Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I'll be purchasing a Mac pretty soon and I'm trying to figure out what would be best to edit weddings.
Should I get a 27 inches 5k iMac or a Mac Pro and use my 27 inches Dell that's almost brand new?
I do understand that the a mac pro is faster but I also know that the imac can get the job done.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

Actually the entry mac pro is slower then the the i7 retina iMac (upgraded processor).

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

Yeah LR is all about clock speed, so the 4ghz i7 is more than likely going to outperform the Mac Pro for the kind of things we do.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to upgrade the GPU to offset any possible retina tax. The first gen retina MBP's really struggled to keep up with the screen, but I haven't heard anyone say whether that's the case with the iMac. Hopefully the entry level GPU is adequate.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I would get neither and wait until next year to decide. I don't think the new iMac's are as powerful as they need to be for the 5k display. CPU and GPU are just ok, considering what's around the corner. It's also not a good idea to buy a display that will be relevant for 5-7+ years that's built into a machine which will be outdated next year.

I am crossing my fingers they come out with a beastly macbook pro and/or mac mini next year, along with an external thunderbolt 5k display. that would be ideal.. as least for me. most likely won't happen though.

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:36 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I was running 4.2ghz on a 27" screen five years ago. Just sayin'.

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:58 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

shi%, thats my thing, I can't wait, I'm editing right now on a laptop Asus i7, its doing the work just find but I need to have a backup pc, my laptop was my backup, I like to have 2 of everything and my old pc just dropped dead last week after good 6 years of service, so its time for me to get something else.

I was thinking either the entry Mac pro or the upgraded imac, so I should go with the Imac 4ghz instead of the entry Mac pro?

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:10 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

All you'll get here is people eager to spend your money. Build a monster that will outlast those threefold for a fraction of the cost of either.

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:31 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

do you mean to build my own Windows pc?

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:48 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

sgtbueno wrote:
do you mean to build my own Windows pc?

build one if you are on a tight budget and you are ok with maintaining it. it's a lot of fun if you have some extra time.

i sold my 5 GHz water cooled PC beast last year and switched over to an imac and macbook pro + thunderbolt display. other than some performance decrease, it's been amazing. i am a still a big PC guy but i wanted portability (laptop) and something that looked nice in our new office (NOT a pc), and was fine shelling out the dough for all of it. honestly both are great experiences and you can't go wrong.

if you decide to build don't get a gaudy case like most do, look into Lian-Li or another manufacturer than makes solid aluminum mini-itx cases.

Oct 30, 2014 at 09:04 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

Yes, PC, and +1 on the Lian Li. When I had my LL, a lot of people asked me where I got the black Mac. lol

Oct 30, 2014 at 09:11 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I always build my own pc, for over 25 five years now, but this time I'm going the Mac route, so Windows is not an option this time.

Oct 30, 2014 at 09:13 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I edit on a MBP and PC desktop. I do all of the serious editing on the MBP because I have a lot of love for the retina display. Both are calibrated, but the desktop needs a more serious display. I do web stuff, image exporting, DVDs, and all of that stuff from the desktop. I also manage my master LR library on the desktop.

My case is the Fractal R4. It is made in Sweden and really, really well made. Lots of thoughtful features for keeping it quiet, dust free, and cool. Also, it doesn't look like a sci-fi movie prop, so that is a big bonus. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811352020&gclid=CjwKEAjww8eiBRCE7qvK9Z7W_DgSJABfOjf2TPgL5olT2OFDZ4PQ8hfx4MnJyEDY1JYv4x1O-5ooiRoC9Ybw_wcB

If you've got a good display for your desktop that is near new, I don't see much reason to replace it with an iMac. If you want a Mac Pro and are okay spending the money on it, that seems like an okay option as well.

Oct 30, 2014 at 09:19 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

sgtbueno wrote:
I always build my own pc, for over 25 five years now, but this time I'm going the Mac route, so Windows is not an option this time.

So, why are you swapping? You've yet to say. Because it's shiny?

Oct 30, 2014 at 09:26 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I'm swapping because it looks better in my studio, because I like the idea of having a 3 year warranty from Apple and I really love that you can sell your mac few years down the road and still get good money for it. But this conversation is not about why, I'm just trying to find out what route to take, iMac or Mac pro.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

sgtbueno wrote:
I'm swapping because it looks better in my studio, because I like the idea of having a 3 year warranty from Apple and I really love that you can sell your mac few years down the road and still get good money for it. But this conversation is not about why, I'm just trying to find out what route to take, iMac or Mac pro.

If it is really just about aesthetics in your studio, I'd say get the iMac. It is going to be clean a free of cables and the retina display of that size is bound to be simply amazing. If you are ever having clients look at the display, it will show your work as well as possible, too. Those that are concerned about the iMac not being powerful enough, I disagree somewhat if you're using it for LR & PS. If you were trying to crunch video, I'd say get the Mac Pro because that is really what they are geared towards. For photo work, though, the iMac should be more than sufficient. If it isn't, you can resell in a couple of years and put it toward something else. You can use your like-new Dell 27 hooked to your laptop or just resell it.

If it is primarily about how it looks on the desk and client display, I vote iMac.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

Yeah, no video here, just images. I'll keep my Dell Ultra sharp as a backup to use with my laptop.
Thank you for the advice, it really help.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

sgtbueno wrote:

You do know that everything you buy to build a PC comes with warranties, right? The length is up to you based on what you choose. The "prettiness" is completely in your hands as well. Thus, the reason a couple of us pointed to a Lian Li case. As for resale, PCs can hold value too if you build top of the line. So, yea, you can save the money now and go cheap, or spend extra now for the pretty and lower specs and attempt to get it back later. If you're hellbent on Apple, just get the iMac. It's the prettiest.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

This time I'm going with Apple, listen you can try to resell a pc that you builded, good luck with getting to sell it and to get decent money for it, even with laptops, same thing.

Also, I dont have time to be pulling bad mobo and contacting companies to get it replaced, its not the same as taking a mac to the Apple store few minutes from me, and yes, it looks really good lol

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

I want that 5K screen for Windows, please!

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mac pro or iMac 5k

sgtbueno wrote:
..listen you can try to resell a pc that you builded, good luck with getting to sell it and to get decent money for it, even with laptops, same thing.

Not to argue, but I sold a $3k built rig for $1500 at four years old. What mattered was the components. So, it can be done smartly. Good luck with Apple.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.