated like that. It's the pixel resolution you need to worry about and whether you have enough for the required print sizes you want. If you have a 4500 x 3000 image, for example, you could print 60 x 40 inches at 75 ppi, 30 x 20 at 150 ppi, 15 x 10 at 300 ppi, 6 x 4 at 750 ppi, 3 x 2 at 1500 ppi, or whatever (just work the math). At some point, you would say you don't have enough pixels for what you want to do (eg. that 60x40 at 75 ppi might not be the quality you're looking for).

I'm curious about your statement that this is causing a problem for you, though. How are those inch figures affecting you?

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:10 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

Well, for this show, I wanted to make a 10 x 13 inch print to make full use of a frame that I bought. That frame had an 8 x 10 inch mat inside it but I did not need the mat so I used the entire picture frame and I removeed the mat. I had to resize the pic in PS from the 16.4 x 10.8 inch original NEF. I did not want to alter the dimensions of the original NEF but I did to make the jpg fit the frame.

Also, I wanted to make a different pic 5 x 7 inch to fit another mat that I had. That meant I had to alter the dimensions in PS from the 16.4 x 10.8 inch original NEF. That is something I did not want to do because I shot it the way I wanted it to look. Basically, I had to crop to the exact size I wanted.

I am not a numbers guy and I have made prints before but I wanted exact sizes for these, I wanted to keep the quality and I wanted the entire picture to look as I shot it. Somehow, I did not realize that the camera was giving me such an original size as 16.4 x 10.8. I am wondering how NIkon came up with this size?

Edited on Oct 30, 2014 at 05:12 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:35 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

It sounds like you just want a frame that is a 3:2 aspect ratio. A camera sensor and 35mm are 3:2 ratio, so if you want to print/frame exactly what your camera sees, you need to stick with 3:2 prints and frames.

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:44 AM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

williamkazak wrote:
I wanted the entire picture to look as I shot it..

Which is impossible, unless you print to an aspect ratio identical to your camera's capture.

The Nikon aspect ratio is 2:3. Which means you could print a 4x6, 8x12, or 16x24 and have it look as you shot it. Except that you still can't, because, as was pointed out, the D7000 viewfinder does not show 100% of the image being captured.

Frame a bit loosely, then crop as required for the aspect ratio (not the size!) of the print you are making.

Some Nikon viewfinders will show 100% of the image being captured; some will also give you the option of 4x5 capture - these are pro or semi-pro bodies, and cost a lot more than your D7000.

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:46 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

You can always print the exact size you have if you use white borders!

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:04 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

williamkazak wrote:
I am not a numbers guy and I have made prints before but I wanted exact sizes for these, I wanted to keep the quality and I wanted the entire picture to look as I shot it. Somehow, I did not realize that the camera was giving me such an original size as 16.4 x 10.8. I am wondering how NIkon came up with this size? I am jealous of the Canon guy who puts out 4 x 5's for his personal work. That is a numer I understand.

A digital image has no physical dimensions. It only has pixel dimensions (for example my D3200's images are 6016x4000 pixels). Any Physical dimensions reported are simply due to a default DPI/PPI tag in the file and has no actual bearing on reality.

The process by which those pixel dimensions are mapped to printer output sizes are totally arbitrary and set at print time. The D7000's output in RAW or JPEG Large is 4928 x 3264. That's a 3:2 aspect ratio.

That canon guy printing 4x5's is cropping. The only digital cameras you can get native 4x5's from is a couple Nikon's with the 4:5 crop mode (the D8x0's and IIRC the D3's and D4's).

You set exact print sizes when you print, in the print driver or in PS proper.

You cannot get a 5x7 without cropping unless you want to shoot 5x7 LF. It's a weird aspect ratio and matches nothing else. 8x10's and 4x5's match old LF aspect ratios, not the 3:2 aspect ratio most modern DSLR's inherited from 35mm film.

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:35 AM
summersolstice

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

I found it strange as well you didn't consider the ratios ahead. I hope you figure everything out.

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:38 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

Either get custom frames AFTER you print for when you know the actual dimensions or create a digital border as DaveOls suggested. This can be white or any other color that complements the image.

We all live in a 12 hot dogs in a package to 10 buns world....

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:56 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

I'm very surprised at this question as I know you've been shooting for a very long time and have done wedding photography as well, with your D300 when you had them. Anyway, I hope you got it all sorted out!

Oct 30, 2014 at 09:25 AM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

Reminds me of the new student at the School of Art & Design I worked at who came up to a technician and complained that she had tried all the enlargers in both darkrooms (about 20) and couldn't find one which gave the print size she wanted...

Gerry

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:20 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

William, I see two issues in your posts:

1. You are still hung up on your camera shooting "an original size as 16.4 x 10.8" inches despite a number of us telling you this is totally meaningless. Get to know what pixel resolution your files have and forget about those inch numbers - Your camera doesn't know what an "inch" is. Specifically, the D7000 shoots 4928x3264 in RAW and JPG Large, 3696x2448 JPG Medium, and 2464x1632 JPG Small. Given those numbers, note that the aspect ratio (the shape of the rectangle of those images) from your camera is 3:2, meaning that the long side is about 1.5 times as long as the short side, and this is important for issue #2 below...

2. You can't force something that is one particular shape to look like some different shape without making adjustments. You need to understand that the aspect ratio of your D7000 images means that without making any adjustment you can print common sizes like 3x2, 6x4, 12x8, or 30x20 inch without any issue (because these all have the long side 1.5 times the short side), however, any other size where the long side is not 1.5 times the short side will mean you need to adjust your image. So when you say you want a 13 x 10 inch print, you will need to do something because 13 divided by 10 is not 1.5. Typically you would put the numbers 13 and 10 in a crop tool which would force a bounding box to always give you a rectangle of that shape and you would drag it on your image to select what you want to lop off your original so you end up with the right 13:10 shape.

Another option to adjust the image to fit instead of cropping would be adding a border around the image in a way that the result is the shape you want (eg. more border in one dimension than the other). You mentioned you use PS. You can do this by using the canvas size function. Another option to make it fit is stretching the image but that generally looks quite terrible, so forget about that idea.

I hope this helps.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Odd Picture Sizes Nikon D7000

Using Photoshop or Lightroom its easy to position the image on the size paper you have in the printer and adjust to give a pleasing print. Usually if there is spare space equal borders at the sides and a larger bottom border than top looks right IMHO.
At least with A sizes the aspect ratio of the paper stay the same, the old inch sizes here in the uk were all over the place.

Gerry

Oct 30, 2014 at 01:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.